Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass shooting at California Garlic Fest

and-then

2 minutes ago, and then said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gilroy-garlic-festival-california-shooting-reported 

If we only had stricter gun control, these things couldn't happen.  Except this is proof that they do.

Eh, probably should wait and find out what gun was used and whether it was purchased legally or not.  It's not like guns are banned in California after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just saw this too. Heard from different links that up to 16 are wounded and 3 dead. It's still an active scene. They said the shooter was a man in his 30's, dressed in camo with a semi-automatic rifle. He has not been taken into custody. It's still an active shooting scene. Here's a live link. Our news just said 6 shot in Philadelphia at a rap music video taping, 1 dead and 5 wounded. 

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/national-international/Police-Respond-to-Reports-of-Shooting-at-Gilroy-Garlic-Festival-513320251.html

They're reporting a lot of police activity going on out by their high school. I don't know what that's about. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 7

Wow....they just said there were two suspects involved and that one was shot and killed. The other one is still on the loose. The reporter had no more details about a description of the suspect who was killed. This is breaking news so it's very fluid.

• Like 3

The FBI just got there. Reporter says about 18 agents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

If we only had stricter gun control, these things couldn't happen.  Except this is proof that they do.

Sorry, not following the logic - doesn't it depend on the facts of the case?  And as far as gun control, imo the horse bolted in the USA long ago, it is a different culture, and you can only tell if something like that would work by looking at it properly, and over time.

In the meantime, I'm glad I live here in Oz.  (And yes, I'm sure you are too..)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Funny, how big a deal it is when it happens in California. This is just an average afternoon in Chicago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Funny, how big a deal it is when it happens in California. This is just an average afternoon in Chicago.

Turns out someone opening up on the crowd at a rural garlic festival is different than city gang violence.

Whodathunk.

• Like 9

Just watched the news conference. They said the suspects crossed a creek and cut through a perimeter fence to gain access to the festival. One of the suspects was shot and killed by police although they are saying something about witnesses reporting another possible suspect fleeing with the shooter. Multiple agencies including the FBI are involved with the search along with helicopters. No information was given about any of the suspects or the victims. I'm thinking all these agencies are there because the shooter himself has not been caught and not to chase down a possible suspect. Like all breaking news, this is confusing. I'm going to wait and see what happens in the morning. I just hope they catch him soon.

The news station reported that one of the deceased is a 6 yr old boy. That is just so heartbreaking. Several witnesses said they saw children shot. I can't even imagine. There's just no words on why someone would do something like this.

They also showed pictures of trucks from the electric company coming in to provide lighting in an area police are focusing on. At least 3 helicopters are also part of the search.  

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, and then said:

I don't get this. I'd think that people would want to prove that these continual mass shootings were down to your gun laws. The alternative is simply that US society is completely broken.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I don't get this. I'd think that people would want to prove that these continual mass shootings were down to your gun laws. The alternative is simply that US society is completely broken.

US society and it's government are completely broken. You have no idea.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Sorry, not following the logic - doesn't it depend on the facts of the case? 

It depends on whose narrative you support, I guess.  There is a dedicated gun control movement in this country and they don't always deal in FACTS.  Usually, the first comments we see in the media are some of them trotting out to exhort the gospel of peace and tranquility if ONLY those guns weren't around.  California has some of the strictest controls in the nation.  My point, and yes I was being a bit snarky, is that events like this in such an environment give the lie to their narrative.  For "gun control" to actually have a chance of success, there would have to be TOTAL confiscation and tightly controlled borders to keep the arms dealers out.  It's a case of the cure being far worse than the disease it's supposed to be treating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 6 yr old boy was Stephen Romero. His mother and his grandmother were shot also and going into surgery. Now they say the gunman is the one that was shot and killed.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/stephen-romero-gilroy-festival-shooting/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

From one of the reports:

Van Breen says he heard someone shout: "Why are you doing this? "and the reply: "because I'm really angry. "

2 hours ago, susieice said:

US society and it's government are completely broken. You have no idea.

I actually thought about my comment while walking my dog and realised - gun control or not - that these events happen at all signify something deeply wrong with a society.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I actually thought about my comment while walking my dog and realised - gun control or not - that these events happen at all signify something deeply wrong with a society.

There were 6 shot in Philadelphia tonight at the filming of a rap video. Shootings like this happen every night there. A little city close to me just had it's 27th shooting since June 1 and it's got police baffled. Apparently, some one shot a gun in the air and when it came down, it hit a 10 yr old boy who was on a baseball field taking part in an event before the start of a Phillies minor league game. Police said the shot could have come from as far as 2 miles away. They know it wasn't fired in the stadium. Can't go to the mountains here anymore either without this and that was always a beautiful vacation spot. Multiply this by however many other people you wish that live across the US and have their own local news. You ever hear of a father killing his 5 yr old because he ate a piece of the cheesecake dad got for his birthday? And that's only one of many. For years this has been going on. Are you ready to take your friends and bum rush an RAF base? I don't want to hear about what happens to them. I find people and politicians sickening.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, susieice said:

Are you ready to take your friends and bum rush an RAF base?

The Area 51 thing is just an internet joke.

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The Area 51 thing is just an internet joke.

The small towns around it are reporting they have more hotel reservations than they can handle and they are really concerned about all these people showing up. Literally thousands. Local law enforcement is expressing concern too. They are very small desert communities of ranchers and miners where it's 100 miles to the next gas station. You can't tell a bunch of crazies that it's just a joke. After September, I don't think I'd want to be the guy who went on Facebook and posted that joke.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, and then said:

It depends on whose narrative you support, I guess.  There is a dedicated gun control movement in this country and they don't always deal in FACTS.  Usually, the first comments we see in the media are some of them trotting out to exhort the gospel of peace and tranquility if ONLY those guns weren't around.  California has some of the strictest controls in the nation.  My point, and yes I was being a bit snarky, is that events like this in such an environment give the lie to their narrative.  For "gun control" to actually have a chance of success, there would have to be TOTAL confiscation and tightly controlled borders to keep the arms dealers out.  It's a case of the cure being far worse than the disease it's supposed to be treating.

In red this is where the democrats contradict themselves. They want gun control but also want open borders

which would allow the flow of illegal firearms (and drugs) to come into the country.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Hawken said:

In red this is where the democrats contradict themselves. They want gun control but also want open borders

which would allow the flow of illegal firearms (and drugs) to come into the country.

I dont think i have ever once heard a Democrat call for open borders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I dont think i have ever once heard a Democrat call for open borders. 

Cortez has said it isn't illegal for anyone to come in who wants to.  How is that not the same as open borders?

• Like 2

Why would anyone hate garlic so much ? :( 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, and then said:

Cortez has said it isn't illegal for anyone to come in who wants to.  How is that not the same as open borders?

On the one hand it does sound like something she would say in a hyperbolic moment....on the other theres an entire propaganda machine working against her, care to provide a link?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Why would anyone hate garlic so much ? :( 

If we ever learn what motivated the guy, I'll be surprised.  Someone asked him why he was doing it and he actually answered them.  He said he was really angry.  I've been really angry a few times in my life but it never crossed my mind to go out and slaughter a bunch of strangers.  

• Like 2