Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House Democrats launch official impeachment i

ExpandMyMind

Sooooo.. do I understand this correctly ? 

This "impeachment investigation" is a purely in-house Democratic Party investigation ? It has no official status ? 

If that is true, then might I suggest that this is just empty 'virtue signalling' by the Democrats, with no more substance than a bowl of jelly ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's not a poll. It's their own - rather optimistic - odds. The polls had Hillary up by 3 points on average or something like that, which was within their margin of error. Didn't I have this exact conversation with you a couple of weeks ago and you went off and checked a bunch of polls and came back with the affirmative?

True enough. I was just commenting that it was about 5 to 1 against. Not impossible odds, but steep. I don't know a single person who actually believed he was going to win... D or R...

But, it was a 10 point span just a couple weeks before the election. Which was what I was suggesting the Media was trying to control the election. They failed. 

Hopefully they continue to fail.

Edited by DieChecker

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Sooooo.. do I understand this correctly ? 

This "impeachment investigation" is a purely in-house Democratic Party investigation ? It has no official status ? 

If that is true, then might I suggest that this is just empty 'virtue signalling' by the Democrats, with no more substance than a bowl of jelly ? 

No, it's a Congressional investigation.

• Thanks 2

It should be noted that the number of Dems who support Impeachment has now reached over 100.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It should be noted that the number of Dems who support Impeachment has now reached over 100.

I read it was 118.

That support an Injuiry, not outright impeachment.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I read it was 118.

That support an Injuiry, not outright impeachment.

I should have made that clearer.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

No, it's a Congressional investigation.

Really ? it's been officially started ? 

By which committee ? 

15 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Really ? it's been officially started ? 

By which committee ? 

The House Judiciary Committee. 

It's been officially named. It started a long time ago.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

On 7/27/2019 at 4:14 AM, ExpandMyMind said:

House Democrats launch official impeachment investigation

https://www.pbs.org/video/impeachment-1564179397/

Really they were left with no choice. Throughout their entire investigation so far, Trump has been claiming Executive Privilege and refusing to let people give evidence before the House. Now, as far as I'm aware, he can't do that. An Impeachment investigation is outwith the court system due to the whole checks and balances - if you don't answer questions, there's no challenging it in court. You simply go to jail.

Actually he turned over pretty much everything Mueller asked for but I am glad you, as a foreigner, are thrilled the democrats will impeach him, all they know is a simple majority  Your problem is that it is utterly meaning less because it then goes to the Senate where a super majority is required to oust the President and guess what, that is not going to happen since there was no high crime or misdemeanor committed (except in your mind).  The fallout will almost inure the democrats lose the house and more seats in the senate so I' right there with you EMM, go get him democrats, hope you impeach.  :tu:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Actually he turned over pretty much everything Mueller asked for

Wasn't referring to Mueller.

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Wasn't referring to Mueller.

Well then I don't care, after two years of a wide ranging investigation, millions of documents thousands of subpoenas etc.etc. Nadler and Schiff  continuing to "investigate, is merely harassment now and they are doing nothing, zero, nada legislatively.  This behavior only makes people like you,who doesn't even live here, and farmer types happy so if Schiff and Nadler think impeachment is the path to success they need to proceed and then start doing the job they were elected to do.

• Like 6

Mmm guys, I said Trump would win since about mid campaign season. I wasn’t the least bit shocked. 

• Like 3

An impeachment inquiry has begun

Those eager for the start of an official inquiry by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee into the possible impeachment of President Trump need wait no longer.   

A memorandum, submitted by the committee on July 26 to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and signed by the general counsel of the U.S. House of Representatives, makes clear that such an inquiry has begun.

The memorandum is in support of an application for access to all redactions of grand jury material in the Mueller report, in grand jury materials referenced in the report, and to any grand jury testimony or material directly related to four topics. The topics include the president’s knowledge of Russian interference in the 2016 election, links and contacts of his associates directly or indirectly with Russia, and criminal acts by anyone associated with his administration or campaign.

Under Rule 6(e) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, a judge may grant access to confidential grand jury material when sought in preparation for, or use in, a judicial proceeding. The committee urges that an impeachment investigation is a judicial proceeding for purposes of this exception to grand jury secrecy.

Then the committee makes clear that it is engaged in just such an impeachment investigation. Its statement is unequivocal: “The Committee seeks Rule 6(e) materials to further its ongoing investigation and assessment of whether to recommend articles of impeachment.”

The committee relies heavily on Haldeman v. Sirica, a decision by the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals granting the 1974 Judiciary Committee’s impeachment inquiry into Watergate access to grand jury materials. Seeing again the names of Judge John Sirica and Nixon aide Bob Haldeman connects the past and the present vividly.  

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/455180-an-impeachment-inquiry-has-begun

This is an analysis of the proceedings so far, not an introduction of Articles of Impeachment.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

First we had the Mueller probe, which was horribly mis-guided and, in the end, completely humiliating for Democrats.

Next, the Democrat debates...which saw their internecine attacks (against each other) that continue to this day.

Now this...a House impeachment inquiry that will certainly prove to be the final, self-inflicted coup de gras on what little remains of the tattered, confused, and aimless Dem party.

HOW DOES TRUMP GET THESE PEOPLE TO SELF-DESTRUCT SO OBEDIENTLY?  ARE THEY SECRETLY FOLLOWING TRUMP'S ORDERS?

Sometimes I just shake my head at how stupid these people are.

Other times, I just enjoy it.  :P

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 01/08/2019 at 3:04 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

well, no Shi'ite. Having wasted the last three years (since of course, they started planning for impeachment even before the last election) planning for impeachment when they could have been devising policies that might appeal to the voters and encouraging candidates to come forward who might, again, appeal to those voters who weren't already committed Demcorats, they're hardly likely to want to let go of the one trick they have in their arsenal, are they, waste of everybody's time as it has been so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 3:35 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

The House Judiciary Committee. 

It's been officially named. It started a long time ago.

Ooooh.. right.. thanks for that @ExpandMyMind

soooooo.. the democrat party has OFFICIALLY committed electoral suicide ? 

How strange. :(

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ooooh.. right.. thanks for that @ExpandMyMind

soooooo.. the democrat party has OFFICIALLY committed electoral suicide ? 

How strange. :(

I wouldn't say that. In the case of Nixon, it resulted in House and Senate wins that were enormous (Dems have already seen that as a backlash to Trump), and a Dem won the Presidency in the next election. With Clinton, I'm not sure about House and Senate elections but a Republican next won the Presidency. So the claim that impeaching Trump would ensure another Republican win isn't really based on anything. Even assuming that the Dems would lose seats in the House or Senate is a bit optimistic considering last year's elections that saw record breaking numbers come out to vote Dem, which resulted in an enormous blue wave. 

On what are you basing your assumption?

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Just a guess, but it could be the fact that everything the Dems have tried since the election has failed miserably.  Blown up in their faces, actually.

Are you saying it's different this time?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Just a guess, but it could be the fact that everything the Dems have tried since the election has failed miserably.  Blown up in their faces, actually.

The midterms results seem to conflict drastically with your opinion.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Are you saying the Dems actually planned to leave the Senate in Republican hands and only gain control of what is now a powerless, failure-prone, rump-House of Representatives?

I rather doubt it.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

They didn't win nearly as many seats as usually happens after a the first two years of a new presidency.  So.....fail.

• Like 2

Guess we will just have to see if any mud sticks to Moscow Mitch and whether he defeats his challengers.  The odds favor him, but even the turtle loses once in a while.

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I wouldn't say that. In the case of Nixon, it resulted in House and Senate wins that were enormous (Dems have already seen that as a backlash to Trump), and a Dem won the Presidency in the next election. With Clinton, I'm not sure about House and Senate elections but a Republican next won the Presidency. So the claim that impeaching Trump would ensure another Republican win isn't really based on anything. Even assuming that the Dems would lose seats in the House or Senate is a bit optimistic considering last year's elections that saw record breaking numbers come out to vote Dem, which resulted in an enormous blue wave. 

An enormous blue wave would've resulted in a Senate majority. The fact that 45 or so incumbent Republicans vacated their house seats and the midst of the Mueller investigation was ongoing gave the Dems an enormous handicap to take the house. On top of that, the Senate picked up 2 more red seats in the midterms than Regan did who also lost the house during his first midterms in 1982 but look what happened in 1984.

IMG_02082019_192935_(600_x_1130_pixel).thumb.jpg.934adab4fd7bf2c794f51aed265f0e8e.jpg

So if we are going by historical statistics based on the first midterms of an incumbent Republican... Ouch. What a landslide.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 31/07/2019 at 11:32 PM, Uncle Sam said:

Oh yeah, this isn't going to blow up in their face. There is nothing they can impeach him on.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hacktorp said:

After Muellers testimony I’d say that Trumps protestations have blown up in his face.

• Like 1