Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serial Killers in the U.S.

pallidin

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, RabidMongoose said:

With current statistics they say 2% of the population are sociopaths and psychopaths.

That means most workplaces have at least one, even if the other people working there dont realise. They are easy to spot once someone knows the tell-tale signs:

Senior management think the person is great: A sociopath or psychopath manages the perceptions of people in positions of power and influence to hide what they are. They are charming, manipulative, and ingratiating. When people start complaining about them this causes cognitive dissonance in senior managers - what they are hearing doesnt fit in with the delightful charming person they know, so they dismiss it.

Your post is incorrect.  In fact, you contradict yourself in it.  Starting here, "Senior management think the person is great." 

But then you quickly go on to :

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, RabidMongoose said:

You can spot those workplaces quite quickly from the personality types of the senior management team. Are they useless at dealing with people? Are they socially inept? Do they have poor interpersonal skills? It takes a special type of moron to give someone a job who is clearly messed up in the head without realizing it. It takes a special type of moron to always think they are delightful and charming regardless of the complaints being made. That moron, is someone who has no clue about people.

Now how do you line up those theories ?  

I think you were on the right track with Management being fooled into thinking the person is great.  The fact is sane people have a real problem identifying insanity even when it's in the family.  What I've observed is that when sane people evaluate behaviors their minds automatically assign sane motivations behind those behaviors.  People who don't identify sociopathic or psychopathic behavior are not morons, they're simply limited by their own sane rationale.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

Your post is incorrect.  In fact, you contradict yourself in it.  Starting here, "Senior management think the person is great." 

But then you quickly go on to :

Now how do you line up those theories ?  

I think you were on the right track with Management being fooled into thinking the person is great.  The fact is sane people have a real problem identifying insanity even when it's in the family.  What I've observed is that when sane people evaluate behaviors their minds automatically assign sane motivations behind those behaviors.  People who don't identify sociopathic or psychopathic behavior are not morons, they're simply limited by their own sane rationale.

No I dont contradict myself.

The sociopaths/psychopaths take up residence at companies where they can get away with their behaviour because the management team arent clued up about people. A lot of managers dont like being told this (and I have a business degree so I know what I`m talking about) but the sociopaths/psychopaths selected that specific company to stay at due to the uselessness of managers at spotting problem employees and ease of manipulating them.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, RabidMongoose said:

No I dont contradict myself.

The sociopaths/psychopaths take up residence at companies where they can get away with their behaviour because the management team arent clued up about people. A lot of managers dont like being told this (and I have a business degree so I know what I`m talking about) but the sociopaths/psychopaths selected that specific company to stay at due to the uselessness of managers at spotting problem employees and ease of manipulating them.

Well with your degree in Business in hand, you should probably pass on the information that you have to identify Sociopaths/psychopaths to the FBI and "clue them up" about people.  I'm sure they would appreciate the information more than the poor manager you're harassing about the problem employee you've spotted.

18 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

Well with your degree in Business in hand, you should probably pass on the information that you have to identify Sociopaths/psychopaths to the FBI and "clue them up" about people.  I'm sure they would appreciate the information more than the poor manager you're harassing about the problem employee you've spotted.

They already know how to spot them.

Dont personalise this, I am not harassing any poor manager with a problem employee.

Edited by RabidMongoose

I think something to consider here in this thread is what's currently the definition of a serial killer. I know in the U.S. it's generally 2+ killings with cool down periods. That's a rather large umbrella. If other countries have different definitions, please do tell.

A lot of more publicized SK's had rather short cool downs- Some fairly short, some went on for years. It's possible for a SK to have years of cool down between killings.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

They already know how to spot them.

Dont personalise this, I am not harassing any poor manager with a problem employee.

If they know how to spot them then they'd be identifying them a whole lot faster than they do and, in terms of murder investigations in general, watching the different documentaries, how often have you seen them questioned and released before the crime is solved ?  

I'm glad to hear that your take on managers isn't caused by something going on in your personal life.  I'll have to say my take on it is from forty years of work experience as an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in such varied fields, it's funny.  Looking back I will always feel that I worked with two sociopaths/psychopaths.  No, not to the point I thought them killers but dangerous people just the same.  What I think you are under estimating is they are so very practiced in making sure people are charmed by them, 100% taken in as they work towards their "needful things" under cover of their smiles and charm.   

In the end one was found out.  But not after the Office Manager discovered her stealing from the Petty Cash.  What was alarming about that was not the theft itself but the fact that when the Office Manager faced her with knowledge of it, her response was not apologetic but rather an open threat to the Office Manager should she make others aware of the theft.  Yep, and when made aware of what happened the boss dismissed it as a youthful mistake.  She was so cute, so funny, he was sure she had learned from the experience.  And she did.  From there she went on to helping herself to a couple of thousand on one of the guys accounts.  Again, she was so cute, such laughs, he faced her privately and simply told her she was going to have to pay it back.  That's when a day or so after that he was leaving a bar at 1:00 am with a group related to business. Thank God he happen to spot her on a level above in the parking garage, hidden between the cars, looking down on him, stalking him for real.  What she had intended to do had he been alone and had not spotted her, we never knew.  

The other one that I knew was actually worse, gave me nightmares for years even after I retired and I don't know where she is today.  All I know is that where ever she is people love her !  LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vincennes said:

If they know how to spot them then they'd be identifying them a whole lot faster than they do and, in terms of murder investigations in general, watching the different documentaries, how often have you seen them questioned and released before the crime is solved ?  

I'm glad to hear that your take on managers isn't caused by something going on in your personal life.  I'll have to say my take on it is from forty years of work experience as an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in such varied fields, it's funny.  Looking back I will always feel that I worked with two sociopaths/psychopaths.  No, not to the point I thought them killers but dangerous people just the same.  What I think you are under estimating is they are so very practiced in making sure people are charmed by them, 100% taken in as they work towards their "needful things" under cover of their smiles and charm.   

In the end one was found out.  But not after the Office Manager discovered her stealing from the Petty Cash.  What was alarming about that was not the theft itself but the fact that when the Office Manager faced her with knowledge of it, her response was not apologetic but rather an open threat to the Office Manager should she make others aware of the theft.  Yep, and when made aware of what happened the boss dismissed it as a youthful mistake.  She was so cute, so funny, he was sure she had learned from the experience.  And she did.  From there she went on to helping herself to a couple of thousand on one of the guys accounts.  Again, she was so cute, such laughs, he faced her privately and simply told her she was going to have to pay it back.  That's when a day or so after that he was leaving a bar at 1:00 am with a group related to business. Thank God he happen to spot her on a level above in the parking garage, hidden between the cars, looking down on him, stalking him for real.  What she had intended to do had he been alone and had not spotted her, we never knew.  

The other one that I knew was actually worse, gave me nightmares for years even after I retired and I don't know where she is today.  All I know is that where ever she is people love her !  LOL

Its not hard to spot one but you have to understand what they are and the differences in how their cogs go around.

Ask them a moral dilemma question, or do a role play exercise where they have to act caring to a pretend customer, and you will notice you get odd responses. While they can fake emotions there is no depth to them because they dont experience them to understand them. Ask them what the opposite of love is and you will get an odd answer.

Make the interview process totally boring and watch them start acting out. Ask them what their weaknesses are.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

If you or anyone was able to easily spot them, don't you think the FBI or another alphabet agency would have hired you to find them for the agency ? 

Or at the very least hire you as a "natural" profiler or something ?

Yes, and according to the experts, the tendency of cruelty to animals is a behavior to be taken as a serious sign to possible future cruelty, including cruelty, murder - of human beings. And if you look at it carefully, many, many people are happy to treat animals as less-than, to the point of being cruel. So, hey, the germ of the serial killer is in a lot of us. But obviously there's a whole host of other factors to take into account, as well. Yes, very interesting. Stay vigilant friends.

Look out for heartlessness in your fellow human being. Reject it! 

On 9/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, RedddWing said:

If you or anyone was able to easily spot them, don't you think the FBI or another alphabet agency would have hired you to find them for the agency ? 

Or at the very least hire you as a "natural" profiler or something ?

You realize that sociopaths/psycopaths aren't all killers right?  In fact most aren't, most are very successful because they have no empathy meaning they are able to do immoral things without regret. I remember reading a study on CEO's of Fortune 500 Companies and a staggering amount of them were found to be Sociopaths or Psychopath's.

You can't arrest someone for having no empathy lol, so i don't know why you two are saying the FBI should hire him to find them. Many Sociopaths come to recognize the way they feel is societally wrong so they work to normalize their behaviour because they want to fit in and be normal. Similar to Psychotic's medicating so they don't have episodes were they can be dangerous.

Also profiling is pseudoscience, there's no evidence that it works. You can extrapolate obvious things about offenders from the facts of a crime, but profiling doesn't catch criminals, DNA does, looking at those close to victims does, profiles don't they are frequently wrong or only partially accurate and are largely a waste of time.

On 9/16/2019 at 1:42 AM, zygote_myles said:

Yes, and according to the experts, the tendency of cruelty to animals is a behavior to be taken as a serious sign to possible future cruelty, including cruelty, murder - of human beings. And if you look at it carefully, many, many people are happy to treat animals as less-than, to the point of being cruel. So, hey, the germ of the serial killer is in a lot of us. But obviously there's a whole host of other factors to take into account, as well. Yes, very interesting. Stay vigilant friends.

Look out for heartlessness in your fellow human being. Reject it! 

Actually cruelty to animals alone isn't seen as a sign of it two or more of the three Macdonald Triad signs are: animal cruelty, persistent bedwetting past a certain age and obsession with setting fires. Many see this as nonsense though, like most of what Douglas and Ressler said there's little evidence for it.