Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US serviceman opens up about Rendlesham

31 minutes ago, Unfortunately said:

Just a slight err in your post here (note the bolded part). The standards are not set by cynics, the standards are set by science. Videos/photos are dismissed due to not being verifiable in the modern era, they are considered the weakest form of evidence following personal testimony.

In order to convince the world of something, more substantial evidence is required. ^_^

I do however agree with you that some people are prone to throwing insults around at anyone who posts these types of videos/photos. People that resort to insults rather than constructive criticism aren't worth the time of day until they discard their immaturity.

People that resort to insults rather than constructive criticism aren't worth the time of day until they discard their immaturity.

Get use to it..That's about all there is here now...Believer's get p***ed when they get trounced on and skeptics get all p***ed off when they are not acknowledged as know it alls...Be honest I have had about enough of the **** myself....They should change the title of this forum to "Town Criers" it is more befitting of the subject. 

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:39 AM, Trelane said:

Ok, so he claims he saw something during the time period when LTC Halt and his team saw something. Why then did he wait almost 40 years to join in on this?

Could it be because he was allegedly forbidden to speak of it (ie by the military)?  IIRC I thought this was one of the places that had all of the documents released after so many years, allowing everyday people to access the files from during that time in order to piece together their original thoughts/theories on the mystery? 

To be quite honest, I've never been one to use the term "conspiracy theorists" much, but I was thinking about it some time ago and realised without conspiracy theorists throughout history, we'd most likely never question these things.  We'd simply go about our business and believe what we're told like well behaved little citizens of society.  :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minimalists said:

Get use to it..That's about all there is here now...Believer's get p***ed when they get trounced on and skeptics get all p***ed off when they are not acknowledged as know it alls...Be honest I have had about enough of the **** myself....They should change the title of this forum to "Town Criers" it is more befitting of the subject. 

then there are the ones who always have something negative to say about both sides bash it all, yet keep coming back to let everyone know how it is. :tu:

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 10:32 PM, ChrLzs said:

Oh, and here's a test for both UFO=aliens believers and skeptics....

When was the possibility of the Battle of LA involving aliens first raised?

A. At the time

B. In the 50's

C. In the 60's

D. In the 70's

E. In the 80's, in the form of a proven (and very obviously) faked letter

I'll give you a hint, although I'm guessing you've probably already nailed this one.  It's not A, B, C, or D.

For whom? The possibility was first raised the second I saw the picture and the familiar silhouette in it for me. Who decided the possibility started with a letter? I haven't heard of the letter just newspaper articles. Why do we have to jump to conclusions about the occupants of the craft though, who do you suggest made it?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I don't believe it could have only been ET in origin. I'm just saying it was a flying saucer. In fact, since then I have often considered that technology is far more advanced then they are letting us believe. Though I don't know that for sure either.

I gotta take ya back to mid July, 1994. I just turned 18 years old. Me and a cousin of mine take a 12 pack of beer down to this little trussel that overlooks the Hudson river. I'll try to make this part of the story short, and just say while we were hanging out, I saw something way off in the distance that looked odd to me. It was to far away to make anything of it, so I just shrugged my shoulders and we went about our business.

Somewhere between 1230 and 1 in the morning we start heading back to my house. As we turn the last corner, just a few yards from my house, I see my neighbor and his son standing in the middle of the road looking up into the sky with these binoculars. So I say to my cousin 'what the heck are they looking at'. So I look up, and I will be damned right over my head I see this flying saucer. Looked like it could have manned maybe 4 to 5 people.

Around the edge of the craft where these different color lights. It was completely silent. So next thing I know the 4 of us are standing there, just blown away at what we were looking at. At one point it even seemed to notice us, and it began descending towards us. It got close enough where I believe I could have hit it with a stone's throw. At this point I got nervous, and nearly ran away. My fight or flight instinct was seconds away from kicking in.

Then it seemed to lose interest in us, and slowly began drifting off back towards the river. The entire encounter was about a half hour long. Before that I really didn't care about UFO's at all. Many people in my area claimed to have seen similar, and even more crazy sightings then this over the years. While I thought their stories were interesting, I never put much stock into them. I have been looking up damn near every chance I get since then. Unfortunately I have yet to see anything close to that, but I will never forget that night. It was amazing.   

That sounds exactly like the first of two times i saw one up close. It was just silently coming up the river toward us and then i just remember it slowly flying back away headed downstream. The bottom of that one was very intricate i remember it coming close enough to see the circuitboard-like details.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

That sounds exactly like the first of two times i saw one up close. It was just silently coming up the river toward us and then i just remember it slowly flying back away headed downstream. The bottom of that one was very intricate i remember it coming close enough to see the circuitboard-like details.

damn shame you had no camera...:hmm:

so how do you know it was an alien craft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

then there are the ones who always have something negative to say about both sides bash it all, yet keep coming back to let everyone know how it is. :tu:

I guess if the shoe fits wear it I reckon....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, quillius said:

hmm, from memory, during a discussion with Psyche I am sure I tried tracking down a report/statement from Smith...but to no avail...and yes strange that he has quoted something now.

I really want to know why it was he was relevant to begin with hence me trying to track him down...

psyche (hope you are well) you dont by any chance recall?...have tried searching but cant even find the thread

Hi Q 

Great to hear from you. Must catch up on PM. 

Can't say it rings a bell. A Captain Mike Verrano inspected the site that I recall but I don't remember Smith sorry. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pixiii said:

Could it be because he was allegedly forbidden to speak of it (ie by the military)?  IIRC I thought this was one of the places that had all of the documents released after so many years, allowing everyday people to access the files from during that time in order to piece together their original thoughts/theories on the mystery? 

To be quite honest, I've never been one to use the term "conspiracy theorists" much, but I was thinking about it some time ago and realised without conspiracy theorists throughout history, we'd most likely never question these things.  We'd simply go about our business and believe what we're told like well behaved little citizens of society.  :)  

Highly unlikely when you see the exposure that the other four (Halt, Penniston, Burroughs, Cabansag) have had over the years. Those four have been on numerous shows and documentaries talking about the event with no filter. FOIA requests in regards to the incident have provided very little in the way of new information as mot documents were made public over 20 years ago.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pixiii said:

Strip away the conspiracy theory from ufology and you're left with nothing....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Hi Q 

Great to hear from you. Must catch up on PM. 

Can't say it rings a bell. A Captain Mike Verrano inspected the site that I recall but I don't remember Smith sorry. 

indeed mate.

could easily be a false memory I created......like the one about that leggy blonde...actually best not to post that here :) 

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Certainly Aliens is a possibility - and quite naturally assumed to future generations that actually knew of "UFOs". Those folks  in 1943 never even heard the term UFO. They had no idea of "Aliens" or flying saucers either. What they saw resembled a "lozenge" by many accounts.

The overall opinion of witnesses in LA was that it was some sort of Japanese war craft or Chinese lantern type of craft, not "Aliens". That was the beauty of their testimony, no woo woos to accuse of being biased or fabricating

That's pretty clueless. Let me help you out of your quagmire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reported_UFO_sightings#20th_century

1940s Foo fighters   Over World War II theaters Small metallic spheres and colorful balls of light repeatedly spotted and occasionally photographed worldwide by bomber crews during World War II. [23][24] 2
1941 Cape Girardeau UFO crash Cape Girardeau, Missouri United States First responders and a Baptist minister allegedly view crashed spacecraft and alien bodies. Military arrives and swears witnesses to silence. [25][26][27] 3
1942 Hopeh Incident Tsientsien, Hebei China Photographs show what is reported to be a UFO. [28] 2

Aliens were already in the media such as the WOTW show in 1938.

There was also the movie Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe.

Flying saucers appeared on magazine covers as early as 1915.

1-sci-fi-magazine-cover-1929-granger-can

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Unfortunately said:

In order to convince the world of something, more substantial evidence is required.

I agree - to a point.  I have no problem with antagonists saying that evidences do not satisfy them, none at all.

What I have a problem with is the antagonists clearly disfiguring evidences so as to keep their PoV in tact. 
It gets to the point where you feel like you are dealing with "flat earth" people where no amount of evidence even makes them blink.

Flat earthers will claim that all photos of round earth are fake. [sigh].  Anti UFOers say the same thing about UFO pics. Same thang! 

We have three ways to observe "objects" in our skies, physically seeing the objects, radar seeing the  objects, and pictures capturing the image.
How many times have we seen UFO cases where *all three* detectors did in fact "see" the object in the sky, and yet the antagonists won't even give it a sliver of a chance the case being that - yes, something was in the sky. They bury their head in the sand.

That's when you know you are not dealing with honest brokers, you are dealing with a cult. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I agree - to a point.  I have no problem with antagonists saying that evidences do not satisfy them, none at all.

What I have a problem with is the antagonists clearly disfiguring evidences so as to keep their PoV in tact. 
It gets to the point where you feel like you are dealing with "flat earth" people where no amount of evidence even makes them blink.

Flat earthers will claim that all photos of round earth are fake. [sigh].  Anti UFOers say the same thing about UFO pics. Same thang! 

We have three ways to observe "objects" in our skies, physically seeing the objects, radar seeing the  objects, and pictures capturing the image.
How many times have we seen UFO cases where *all three* detectors did in fact "see" the object in the sky, and yet the antagonists won't even give it a sliver of a chance the case being that - yes, something was in the sky. They bury their head in the sand.

That's when you know you are not dealing with honest brokers, you are dealing with a cult. 

Please provide an example of the following: "How many times have we seen UFO cases where *all three* detectors did in fact "see" the object in the sky, and yet the antagonists won't even give it a sliver of a chance the case being that - yes, something was in the sky. They bury their head in the sand."

I think you are making that up. In fact I'm pretty sure you are making that up just like you are making up "Anti UFOers say the same thing about UFO pics. Same thang! "

Claims of a radar contact and someone seeing something are not the same as taking the time to verify that the radar contact was in fact the same as a visual contact.

Recently there has been the TTSA stories. The claims of the radar operator Day do NOT match up with the eyewitnesses which is why Fravor has been outspoken about the fake stories being told by Day.

So please go find a match up that shows radar, photos and eyewitnesses recording the same object.

Please avoid your typical flat earth stance of making up stories to suit your preconceived notions.

• Like 3

The American people never heard the term UFO or Flying Saucer until *after* the early 1940's. that is FACT. 
People who label UFO stories of an era before that as "a UFO incident" are only doing so with *their* own knowledge of what a UFO is, not the peoples' knowledge of that time.

Some people like to distort the truth just for the sake of arguing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

The American people never heard the term UFO or Flying Saucer until *after* the early 1940's. that is FACT. 
People who label UFO stories of an era before that as "a UFO incident" are only doing so with *their* own knowledge of what a UFO is, not the peoples' knowledge of that time.

Some people like to distort the truth just for the sake of arguing.

Already proved that the notion of flaying saucer shaped craft was common place. It really doesn't matter today if people are not aware of UAP.

What I showed is that the cultural concept of aliens was a part of cultural awareness and had been for decades.

Here is the original post I addressed:

Certainly Aliens is a possibility - and quite naturally assumed to future generations that actually knew of "UFOs". Those folks  in 1943 never even heard the term UFO. They had no idea of "Aliens" or flying saucers either. What they saw resembled a "lozenge" by many accounts.

The term back in 1942, not 1943, but 1942 when the Battle of LA took place was often airship or flying disc. Even in 1915 the flying disc shape graced the cover of a magazine. In fact, such flying discs appeared in many stories well before 1942.

Claiming that the people of LA in 1942 had no idea of aliens or flying saucers is a joke. The WOTW, War of the Worlds, show was broadcast in 1938 and although it did not cause the claimed hysteria it was big news less than 4 years before the Battle of LA. Stories of aliens were the rage with little green men from Mars. The story by HG Welles went to press in 1897. That's 45 years before the battle of LA.

Some people just have no idea what they are talking about when they make silly claims such as these people didn't know about aliens or flying saucers.

Authors writing about aliens include:

• Jules Verne
  • HG Welles
  • HP Lovecraft
  • ER Burroughs
  • Heinlein
  • Like 4

In historical order, a Japanese submarine made an attack on an oil refinery in coastal California on February 23, 1942

"On the night of the 23rd, just as President Roosevelt was beginning his radio address to the country, the I-17 opened fire with its deck gun near Ellwood, California aimed at the oil derricks and storage tanks.[5]"    link  And the public was aware of this attack by the Japanese

Then, the battle of LA happened on the night of February 24 and February 25, 1942

"The Battle of Los Angeles, also known as The Great Los Angeles Air Raid, is the name given by contemporary sources to the rumored attack by Japan and subsequent anti-aircraft artillery barrage which took place from late February 24 to early February 25, 1942, over Los Angeles, California"   LA Times

When the air raid sirens went off the night of February 24, and residents of LA were told to turn off their lights, and anti-aircraft shells were being fired in the search-light lit skies, a million people came out to view. Everyone assumed the US Army was shooting at a Japanese air ship of some kind. NOT UFOS or alien craft. After all, America was at war with Japan, who had very recently attacked an oil refinery in So. California. (Elwood)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 31/07/2019 at 11:12 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

*Another* distortion.   I said... "The term UFO and Flying saucer did not exist in 1941" 

Actually, that is what you stated:

seems that you once again are being untruthful.

The simple fact is that for 45 years or more the people did have an idea about "Aliens"  and about flying saucers.

The evidence is incontrovertible. Flying disks were in movies and on the covers of many magazines. Aliens were in books, movies, and on the radio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 31/07/2019 at 11:23 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

In historical order, a Japanese submarine made an attack on an oil refinery in coastal California on February 23, 1942

"On the night of the 23rd, just as President Roosevelt was beginning his radio address to the country, the I-17 opened fire with its deck gun near Ellwood, California aimed at the oil derricks and storage tanks.[5]"    link  And the public was aware of this attack by the Japanese

Then, the battle of LA happened on the night of February 24 and February 25, 1942

"The Battle of Los Angeles, also known as The Great Los Angeles Air Raid, is the name given by contemporary sources to the rumored attack by Japan and subsequent anti-aircraft artillery barrage which took place from late February 24 to early February 25, 1942, over Los Angeles, California"   LA Times

When the air raid sirens went off the night of February 24, and residents of LA were told to turn off their lights, and anti-aircraft shells were being fired in the search-light lit skies, a million people came out to view. Everyone assumed the US Army was shooting at a Japanese air ship of some kind. NOT UFOS or alien craft. After all, America was at war with Japan, who had very recently attacked an oil refinery in So. California. (Elwood)

It's why LA was on edge and over reacted to the situation. 

• Like 2

On 31/07/2019 at 11:12 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

*Another* distortion.   I said... "The term UFO and Flying saucer did not exist in 1941" 

You said they had no idea of aliens as well which is completely untrue. Look up Giovanni Schiaparelli.

• Like 2

John Burroughs was one of the airman that claims to have witnessed the object with Jim Penniston.  He claims to have suffered health issues after the incident and sought medical attention. Years later when his health worsen. He sought to get disability and the military denied he was in the service in 1980. He had to get help from the late Senator John McCain in order to get his disability because his military medical records were classified. My question is, Why would the military say he wasn't in the military in 1980 and deny med records?

http://podbay.fm/show/302000822/e/1414443600?autostart=1

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hawken said:

John Burroughs was one of the airman that claims to have witnessed the object with Jim Penniston.  He claims to have suffered health issues after the incident and sought medical attention. Years later when his health worsen. He sought to get disability and the military denied he was in the service in 1980. He had to get help from the late Senator John McCain in order to get his disability because his military medical records were classified. My question is, Why would the military say he wasn't in the military in 1980 and deny med records?

http://podbay.fm/show/302000822/e/1414443600?autostart=1

while at first glance it does light the fuse on the proverbial conspiracy theory firecracker i would bet its just a records error, not like the case wasnt well known as was his involvment..if everyone involved had records vanish then it really would be weird.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

You said they had no idea of aliens as well which is completely untrue. Look up Giovanni Schiaparelli.

Certain individuals have been proposing alien life for a long while, going back (as I know) to the middle ages.

But seriously, the American public really didn't get a fill of Alien movies until after this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Certain individuals have been proposing alien life for a long while, going back (as I know) to the middle ages.

But seriously, the American public really didn't get a fill of Alien movies until after this time. 

Look up radio and books on the subject.

I pointed out that World of the Worlds was published in 1897. 

I already pointed out the magazine covers. All of the pulp magazines were starting with all of their tales of space, spaceships, aliens, etc.

The idea of life on Mars and Venus was quite popular.

Life on other planets had been in movies including the Verne story First Men in the Moon. It was made into a movie in 1902 and 1919.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I question these NeverUFOers periodically about this. If they know for a fact that alien UFOs don't exist why waste so much time in here lecturing protagonists? That must be as fruitful as going to the "Flat Earth" boards to argue with those folk.

But they insist :) I think it is like a religion to them or something, I don't know, they just seem to be the first to come into all UFO threads, the ones that post the most, and the ones that are prone to fits of exasperation when they can't get their way and convince others to come to their side of it.

strange

I sometimes think that for ufos and say, ghosts the basis for such overwhelming reactions is fear. The concept of aliens coming from afar or the dead revisiting this plane is so frightening the response is absolute denial. But that's just a theory on my part.

• Like 1