Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Pettytalk

Why is there existence, rather than nothing?

236 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

spartan max2
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

One day we will go extinct and the earth will be swallowed by our sun. Every single thing that humanity had ever done will be gone. So nothing we will do shall matter. With are without us the universe goes on and on till it eventually burns out. From no-thing to no-thing once again. Nothing matters.

My question is how are you defining if something "matters"

So your definition of "matter" is based upon if something last eternally?

If humans lived forever we they "matter"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, spartan max2 said:

My question is how are you defining if something "matters"

So your definition of "matter" is based upon if something last eternally?

If humans lived forever we they "matter"?

Is it really that difficult to understand that absolutely nothing matters at all. Not now, not later, not forever. Countless lives have come and gone, countless more will do the same. All ashes, dust. Gone forever. Their lives meaningless. The universe is the same way. Meaningless. Even the stuff that might 'matter' to you right now, won't matter to you once you're dead. My point is that we exist and then we won't. The inbetween is just filler. Pointless filler. There is no plan in this cosmos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

If you want me to get all philosophical on this nonsense. Here we go. Reality is like the white noise on a tv and we've got pareidolia. That should make The Nerd happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
41 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's cute and all but tell me this. How does the observer exist? If you have to observe something to for it to exist. Then what in the hell is self-awareness. Because without something objective to observe things, nothing would exist. Yet meteors and asteroids that near miss our planet obvious exist without us observing them till it's a close call or too late. Quantum woo. 

You're right. It makes no sense. Unless reality is simulated. Then it makes perfect sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

You're right. It makes no sense. Unless reality is simulated. Then it makes perfect sense.

Nope. What's simulating reality? Some-thing has to exist in order to create reality. Without any observers, nothing can exist. Some-thing is missing and science doesn't know what it is. Good chance it'll never know. Quantum physics creates its own paradox. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nope. What's simulating reality? Some-thing has to exist in order to create reality. Without any observers, nothing can exist. Some-thing is missing and science doesn't know what it is. Good chance it'll never know. Quantum physics creates its own paradox. 

If you didn't reply like that, you wouldn't be you :tu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
5 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Why do you feel that the question is nonsensical rubbish?

Here is one person that thought it was not rubbish, and actually wrote a book based on that question.

 

Forget science. Forget God. This is the ultimate question: What if Everything had Forever been Nothing

 

Professor Krauss did not do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

I disagree with the trivial pointless part, because evidence shows that nature adapts to us. We matter. We just don't know why. Yet.

Why is a human question. Its silly and pointless. It's just ego driven. We don't ask why the moon exists, we ask how it came to be. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
20 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

You're right. It makes no sense. Unless reality is simulated. Then it makes perfect sense.

I agree with Xeno. A simulation is as open to interpretation as religion. It's a circular argument. Pointless really. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I agree with Xeno. A simulation is as open to interpretation as religion. It's a circular argument. Pointless really. 

It takes the place of the god argument or it can be seen as a part of the god argument. God created the simulation, but where did god come from, and on and on the question goes, never to be answered. 

We exist. That's good enough for some of us. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Why is a human question. Its silly and pointless. It's just ego driven. We don't ask why the moon exists, we ask how it came to be. 

Quote

I agree with Xeno. A simulation is as open to interpretation as religion. It's a circular argument. Pointless really. 

All I did was present the quantum evidence and a logical interpretation of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We exist. That's good enough for some of us. 

The simulators appreciate it! Without you guys, they would have to shut it down! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, sci-nerd said:

The simulators appreciate it! Without you guys, they would have to shut it down! :D

You're no different than the religious.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

All I did was present the quantum evidence and a logical interpretation of it.

The 'why' has nothing at all to do with QM. That's an ego driven question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You're no different than the religious.

That's uncalled for! You take that back! Dammit!

I don't believe it! It's not a conviction! It's just a favorite ontology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

The 'why' has nothing at all to do with QM. That's an ego driven question. 

No. It's basic philosophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

No. It's basic philosophy.

Philosophy asks questions that physics answers. It's mostly pointless and largely ego driven as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Philosophy asks questions that physics answers. It's mostly pointless and largely ego driven as well. 

No, you've got it backwards. Science creates questions that philosophy answers!

Science is the how. Philosophy is the why.

You might hate the 'why', but it is legitimate.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
Just now, sci-nerd said:

No, you've got it backwards. Science creates questions that philosophy answers!

When has this happened? Philosophy found the Higgs boson? Philosophy can be a starting point to springboard into questions that science answers. 

Just now, sci-nerd said:

Science is the how. Philosophy is the why.

You might hate the 'why', but it is legitimate.

Its nothing to do with hate. It's a silly question that is a human ego driven quest. It is pointless. Why doesn't matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

When has this happened? Philosophy found the Higgs boson? Philosophy can be a starting point to springboard into questions that science answers. 

Its nothing to do with hate. It's a silly question that is a human ego driven quest. It is pointless. Why doesn't matter. 

It was the 'why' that drove Higgs to find the boson. If he had not wondered why energy can gain mass, no one would have thought of looking for it!

Can't you see how biased you are, against anything that isn't cold hard physical facts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
8 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

No, you've got it backwards. Science creates questions that philosophy answers!

Science is the how. Philosophy is the why.

You might hate the 'why', but it is legitimate.

There is no answer to why.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
20 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

That's uncalled for! You take that back! Dammit!

I don't believe it! It's not a conviction! It's just a favorite ontology.

You treat it with the same reverence that the faithful do with their belief systems. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

There is no answer to why.

 

Of course there is! Unless we stop looking for it! And that is your recipe, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It was the 'why' that drove Higgs to find the boson. If he had not wondered why energy can gain mass, no one would have thought of looking for it!

No it wasn't. It was the how. It had to exist to complete the standard model. 

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Can't you see how biased you are, against anything that isn't cold hard physical facts?

No, I'm a realist and don't see imagination as a useful tool when evaluating reality. What do you feel embracing woo actually accomplishes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
Just now, sci-nerd said:

Of course there is! Unless we stop looking for it! And that is your recipe, right?

Why does a mountain exist? 

 

See. Stupid question isn't it. 

Edited by psyche101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.