Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hero or Villain: Assange

Gwynbleidd

https://sarahwestall.com/should-snowden-and-assange-pardon-the-u-s-government/

President Trump is saying that he might issue a pardon to Edward Snowden. For some reason, he hasn’t said the same thing about Julian Assange.

But a pardon suggests that the person being pardoned has done something wrong. Neither Snowden and Assange has done anything wrong — at least not in a moral sense. It is the U.S. government — and specifically the national-security state branch of the federal government — that has engaged in terrible wrongdoing — wrongdoing that Snowden and Assange revealed to the American people and the people of the world.

snowden-249x300 Should Snowden and Assange Pardon the U.S. Government?Therefore, the real question is: Should Snowden and Assange pardon the U.S. for having destroyed a large part of their lives and liberty?

FYI

On 8/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, aztek said:

out of these 2 choices, hero

I agree.  I think the same about Snowden.  I realize they caused serious problems for the government but it seems our government these days deserve problems from their behavior.  Manning, OTOH, probably deserved to be put against a wall.  He took an oath and used his position to harm the nation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, and then said:

I agree.  I think the same about Snowden.  I realize they caused serious problems for the government but it seems our government these days deserve problems from their behavior.  Manning, OTOH, probably deserved to be put against a wall.  He took an oath and used his position to harm the nation.

Do you honestly believe that Snowden also didn't take an oath, and the information he released didn't put lives at risk?

• Like 1

In my personal opinion Snowden is a Trator to the United States, and to many of our Allies below is information showing the types of Top Secret Information he released.

The exact size of Snowden's disclosure is unknown,[4] but Australian officials have estimated 15,000 or more Australian intelligence files[109] and British officials estimate at least 58,000 British intelligence files were included.[110] NSA Director Keith Alexander initially estimated that Snowden had copied anywhere from 50,000 to 200,000 NSA documents.

In March 2014, Army General Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the House Armed Services Committee, "The vast majority of the documents that Snowden ... exfiltrated from our highest levels of security ... had nothing to do with exposing government oversight of domestic activities. The vast majority of those were related to our military capabilities, operations, tactics, techniques and procedures."[115] When asked in a May 2014 interview to quantify the number of documents Snowden stole, retired NSA director Keith Alexander said there was no accurate way of counting what he took, but Snowden may have downloaded more than a million documents.[116] The September 15, 2016 HPSCI report[5] estimated the number of downloaded documents at 1.5 million.

No matter what anyone thinks when you are given a Top Secret Clearance you must give a Security Pledge which is equally as binding as an oath, those who steal and release classified information commit Treason and are subject to all laws pertaining to this crime.

https://archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=42926

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange cannot be extradited to the United States, a court in London has ruled.

The judge blocked the request because of concerns over Mr Assange's mental health and risk of suicide in the US.

The 49-year-old is wanted over the publication of thousands of classified documents in 2010 and 2011.

The US claims the leaks broke the law and endangered lives. Mr Assange has fought the extradition and says the case is politically motivated.

The US authorities have said the decision will be appealed.

BBC

• Thanks 1

Please!  He is NOT at a journalist!

Mexico to offer Julian Assange asylum after US extradition bid fails

London: Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador says he will offer Julian Assange political asylum and supports the decision of a British judge to deny extradition of the WikiLeaks founder to the US.

"Assange is a journalist and deserves a chance. I am in favour of pardoning him," Lopez Obrador said. "We'll give him protection."

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/mexico-to-offer-julian-assange-asylum-after-us-extradition-bid-fails-20210104-p56rq9.html#comments

This might be behind a pay-wall.  The incognito window trick worked.

10 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange cannot be extradited to the United States, a court in London has ruled.

The judge blocked the request because of concerns over Mr Assange's mental health and risk of suicide in the US.

The 49-year-old is wanted over the publication of thousands of classified documents in 2010 and 2011.

The US claims the leaks broke the law and endangered lives. Mr Assange has fought the extradition and says the case is politically motivated.

The US authorities have said the decision will be appealed.

BBC

If it worked for that numb nuts McKinnon it should work for Assange I'd have thought. 

• Like 1

Snowden's mistake was not barricading himself into some embassy, too. Instead, he first runs to Red China then Russia, with a laptop full of secrets. He thus branded himself a traitor with his own hand. Maybe Biden will pardon him; sounds right.

• Like 1

Mexico is ready to offer WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange political asylum and is in favor of him being granted a pardon.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Monday he celebrated a decision by a U.K. judge blocking Assange’s extradition to the U.S., citing the risk of suicide in a American jail. “Assange is a journalist and he deserves an opportunity,” Lopez Obrador said in his daily press conference.

“I’m in favor of pardoning him. We’ll give him protection.”

Bloomberg

I do notice that the moment he’s told by a judge can won’t be extradited that his lawyer has said he fears returning to Australia because he cannot trust the government not to extradite him to America. 

• 11 months later...

A British High Court ruled in a decision on Friday that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange can be extradited to the United States to face over a dozen espionage charges.

The ruling overturns a ruling by a judge in January that denied the U.S. extradition request due to Assange's mental health.

The court decision relied on four assurances given by the United States, which originated in a diplomatic note from Feb. 5, 2021, according to a court filing.

MSN