Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House Democrats launch official impeachment i

ExpandMyMind

The House of Representatives began a six-week recess Friday, as questions swirl about whether Democrats will try to impeach President Trump. The issue arose again as former special counsel Robert Mueller testified before Congress on the Russia investigation. Lisa Desjardins joins Judy Woodruff to discuss why the official launch of an impeachment investigation is both “different and significant.”

House Democrats launch official impeachment investigation

https://www.pbs.org/video/impeachment-1564179397/

Really they were left with no choice. Throughout their entire investigation so far, Trump has been claiming Executive Privilege and refusing to let people give evidence before the House. Now, as far as I'm aware, he can't do that. An Impeachment investigation is outwith the court system due to the whole checks and balances - if you don't answer questions, there's no challenging it in court. You simply go to jail.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 6

:sleepy: Really ought they not be concentrating on the campaign for the election coming up in just over a year? Such as deciding on a candidate who remotely appeals to the electorate, instead of endlessly fannying about with their futile sour grapes from the last time round??

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

:sleepy: Really ought they not be concentrating on the campaign for the election coming up in just over a year? Such as deciding on a candidate who remotely appeals to the electorate, instead of endlessly fannying about with their futile sour grapes from the last time round??

Is it more important to remove him via elections and try and move the nation forward or is it more important to ensure the sanctity of our nation's institutions?

Although torn I think personally the latter is probably the correct moral decision and am honestly starting to question the motives of folks like Pelosi on the matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

They don't have a viable candidate that can hopefully win against Trump so all they have is impeachment.

They'll light the fire and they should be aware of the consequences of backdraft.

What a colossal joke the Democrat party has become.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It should be noted that this isn't an impeachment 'inquiry', but an impeachment 'investigation'. They are de facto the same, and I think the hope is that knowledge that this is an investigation into impeachment will be reflected in the courts, regarding the administration's refusal to cooperate. While it is not separate from the courts, as I incorrectly assumed above, it should lend a lot of weight to any arguments made in court regarding the numerous subpoenas that have been ignored.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

They don't have a viable candidate that can hopefully win against Trump so all they have is impeachment.

That's a bit optimistic, or perhaps naïve. Any candidate would do better than Hillary, and she barely lost. Polling puts both Biden and Sanders ahead of Trump, with Warren and Harris roughly on level with Trump.

It'll be another close one, at the very least.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's a bit optimistic, or perhaps naïve. Any candidate would do better than Hillary, and she barely lost. Polling puts both Biden and Sanders ahead of Trump, with Warren and Harris roughly on level with Trump.

Thanks for the laugh. It makes a good start to my day.

Edited by Buzz_Light_Year
  • Like 3

On 7/27/2019 at 8:11 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

They'll light the fire and they should be aware of the consequences of backdraft.

What a colossal joke the Democrat party has become.

I know one thing, the Dems are no stranger to losing LOL

I just hope and pray that the Dem congress votes on it before 2020. That will make them three time losers and an embarrassment to the nation

• Like 3

On 7/27/2019 at 8:45 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

Polling puts both Biden and Sanders ahead of Trump, with Warren and Harris roughly on level with Trump.

Yes, and one week before 2016, Hilary was winning by a strong margin. You still put faith in pollsters?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Yes, and one week before 2016, Hilary was winning by a strong margin. You still put faith in pollsters?

She did get more votes....just sayin

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

If by 'strong margin' you mean within the margin of error, then - sure - she was winning by a strong margin. The possibility of a Trump win was always predicted in the polls at that stage of the campaign.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2019 at 10:45 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

I would literally eat my hat if Sanders gets in.  If people think it's pure craziness now, imagine the disagreements in store coming from both the Reps and Dems with Sanders in charge. Oh lordy! :w00t:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, Farmer77 said:

She did get more votes....just sayin

How can these polls be so scientific yet all have acted dumfounded by the electoral college as if they never seen it coming? The polls were right, she had more votes they say. Yet they weren't. They were misleading. There's no way in this day and age they didn't know who was answering the polls and from where. How many and from where should easily determine the likely outcome of the EC. It's not as if they just dial random 10 digit phone numbers to mysterious people from random places in the US until someone answers. They dial numbers to very specific, or at least known, locations.

The more votes argument always felt empty to me.

• Like 3

I think what may very well determine 2020 is the quantity and seriousness of indictments to come will bear and just how high up the democrat party food chain it goes. I *swear* I'm gonna' want to watch CNN throughout and watch Rachelle Madcow cry her ass off again.

"Who, me...? Worry...?"  :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 12:21 AM, aztek said:

they just signed their own "death sentence", the party of sore losers, lol,  trump will win again,

They've certainly set the stage for the next Democrat President being Impeached after four years of the Republicans mitching-and-boaning about the President and desperately looking for anything to use as grounds for Impeachment.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah, this isn't going to blow up in their face. There is nothing they can impeach him on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Sam said:

Oh yeah, this isn't going to blow up in their face. There is nothing they can impeach him on.

Very true. But that doesn't stop the democrats and RINOs from behaving like he did. And the House is controlled by these Cretins.

The Senate always votes in impeachments on party lines (see Bill Clinton, Andrew Johnson) so the dems have no hope of getting 2/3s majority in the Repub controlled Senate, and they know it.

There are people like me that *hope* the dumbs dems try it. It'll blow right up in their faces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

Polling puts both Biden and Sanders ahead of Trump, with Warren and Harris roughly on level with Trump.

Yeah.  Polls.  Those really predicted well in 2016.  Grasping a bit.  I can easily picture trump chewing up and spitting out Warren or Sanders in a debate.  They may even cry.  I think the democrats have one hope and one candidate of substance with genuine workable ideas and a vision of the future who is also not a politician but a successful entrepreneur, Andrew Yang.  But Ross Perot showed us what happens to candidates that actually tell you in great detail how they will solve problems.  Americans don't want to know how a problem will be solved they just want people to shout unfulfillable promises at them like free healthcare or walls paid for by Mexico or free college tuition.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

So this is a inquiry into if there is reason to impeach? I thought it was already a Slam Dunk, based on Obstruction?

There was an impeachment vote just the other day and it fell far short of succeeding.

And now that Pelosi has The Squad on a short leash, doubtless they'll not be championing the attempt. Nadler's got nothing but Obstruction. And it's looking like that probably will not be enough in itself.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:27 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

If by 'strong margin' you mean within the margin of error, then - sure - she was winning by a strong margin. The possibility of a Trump win was always predicted in the polls at that stage of the campaign.

Huffington Post said a 98% chance of a Clinton win the day before the election. 

I bet a lot of pollsters got fired during the following week.

Yeah, it was a possibility, but myself, and just about every other conservative on UM, were stunned... that's how amazing it was.

It was possible, but what were the actual odds? From what I've read, on the election day it was 5 to 1.

Trumps betting odds today are 1:1. Even odds, with all Democrat candidates trailing.

https://www.oddsshark.com/other/2020-usa-presidential-odds-futures

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Huffington Post said a 98% chance of a Clinton win the day before the election. 

That's not a poll. It's their own - rather optimistic - odds. The polls had Hillary up by 3 points on average or something like that, which was within their margin of error. Didn't I have this exact conversation with you a couple of weeks ago and you went off and checked a bunch of polls and came back with the affirmative?

18 hours ago, OverSword said:

I can easily picture trump chewing up and spitting out Warren or Sanders in a debate

Trump in a debate? I think you're using that term extremely loosely there. All Trump does is throw insults. The mistake Hillary made was to lower herself to that level and I doubt either Warren or Sanders would do so. They've been the two candidates most concentrating on issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/07/2019 at 1:45 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

that says it all really doesn't it. If the best that America can hope for after the nightmare of the Trump dictatorship is two ancient has-beens whose only marketing points are being the second-in-command to the Blessed Obama, and the other being screwed by his own party who decided that all the votes that were given to him really should have been given to The Blessed Hillary, and he just meekly went along with it. He's just a useless, feeble waste of everybody's time. 

• Like 2