Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New York City In-N-Out burger mystery solved

UM-Bot

Food waste doesn't usually bother me, but a burger...! Oh dear... :cry:

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

Makes me hungry just looking at it.

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Makes me hungry just looking at it.

Now it comes to me why there are so many obese Americans out there. That doesn't mean there are no burgers sold in Siberia but still... That exclamation right from the heart... Not something I can hear around here. At least absolutely not among the people of my generation. Youngsters may be, they are always hording near the KFC, ready to ruin their health. Why not get some wonderful kasha with salmon or plov from the local vendor instead?

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Now it comes to me why there are so many obese Americans out there. That doesn't mean there are no burgers sold in Siberia but still... That exclamation right from the heart... Not something I can hear around here. At least absolutely not among the people of my generation. Youngsters may be, they are always hording near the KFC, ready to ruin their health. Why not get some wonderful kasha with salmon or plov from the local vendor instead?

Talking about prejudice...
Do you have internet in Siberia?! Wow!
Are you still using 56K modems, or have you upgraded to ADSL?

Btw... I'm neither obese nor American. So there goes another assumption.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As luck would have it, a 16-year-old by the name of Helen Vivas later got in touch to say that it was in fact her burger. She said that she had bought four of the burgers in San Diego before flying to New York because she liked them so much, but dropped one while getting on a bus.

FOUR? at 16 that is  really shocking.

Wonder if she will get a bill for littering or does that not even cross their mind.

Everything about this is so wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Talking about prejudice...
Do you have internet in Siberia?! Wow!
Are you still using 56K modems, or have you upgraded to ADSL?

Btw... I'm neither obese nor American. So there goes another assumption.

I think four burgers is a bit much, let alone dropping one and not bothering to pick it up. 

Gluttony

Littering

Wasting food.

In any country that does not look good coming from the young generation.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

FOUR? at 16 that is  really shocking.

in-NOut has a cult like following. She was going from the good part of the nation that has them to the cold scary part that doesnt so she was stocking up for a couple of days!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

in-NOut has a cult like following. She was going from the good part of the nation that has them to the cold scary part that doesnt so she was stocking up for a couple of days!

A cult following which consists of eating cold burgers a few days old?  Jeeze please do not let this cult  turn  into a recognised religion. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I think four burgers is a bit much, let alone dropping one and not bothering to pick it up. 

Gluttony

Littering

Wasting food.

In any country that does not look good coming from the young generation.

I guess you forgot about the appetite and metabolism of a teenager :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

A cult following which consists of eating cold burgers a few days old?  Jeeze please do not let this cult  turn  into a recognised religion. 

Clearly you have never had the pleasure of experiencing an in-n-out burger "Animal Style"

BPirwqP.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I guess you forgot about the appetite and metabolism of a teenager :D

As a teenager we could not afford to buy four burgers and lose one. :D

My part time job in Boots  just about covered for my weekly treat at the pie and mash shop in Peckham. Ah the good old days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

As a teenager we could not afford to buy four burgers and lose one. :D

My part time job in Boots  just about covered for my weekly treat at the pie and mash shop in Peckham. Ah the good old days.

Growing up in the late 70's/early 80's with a single mom, I never had a dime, and going to McD was utopia. If I had to choose between x-mas eve and McD back then, I would've been in a frustrating conundrum. Wanting both equally much, but knowing a new x-mas was a year away, I would have chosen McD. And I would have eaten myself sick.

Still today, so many years after, a burger looks finer to me, than a semi naked undergarment model from those glossy catalogs.

Burger is God, only surpassed by Beer!

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Clearly you have never had the pleasure of experiencing an in-n-out burger "Animal Style"

BPirwqP.jpg

FOUR of them? Looks a bit of a mess. Can not see that drawing in a cult following.

Get your chops round this from this side of the water. You only need ONE plate ;)

regional_british_food_london_pie_mash.0.

• Like 4

FOUR of them? Looks a bit of a mess. Can not see that drawing in a cult following.

Get your chops round this from this side of the water. You only need ONE plate ;)

Looks like someone blew their nose on it after snorting oregano.

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Weird statement from a skinny dude I guess but : looks delicious! ...........What is it?

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Weird statement from a skinny dude I guess but : looks delicious! ...........What is it?

Pie and mash with jellied eels. 

Yum yum. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Yum yum. 

Why don't we have a barf emoji?

• Haha 6

Yum yum. 

Oh so the eels are inside the pie? I have never had eel is it fishy like salmon or more inert like whitefish?

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Looks like someone blew their nose on it after snorting oregano.

FOUR of these and i would be doing more than just snorting

BPirwqP.jpg

Are you in the

"stuff your face with ketchup, untold cheese, untold calories, stretch that gut,  bring on a heart attack"

cult club? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Oh so the eels are inside the pie? I have never had eel is it fishy like salmon or more inert like whitefish?

No its actually a parsley sauce.

Pies are served with potato mash and a sauce called liquor made from parsley and the juice of cooked eels.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

No its actually a parsley sauce.

Pies are served with potato mash and a sauce called liquor made from parsley and the juice of cooked eels.

Ahhhh OK now that does sound good!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Are you in the

"stuff your face with ketchup, untold cheese, untold calories, stretch that gut,  bring on a heart attack"

cult club? 

If it wasn't for my intestinal issues I'd join the burger legion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've never had one of their burgers, but to my understanding they are very good. Upper end of the yum spectrum for chain burger places. We got a couple local pubs and one restaurant that all have different styles of burgers that are great. And we make them pretty well here at home too. I don't feel like I'm missing out by not experiencing other burger places.

I do understand bringing home food while out on trips. But I tend to do stuff like cheeses or charcuterie or shelf stable goods. Not so much fresh perishables that need to be eaten fresh or shortly after- not after a plane flight and bus trip home. At least not without a cooler to chill them. That's kind of icky IMO. I tend to not like a made burger that's been chilled and then leftovers at all to be honest. Quality goes downhill real quick.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Eel meat is firm/tight and almost neutral in taste. To eat it alone, it needs to be smoked, to bring out the fishy taste. Then it goes well with omelet.

Parsley sauce goes well with most fish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2