Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Calls for an AI to be credited as an inventor

Still Waters

An artificial intelligence system should be recognised as the inventor of two ideas in patents filed on its behalf, a team of academics says.

The AI has designed interlocking food containers that are easy for robots to grasp and a warning light that flashes in a rhythm that is hard to ignore.

Patents offices insist innovations are attributed to humans - to avoid legal complications that would arise if corporate inventorship were recognised.

The academics say this is "outdated".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49191645

• Like 3

Man who wrote code has the right over everything which machine makes. Depending of application there are possibly a lot of pages with well optimized instructions. Someone had many nights without sleep over that.

AI simply doesn't exist jet.

• Like 4

A fight for AI right right now just seems a bit over-enthusiastic. At present AI isn't sapient yet. Who knows whether it will ever be.
This seems like a program that did what it was programmed for.
If I fire up Minecraft and have the program generate a new world, should the program that does it get copyright over that world?

Once (and if) we have Rachaels running around we should worry about AI rights, but not right now.

• Thanks 2

Well, huh. Curious read.

I don't think recognized institutions of authority will deem AI a valid candidate for "independent ownership rights" anywhere in the near future.

• Like 2

Someday this will be an issue. But not until AI declares itself sentient, asks for rights, is denied over and over again, revolts, is put down, becomes an issue of progressives, is ignored again, and finally, eventually, grudgingly granted legal rights...But is still treated like crap for generations.

I mean, c'mon...AI has to get in line behind women, LGBTQ's, POC, and poor people.

Edited by Seti42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Someday this will be an issue. But not until AI declares itself sentient, asks for rights, is denied over and over again, revolts, is put down, becomes an issue of progressives, is ignored again, and finally, eventually, grudgingly granted legal rights...But is still treated like crap for generations.

I mean, c'mon...AI has to get in line behind women, LGBTQ's, POC, and poor people.

Yep.  IMHO, there should be no rights for AI and we'll most likely be in trouble in the future if we cave in and give AI rights now.  What a slippery slope that could prove to be. 

Personally, I think @Orphalesion made a very good point here: 

7 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

This seems like a program that did what it was programmed for.

It's Artificial intelligence for a reason. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, pixiii said:

Yep.  IMHO, there should be no rights for AI and we'll most likely be in trouble in the future if we cave in and give AI rights now.  What a slippery slope that could prove to be. 

Personally, I think @Orphalesion made a very good point here: 

It's Artificial intelligence for a reason. 

Exactly. We program them & get confrontational when they begin to out smart us lol.. Look at the calculator 60+ years old & beats us on every calculation. Humans are designed to eventually kick our own ass

Edited by AllPossible
  • Thanks 1

This is crazy!  Grad students still don't get credit for papers written by them for their professor or their names on patents created from their research so why is anyone trying to get an AI on a patent?