Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Divers uncover Ancient temple of Heracleion

Still Waters

I saw a report about it. The finds are lush and opulent, as if they had found Atlantis, only better.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The ancient Egyptian city of Heracleion was once a bustling trading port. Now, it lies 45 metres (about 148 feet) under the Mediterranean Sea. Recently, divers have revealed perhaps the best find since the submerged city was rediscovered two decades ago.

In their most recent underwater expedition, Egyptian and European experts have found significant remains of a large temple under the sea, as well as several ships laden with treasure such as coins and jewellery.

Archaeologists led by Franck Goddio, who was also in charge of the very first underwater exploration of Heracleion, think they have found the stone columns from the city's main temple (called Amun Garp), as well as the remains of a smaller Greek temple.

https://www.sciencealert.com/diving-archaeologists-uncover-an-ancient-temple-in-the-egyptian-atlantis

https://www.franckgoddio.org/projects/sunken-civilizations/heracleion.html

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

My guess is it slid into the sea due to unstable foundations as listed. It might have had a volcanic underlying base lower down.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

My guess is it slid into the sea due to unstable foundations as listed. It might have had a volcanic underlying base lower down.

This is an interesting conclusion. I had assumed that because the last ice ended about ten to eleven thousand years ago and the depth of the oceans were over one hundred meters lower, that the construction that was once above water would now be submerged. Would be quite interesting if your 'guess' could be measured as there is also speculation that the sea was heavily fed by freshwater sources and there might be a lot of silt present perhaps causing instability.

• Like 2

Need to add this to Assassins Creed Origins 

My only question is this: Why wait till 2019 with this? Is diving a new thing? Has there been an earth-shattering technological advancement in the diving industry just now that made this possible? I mean this site has been there for all this time, we have 8 billion people, Egypt is a popular diving destination, so why is it discovered only now?

Edited by Rolci

12 hours ago, Rolci said:

My only question is this: Why wait till 2019 with this? Is diving a new thing? Has there been an earth-shattering technological advancement in the diving industry just now that made this possible? I mean this site has been there for all this time, we have 8 billion people, Egypt is a popular diving destination, so why is it discovered only now?

they didn´t!  They found it 1999

13 hours ago, Herr Falukorv said:

they didn´t!  They found it 1999

And it took 20 years for this to hit the news???

1 hour ago, Rolci said:

And it took 20 years for this to hit the news???

No it didnt... If you had read and watched the links in the op it says clear as day that what they found now was a temple...