Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can a hoverboard cross the English Channel ?

UM-Bot

He will do it one day.

I think it is pretty cool, but would not like to see hundreds of people trying to cross the channel at the same time in one of those, some people can just about keep to the roads.

This would be a good sport, but please do not let joe public loose on these.

• Like 2

It has a 5 gallon fuel tank. The crazy part about technology & how fast our batteries are advancing, I think within 5-10 years we won't need gas powered hoverboards. In fact I'm sure the technology is there but for very important people like Navy Seals. They have an unlimited budget & DARPA will create anything the Seals come up with. Our civilian technology is probably 10+ years behind what the government already possess

• Like 1

Awesome! If he keeps trying and never gives up, he will eventually make it. Part of success is to keep at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katniss said:

Awesome! If he keeps trying and never gives up, he will eventually make it. Part of success is to keep at it.

As someone who lives in Niagara Falls and has great knowledge of everyone who has ever thought they could go over the falls unscathed, you know, just because that would be REALLY cool, let me recommend he has all his affairs in order and a will in the hands of a reliable attorney.  Ride on!

Edited by ScotDeerie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Katniss said:

My experience with such people is far removed from your optimistic view. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the dare devils and their daring deeds, but I know it ends up in tears far more than it ends in success. Living is Niagara Falls does that to you.  Do you remember that guy who thought he could go over the falls on a Ski-doo?  It was a couple of decades ago now.  They still haven't found his body.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

He will do it one day.

I think it is pretty cool, but would not like to see hundreds of people trying to cross the channel at the same time in one of those, some people can just about keep to the roads.

This would be a good sport, but please do not let joe public loose on these.

The specific design was purchased by the US military, and is not available for general public use.

The FAA in America has restricted use.

Curiously, one can actually build one, so the flyboard tech is not entirely unavailable.

The US Navy SEALS's won't use them because they are incredibly noisy due to the mini-turbine engines.

Forget about silent approach... the noise is so very loud.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pallidin said:

The specific design was purchased by the US military, and is not available for general public use.

The FAA in America has restricted use.

Curiously, one can actually build one, so the flyboard tech is not entirely unavailable.

The US Navy SEALS's won't use them because they are incredibly noisy due to the mini-turbine engines.

Forget about silent approach... the noise is so very loud.

As with most things, people will want one.

Flyboard Air is a type of jetpack/hoverboard powered by gas turbines.[1] It was invented by French water-craft rider Franky Zapata, founder of Zapata racing.

It achieved a Guinness World Record for farthest flight by hoverboard in April 2016 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyboard_Air

The design is our there and the only way to prevent the deathwishers to head out over the channel, is to put a restriction on who can own one. 

The US military are not going to stop people crossing the channel because - its not their channel.

They are not going to stop people building them either, because - it is not their design.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That... is... actually.... very... impressive!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

That... is... actually.... very... impressive!

Hey, Die, if you haven't already you should check-out some of the flyboard videos on YouTube. 

• Like 1

Just to reiterate, Franky Zapata managed the crossing on the hoverboard today LINK.  More than a little amazing.  

• Like 1

That is really cool. I congratulate him. I think we'll see more of this type of contraption in the future as better plans for construction and power become available. But, as always seems to be the case, it will eventually be used for evil purposes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cathya said:

That is really cool. I congratulate him. I think we'll see more of this type of contraption in the future as better plans for construction and power become available. But, as always seems to be the case, it will eventually be used for evil purposes.

I agree about the evil purposes.  I fully intend to buy one for use in creating grafitti in high places and effecting a speedy exit.

• Haha 1

This seems like a very dangerous piece of equipment, as spectacular as it is.

• Like 1