Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should I write a sequel?

-Homer-

I published my first and only book 3 years ago and after a lengthy delay, I’m writing my second book.

My first book really isn’t my genre, but I thought it would be the easiest to write and I just wanted to get something published.  

But my issue is a lot of people want me to write a sequel to my first book, but I want to be done with it and move to another genre…

If there is a bunch of people asking for a sequel, is it better to continue with the story or let it be?

• Like 3

Well this entirely depends on your outlook on being an author. 

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and cater to the audience in order to raise your reputation so that other books that you create are acknowledged on a larger scale. People appreciate honesty though, so just keep them informed on your intention to migrate to a different genre and be open about why you wish to do so.

As a side note, for me personally I would definitely attempt to create a sequel to the first book in response to the audience; whether I would do this before or after writing another book is negotiable, as long as I don't have them waiting too long.

Larger audiences require some forms of versatility to properly showcase what talents you have, I think by catering to both your own wishes as well as the audience over an acceptable period time would be the best response. 

It all really depends on your workload and perspective. ^_^

Edit: It's important not to smother your own passions, so make sure to dive into your own genre when you can to keep your inspiration thriving.

Edited by Unfortunately
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, -Homer- said:

I published my first and only book 3 years ago and after a lengthy delay, I’m writing my second book.

My first book really isn’t my genre, but I thought it would be the easiest to write and I just wanted to get something published.  

But my issue is a lot of people want me to write a sequel to my first book, but I want to be done with it and move to another genre…

If there is a bunch of people asking for a sequel, is it better to continue with the story or let it be?

If your heart isn't in it is it worth writing?

Also curious, did you self publish?

I self published through Amazon.

I'll probably look into the ghost writer thing.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, -Homer- said:

I self published through Amazon.

I'll probably look into the ghost writer thing.

This has been a life goal of mine. However, my one completed novel was lost when I got divorced and my ex decided to take my hard drive to the landfill while I was at work. I've not written anything since. 

• Sad 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:53 AM, Robotic Jew said:

This has been a life goal of mine. However, my one completed novel was lost when I got divorced and my ex decided to take my hard drive to the landfill while I was at work. I've not written anything since. 

Ouch, talk about being bitter. Never understood why ex's would do things like that.

I had to start over with my second book, as my old computer died and my backup drive is gone too. 

• Sad 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:08 AM, -Homer- said:

If your heart isn't in to writing a sequel and you write one it will be crap and everyone will be disappointment and you will loose fans.  Write what makes you feel good about writing.

• Like 1

I think it depends, are you writing more as a hobby or as a career?

If it's more of a career thing then a sequel wouldn't hurt. Help you build a loyal fan base. 

But at the same time if you feel like you have some master piece in another genre that is waiting to come out then do it.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:08 AM, -Homer- said:

Why did you write the first book?  Was it because a lot of people goaded you into doing so?  If you write a sequel that is not inspired by your heart...it will be a sucky sequel.  Write what your heart wants you to write. 

Test:  Flip a quarter.  Heads you write the sequel.  Tails you move on.  Whichever occurs...your feelings about it will tell you what to do.  Do you want to flip it again?  Two out of three...or are you more like...well that settles it?

Besides....you could write several more books...and then write a sequel to the first.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, spartan max2 said:

I think it depends, are you writing more as a hobby or as a career?

If it's more of a career thing then a sequel wouldn't hurt. Help you build a loyal fan base. 

But at the same time if you feel like you have some master piece in another genre that is waiting to come out then do it.

More of a hobby. Although I'm still getting monthly income off of sales three years later, it's not much and I don't like the pressure of deadlines. But I like to write as a hobby. I've written lots of articles for my local newspaper over the years(freelance) but I like to write stories more.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:35 PM, joc said:

Why did you write the first book?  Was it because a lot of people goaded you into doing so?  If you write a sequel that is not inspired by your heart...it will be a sucky sequel.  Write what your heart wants you to write. 

Test:  Flip a quarter.  Heads you write the sequel.  Tails you move on.  Whichever occurs...your feelings about it will tell you what to do.  Do you want to flip it again?  Two out of three...or are you more like...well that settles it?

Besides....you could write several more books...and then write a sequel to the first.

If I'm understanding you joc--and I know I am--it sounds like you're goading me into writing erotica:tsu:

It's been many, many years old friend. How have you been?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, -Homer- said:

If I'm understanding you joc--and I know I am--it sounds like you're goading me into writing erotica:tsu:

It's been many, many years old friend. How have you been?

Ah....Homer of....Homer!  hey Homer!  Things are good!  Good to have you back around!  So...where can I find this book?  I want to know how suckey it really is!^_^

heh, heh, heh ...erotica..heh, heh...that's cool!  Yeah...Homer is cool!:tsu:

Just now, joc said:

Ah....Homer of....Homer!  hey Homer!  Things are good!  Good to have you back around!  So...where can I find this book?  I want to know how suckey it really is!^_^

heh, heh, heh ...erotica..heh, heh...that's cool!  Yeah...Homer is cool!:tsu:

It's a cheesy 80 page love story. Not my genre really but who hasn't been in love, and I just wanted to publish something and thought a short love story would be the easiest thing to write for my debut book. It's on Amazon, but it's a girly book :D

2 minutes ago, -Homer- said:

It's a cheesy 80 page love story. Not my genre really but who hasn't been in love, and I just wanted to publish something and thought a short love story would be the easiest thing to write for my debut book. It's on Amazon, but it's a girly book :D

Pm me the title of the book please.  I want to read this cheesy suckey erotic love story!B)

5 minutes ago, joc said:

Pm me the title of the book please.  I want to read this cheesy suckey erotic love story!B)

Not really erotic...so clean you'd let your teenage daughter read it. But I'll PM you

Just now, -Homer- said:

Not really erotic...so clean you'd let your teenage daughter read it. But I'll PM you

My teenage daughter is now 21!  Well...I'll read it anyway...then I'll tell you what I think about a sequel!  and maybe some suggestions for it heh, heh

1 hour ago, -Homer- said:

Although I'm still getting monthly income off of sales three years later, it's not much and I don't like the pressure of deadlines.

Monthly income...cool...!

I want to write a book and get monthly income!  I want to write a book about a black horse on an island.  Yeah...that's the ticket!

27 minutes ago, -Homer- said:

it's a girly book 

so...what is it that you want to write?  

Plus you know...sequels to cheesy love stories are kind of like Soap Operas....just sayin' ....same people have been watching the same soap operas since forever...they just gotta know what happens next you know....maybe a sequel or two or three and the monthly income quads to maybe 30 dollars a month....^_^

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:08 AM, -Homer- said:

Sure, do try to write a sequel. Write one to be done. If bunches of folks are asking for more, may mean your fan base still has unanswered whatever- they want more. If it must, try for a trilogy to really cap it all together- because yes, fan base. But if you can get away with wrapping it up on the second book, and perhaps a novella or two sidebits in the future if ya gotta make the cash... Get the bills paid. A flip side is if you do a part two and it's lackluster as far as the fans go. Then it's ok too, it's still done then and you can still move on into other genres you want. If nothing else it could be a back burner project to tinker with for a while.

But don't stop writing in other genre now while writing a sequel if you are able to write stories in multiple like that.