Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CA Law Requires Tax Returns for Candidates

OverSword

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If the administration lawyers argue that the only reason this information is subpoenaed is a partisan attempt to undermine the administration, which it clearly is, the court will probably rule in favor of trump unless the ways and means committee can demonstrate there is reasonable suspicion that the executive branch is illegally using government resources for profit.   

Weeeell... from a strict reading of the law .... the issue of "reason/purpose" is irrelevant. The law doesn't put any limitations or conditions.. it just says "hand them over". 

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Weeeell... from a strict reading of the law .... the issue of "reason/purpose" is irrelevant. The law doesn't put any limitations or conditions.. it just says "hand them over". 

We’ll see about that. Pretty sure the courts will recognize tho difference between this and why the law was written. 

14 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

And questions about trumps tax returns are valid as well. Actually probably more so since it's not based soley on his race.

Valid according to Constitutional requirements? That's what we are talking about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Which means that the democrats on that committee will immediately leak them to the newspapers for political gain.

Or lie about them for the same purpose since they can't be publicly disclosed.

• Like 1

They should all be required to turn them over. And they should all come from the IRS. Not some personal office.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

They should all be required to turn them over. And they should all come from the IRS. Not some personal office.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that law to be written.  Senators will be too afraid they may be required to do that as well to write it.

• Like 1

maybe trump needs to issue a EO requiring every senator to do so, can he?  and California senators, 10 years tax return, asset disclosure, criminal record, and urine test, lol

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for that law to be written.  Senators will be too afraid they may be required to do that as well to write it.

Should be required of the House too. Down to the state level and into city government. I'm sure they hide their bribes and special interests payments. A lot of local officials are charged with Federal corruption charges.

of course they do,  that is exactly why they go into politics in a first place. to have a luxury life above the law on taxpayers dime

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OverSword said:

Do the states want to participate in federal elections? 

Sure, and national defense too, but "Who pays?" is always the first question politicians ask.

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Which means that the new Californian law about tax returns - which will be struck down by the courts anyway - will be satisfied, and people in California can vote for Trump. Or not. 

Yeah most likely.  Its a show.

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Yeah most likely.  Its a show.

Yeah, I view it along the lines of "You must have X number of signatures to be o the ballot."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

We’ll see about that. Pretty sure the courts will recognize tho difference between this and why the law was written. 

Umm.. I'm not entirely sure that courts worry about "why" a law was written, but rather the literal meaning of the law ? 

Well... I guess that might not be ENTIRELY true.... 

I guess we will find out whether this is true fairly soon... ? 

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Sure, and national defense too, but "Who pays?" is always the first question politicians ask.

No they dont.....they know exactly who will pay, the working middle class.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, skliss said:

No they dont.....they know exactly who will pay, the working middle class.

Middle Class ? In California ? They are a rapidly dying breed.. .or rather.. an emigrating breed. 

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Middle Class ? In California ? They are a rapidly dying breed.. .or rather.. an emigrating breed. 

That was a middle class in general comment since he just said "politicians". And the middle class is always their go to, default pocketbook. They know perfectly well that no one else is ever gonna pay in the end.

• Like 2

I’m imagining a time about 18 months from now, should Trump win. I can see Californian Leftists SCREAMING that Trump isn’t their President because they didn’t vote for him and he wasn’t wanted in California.

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’m imagining a time about 18 months from now, should Trump win. I can see Californian Leftists SCREAMING that Trump isn’t their President because they didn’t vote for him and he wasn’t wanted in California.

Very true. They WILL scream that. 

Mind you.. being Californians.. they will ALSO scream that women should be allowed to marry chandeliers. As a constitutional right. 

Californians will scream for all SORTS of utter bull****. 

Perhaps that's why we love them so much ? :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Very true. They WILL scream that. 

Mind you.. being Californians.. they will ALSO scream that women should be allowed to marry chandeliers. As a constitutional right. 

Californians will scream for all SORTS of utter bull****. 

Perhaps that's why we love them so much ? :P 

Speak for yourself!  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Some will, a few will just buckle down with their startups, make a few hundred billion dollars more and buy what they want.

10 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Yeah, I view it along the lines of "You must have X number of signatures to be o the ballot."

That certainly is true in state elections. I don't know about the feds. they never seem to mention it.

I do know that anyone can run as a write in. never really heard of getting elected that way but it's an option

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Let them. They say that now, anyway, the Philistines 

The article says that at least two other suits were filed. I am sure they state will win on the lower level. But the Supremes will set them straight.

Strangely enough, it only applies to the primary, not the general election.

• Like 2