Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Titanic finder to start new Earhart search

Still Waters

Explorer Robert Ballard has found enough sunken ships to start a modest ghost fleet.

The Titanic. The carrier USS Yorktown lost at Midway. President John F. Kennedy's patrol boat sunk in the warm Solomon Sea. Ancient vessels in the Black Sea knotted with mariner skeletons.

Now, after decades of finding the nearly unfindable, Ballard will set a course August 7 for Nikumaroro, the uninhabited Pacific island south of nowhere, and attempt to solve the mystery of aviator Amelia Earhart's disappearance.

Earhart vanished in 1937 alongside navigator Fred Noonan as she sought to become the first female pilot to circumnavigate the globe. Since then, explorers and researchers have obsessed over Earhart's disappearance, perhaps the greatest unsolved mystery of the 20th century.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-explorer-found-the-titanic-and-now-he-s-searching-for-amelia-earhart

• Like 5

I thought they found remains of the plane, clothes etc?? 

• Like 3

I would be searching for every pirate ship wreck if I was that good but I would never advertise it. I'm sure plenty of ship wrecks have been found & kept hush hush.. You don't hear about them cause technically it would be property of the country of origin, I think.

14 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I thought they found remains of the plane, clothes etc?? 

Yeah, I was under that impression too. Pretty sure I read a while back that enough conclusive remains/evidence has been found and the 'mystery' was put to bed.

• Like 1

I think her skeleton was found long ago, misidentified and lost to history. Some things, unfortunately, are always going to be beyond our ken. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.

7 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Yeah, I was under that impression too. Pretty sure I read a while back that enough conclusive remains/evidence has been found and the 'mystery' was put to bed.

The skeleton found on the island was identified as male and she was ruled out. The plane, while reportedly seen, was lost to sight (on a reef?) after a storm. There are bits and pieces of debris and tantalizing clues left on a barren island but the one thing that could have solved this -- the skeleton -- has been lost.

20 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I'd like to go on an expedition like that, no pay, just feed me and tell me what to do.

You can make something like that happen -- even on a minor scale.  Call your local Science Museum and see if they need volunteers on a dig.  I only went looking for mastodons and signs that man hunted them, but it was wonderful! Endlessly fascinating and educating.  And, hey, shouldn't we all say we at least spent some time getting sun burned and bug bit and roughing it for science?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AllPossible said:

I would be searching for every pirate ship wreck if I was that good but I would never advertise it. I'm sure plenty of ship wrecks have been found & kept hush hush.. You don't hear about them cause technically it would be property of the country of origin, I think.

But what good would it be for you to keep it quiet?  You couldn't ever cash in on any of the finds.  Museums would need provenance -- documented evidence of where you got what you have.   It's hard to trade pieces of eight for cash on almost any market.  I think that finder's fees apply in a lot of locations but, even without that, the fame that comes with it might mean more in the long run than what you can grab out of the grave.  And, somewhere deep inside me, I hope these people treasure the history more than the $$.

14 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

But what good would it be for you to keep it quiet?  You couldn't ever cash in on any of the finds.  Museums would need provenance -- documented evidence of where you got what you have.   It's hard to trade pieces of eight for cash on almost any market.  I think that finder's fees apply in a lot of locations but, even without that, the fame that comes with it might mean more in the long run than what you can grab out of the grave.  And, somewhere deep inside me, I hope these people treasure the history more than the $$.

I'm talking about the black market/melting the gold down. There are ways to make it untraceable. Most of the money coming to the Americas was funding a genocide anyway. It's kinda sad.

Edited by AllPossible

4 hours ago, AllPossible said:

I'm talking about the black market/melting the gold down. There are ways to make it untraceable. Most of the money coming to the Americas was funding a genocide anyway. It's kinda sad.

And after searching out those black market/melty sources and getting your cut, do you really think that would be worth more than being able to proclaim to the world that you found <whatever> shipwreck?  BTW, you still have to do something with that money.  It shows up in your life one way or the other, even if you don't put it on your taxes. People are caught like that all the time.  You can't buy houses and cars and open bank accounts without accounting for the money.  In the USA, you have to account for any deposit over $9,999. So now you have have to launder some money to make it legit and, wow --  it all just gets so tiresome, doesn't it?  (Watch BREAKING BAD.) And with the possibility of prison hanging over it all?  Does it REALLY seem worth it to hide it? The ones who think so are ALWAYS the ones who get caught by their own greed.  It's just easier to be the discoverer and take your fame and whatever percentage law allows, IMO.

13 hours ago, Seti42 said:

FWIW...

Three years later, and 350 nautical miles southwest of Howland, a British official in Nikumaroro discovered 13 bones buried near the remains of a campfire on the island. The bones were shipped to Fiji, where two doctors examined them. One thought they came from an elderly Polynesian male; the other, David Hoodless, postulated that they belonged to a European male.

The bones have since disappeared, but Hoodless’s seven measurements survived—four of the skull and three long bone lengths (humerus, radius, and tibia).

Richard Jantz, a forensic anthropologist at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, recently analyzed those measurements as well as Earhart’s body dimensions as indicated by photographs and articles of clothing. The evidence, he says, “strongly supports the conclusion that the Nikumaroro bones belonged to Amelia Earhart.”

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/amelia-earhart-bones-forensic-analysis/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, Still Waters said:

Explorer Robert Ballard has found enough sunken ships to start a modest ghost fleet.

The Titanic. The carrier USS Yorktown lost at Midway. President John F. Kennedy's patrol boat sunk in the warm Solomon Sea. Ancient vessels in the Black Sea knotted with mariner skeletons.

Now, after decades of finding the nearly unfindable, Ballard will set a course August 7 for Nikumaroro, the uninhabited Pacific island south of nowhere, and attempt to solve the mystery of aviator Amelia Earhart's disappearance.

Earhart vanished in 1937 alongside navigator Fred Noonan as she sought to become the first female pilot to circumnavigate the globe. Since then, explorers and researchers have obsessed over Earhart's disappearance, perhaps the greatest unsolved mystery of the 20th century.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-explorer-found-the-titanic-and-now-he-s-searching-for-amelia-earhart

Sounds interesting, hope they finally put the speculation to bed. The question I would like answered was she on an intelligence mission for the war effort.

I hate remakes. No one can out TIGHAR, TIGHAR.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:05 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Sounds interesting, hope they finally put the speculation to bed. The question I would like answered was she on an intelligence mission for the war effort.

What could she possibly have been doing that couldn’t have been done better by the military? 

4 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

What could she possibly have been doing that couldn’t have been done better by the military? 

That has been a long standing thought of why she disappeared.

7 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

Make her self look like someone that is not military :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Make her self look like someone that is not military :)

And...  ??  What? Fly over places?  Her flight wasn't a secret. Everyone knew she was in the air. And everyone knew what she looked like. I guess I can't figure out what "secret mission" she could have been on that wouldn't have taken .0000001 of a second for someone to figure out.  If you have any good ideas, please, share.  But as a conspiracy theory, there's just no meat on the bone.

Edited by ScotDeerie
  • Like 1

Interesting.  That must be why PBS aired a documentary about her that included her childhood last  night.

1 hour ago, ScotDeerie said:

And...  ??  What? Fly over places?  Her flight wasn't a secret. Everyone knew she was in the air. And everyone knew what she looked like. I guess I can't figure out what "secret mission" she could have been on that wouldn't have taken .0000001 of a second for someone to figure out.  If you have any good ideas, please, share.  But as a conspiracy theory, there's just no meat on the bone.

Well, no one knows for sure, of course. At least not us in here.

The CIA used high profile people before to be spies. Go back prior to WWII, the Americans were going to have a tour of a baseball team in Japan and the best player the Tigers had, Hank Greenburg, was actually a spy for the CIA, at least, on that tour.

Right now, the CIA hires certain airline pilots to spy. They are not full time employees of the CIA but they spy. 

In general, high profile people have access to more places and high ranking officials than us plebes :)

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Right now, the CIA hires certain airline pilots to spy. They are not full time employees of the CIA but they spy. 

In general, high profile people have access to more places and high ranking officials than us plebes :)

She was in a two person plane with a specific flight plan, not embarking on a Good Will tour of the world. There wasn't going to be socializing. Who was she going to get intel from?  Someone gassing up the plane?  It's a ridiculous premise created by people who can't deal with the fact that sometimes the **** hits the fan -- even for famous people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always held the view that she was captured by the Japanese and executed by firing squad.  

On 7/26/2019 at 8:29 AM, Seti42 said:

They found a landing light of the electra some time ago no? I thing I read that on unexplained this winter?

Edited by Jon the frog