Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serial Killers in the U.S.

pallidin

I did not know this, and it's disturbing...

"John Douglas, a former Chief of the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit and author of Mind Hunter says,

"A very conservative estimate is that there are between 35-50 active serial killers in the United States at any given time."

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1222710/amp

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

Looking at different stories and watching true crime shows I've discovered we really don't know about 95% of them. One's like Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy were given a lot of attention. By far the majority of them are not.

• Like 7

So, there are psycho predators out there whom will kill a random person for little to no reason at all?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I did not know this, and it's disturbing...

"John Douglas, a former Chief of the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit and author of Mind Hunter says,

"A very conservative estimate is that there are between 35-50 active serial killers in the United States at any given time."

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1222710/amp

I agree it is very disturbing, but you never know who is living near you. That's why it is very important to stay alert.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, pallidin said:

So, there are psycho predators out there whom will kill a random person for little to no reason at all?

Sure. Serial killers pick their victims randomly. They don't know the people they kill. Bundy picked his by their haircolor and style. A lot of them kill prostitutes or women they think are prostitutes.  Dennis Rader and Richard Ramirez broke into people's houses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, susieice said:

Serial killers pick their victims randomly.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true. Some definitely choose their victims at random, but other pick specific people for specific reasons. This visible pattern is what has led to many of them being caught.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm not sure if this is entirely true. Some definitely choose their victims at random, but other pick specific people for specific reasons. This visible pattern is what has led to many of them being caught.

Your seldom sure of anything. I said they don't know their victims. Read Pallidan's question.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

The Oxygen channel is currently running a weekly 2 hour documentary series on serial killers.  I just watched the first part of one last night and just like so many others, the most frightening thing was that the killer looked NORMAL, was a pretty successful real estate agent, nice home, etc.  John Douglas is involved with the series which is probably why the press release from him got published.  Personally, I wished they'd found another profiler.  I have a hard time listening to anything John Douglas has to say since he sold out to assist the Ramseys and has actually been admonished by the FBI for his conduct in regard to his opinions.  I liked the presentation style of the documentary but I take John Douglas with a large grain of book promoting salt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, susieice said:

Sure. Serial killers pick their victims randomly. They don't know the people they kill. Bundy picked his by their haircolor and style. A lot of them kill prostitutes or women they think are prostitutes.  Dennis Rader and Richard Ramirez broke into people's houses.

The majority of them target specific types of people.

The brains of sociopaths and psychopaths are different from the rest of the population. Both types of ASPD have genetic issues going on which means their brain structures are different.

As a result sociopaths dont experience boredom like how other people experience it. Its something that drives them up the wall and which they will do anything to end. They destroy people for the drama and excitement to alleviate that boredom. Sociopathy is often co-morbid with bi-polar and narcissism. With the bi-polar they destroy people for sadistic kicks to make themselves feel better. With the narcissism they destroy people to reduce them down to leave the sociopath as superior.

The need to end their boredom, to get sadistic kicks, and to be superior, are the drivers most often seen that lead sociopaths to committing crimes. Sociopathy is the result of some bad genetics combined with being abused by their parents.

Psychopaths are different, their version of ASPD is caused by bad genetics only. While similar to sociopaths in many ways they have even less feelings. Sociopaths can experience fear and anxiety, psychopaths do not.

They both target people who they think it will be easy to get drama and excitement out of, they target people better than them in some way, and they especially like to destroy people perceived as high value to society. Beauty, wealth, fame, power, success, confidence, intelligence, good moral compass, popularity, gifted in some way, etc, leads to a person being targeted.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Sad 1

I used to like John Douglas too Vincennes. Read some of his earlier books. I knew he got involved in some way with the Ramsey case but didn't follow up on how. Yep, serial killers generally look just like everyone else. Even the families don't know. Rader's daughter was just on 20/20 last week and gave an interview about when the police came to the door and they found out he was the BTK killer.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

The majority of them target specific types of people.

The brains of sociopaths and psychopaths are different from the rest of the population. Both types of ASPD have genetic issues going on which means their brain structures are different.

As a result sociopaths dont experience boredom like how other people experience it. Its something that drives them up the wall and which they will do anything to end. They destroy people for the drama and excitement to alleviate that boredom. Sociopathy is often co-morbid with bi-polar and narcissism. With the bi-polar they destroy people for sadistic kicks to make themselves feel better. With the narcissism they destroy people to reduce them down to leave the sociopath as superior.

The need to end their boredom, to get sadistic kicks, and to be superior, are the drivers most often seen that lead sociopaths to committing crimes. Sociopathy is the result of some bad genetics combined with being abused by their parents.

Psychopaths are different, their version of ASPD is caused by bad genetics only. While similar to sociopaths in many ways they have even less feelings. Sociopaths can experience fear and anxiety, psychopaths do not.

They pick specific types but they don't personally know these people. Bundy used hair. Many just kill prostitutes.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Just now, susieice said:

They pick specific types but they don't personally know these people. Bundy used hair. Many just kill prostitutes. Like I said before.

The prostitutes usually get targeted because there is more chance of getting away with it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

The prostitutes usually get targeted because there is more chance of getting away with it.

And a lot of times it works. Truck drivers have been known to hunt interstates covering a large territory. The victims are random, chosen by whatever the killer has going on in his mind. Any of us could be chosen. Sometimes finding the trigger can be hard for LE. A lot are never caught.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, susieice said:

Your seldom sure of anything. I said they don't know there victims. Read Pallidan's question.

Well I worded it like that to be diplomatic. I'm positive that the claim that serial killers choose their victims randomly is 100% untrue. Often they don't, often they do. Sometimes they also know their victims and neither you not Pallidin actually said anything about knowing their victims in any of your replies. 

Also: 'you're'.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

13 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Well I worded it like that to be diplomatic. I'm positive that the claim that serial killers choose their victims randomly is 100% untrue. Often they don't, often they do. Sometimes they also know their victims and neither you not Pallidin actually said anything about knowing their victims in any of your replies. 

Also: 'you're'.

Are you saying they go around killing people they know? That wouldn't be a hard pattern to follow. Someone they've seen before maybe but a lot of times, no. The victim is picked up or just attacked. Sometimes they operate within a comfort zone and sometimes they don't. The places they hunt can be random too. Some places are picked like those that hunt in bars or specific streets. 

Edited by susieice

11 minutes ago, susieice said:

Are you saying they go around killing people they know?

Yes, they can and have done. One example:

Edmund Emil Kemper III (born December 18, 1948) is an American serial killer and necrophile who murdered ten people, including his paternal grandparents and mother

But this wasn't what you stated. You stated that victims are chosen randomly, when in actual fact there's often a significant reason behind their selection. It was a blanket statement that is incorrect. 

53 minutes ago, susieice said:

And a lot of times it works. Truck drivers have been known to hunt interstates covering a large territory. 

With current statistics they say 2% of the population are sociopaths and psychopaths.

That means most workplaces have at least one, even if the other people working there dont realise. They are easy to spot once someone knows the tell-tale signs:

Senior management think the person is great: A sociopath or psychopath manages the perceptions of people in positions of power and influence to hide what they are. They are charming, manipulative, and ingratiating. When people start complaining about them this causes cognitive dissonance in senior managers - what they are hearing doesnt fit in with the delightful charming person they know, so they dismiss it.

Sociopaths/Psychopaths team together: They can spot other sociopaths and psychopaths a mile off along with narcissists, borderlines, and histrionics. They all team together in the workplace promoting the interests of each other. They all target and destroy the gifted employees and therefore undermine the interests of the business. The worse the problem becomes the more the business underperforms until it goes bust.

Gifted employees quit: Most gifted employees get out of there as quickly as possible. Those that need an extra budge get bullied and harassed, undermined, prevented from performing, get character assassinated, and get treated to mental health problems such as chronic anxiety and stress. Once gone perception management kicks in portraying them as bad employees who were crazy psychos. Gullible senior managers faced with the cognitive dissonance will buy into it.

You can spot those workplaces quite quickly from the personality types of the senior management team. Are they useless at dealing with people? Are they socially inept? Do they have poor interpersonal skills? It takes a special type of moron to give someone a job who is clearly messed up in the head without realising it. It takes a special type of moron to always think they are delightful and charming regardless of the complaints being made. That moron, is someone who has no clue about people.

Morons with no clue about people are liked by sociopaths and psychopaths. Its why in some workplaces they can get away with murdering patients for decades, committing financial frauds, and a variety of other criminal activities. In the early days they clean out all the gifted personal, they clean out the people with good people skills too (I haven't covered this but they eliminate anybody who could expose them), and once they are all gone its a workplace filled of Cluster B`s and morons who are clueless about them.

Most people can tell within 30 seconds of meeting a sociopath or psychopath that the person is messed up. The reason is they wear their brain development problems on their sleeves. They are negative, they are vile, they are odd, and they are just `plain off` with the way that they are. 

People who become their friends, enter into romantic relationships with them, enter into business relationships with them (including prostitution), are those who do not know there is a problem with the person. It takes damaged goods so to speak to partner up with damaged goods. Socially inept and clueless people. Some pay for it with their lives. Some are targets (if they have something going for them) and they usually end up paying with their lives too. Namely suicide, to the sociopaths or psychopaths delight.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

I read the title wrong thought it said cereal killer. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Between 35 and 50 out of 350 million?  Not bad percentage wise. 

Edit for:  OH dang, how many are here illegally :lol:

Edited by OverSword

The worst part is the fact many serial killers are people that are well known in the community, family oriented. In other words people you never would have thought would end up killing. Ted Bundy is an example, he had high intelligence, was seen as a good lawyer and even attractive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The worst part is the fact many serial killers are people that are well known in the community, family oriented. In other words people you never would have thought would end up killing. Ted Bundy is an example, he had high intelligence, was seen as a good lawyer and even attractive.

Yes. They are church officers, policemen, doctors and nurses. The list goes on. They look just like everybody else and the families often really have no idea.

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

What you see is not what was behind the mask.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, susieice said:

Are you saying they go around killing people they know? That wouldn't be a hard pattern to follow. Someone they've seen before maybe but a lot of times, no. The victim is picked up or just attacked. Sometimes they operate within a comfort zone and sometimes they don't. The places they hunt can be random too. Some places are picked like those that hunt in bars or specific streets. 

We do a talk in our self defense class about the 2 kinds of predators.

1) Process Predator - for a process predator the crime is the goal. The violence itself can be the reason..those are your rapists, murderers and serial killers. They are the types that will want to move you to a secondary location where they will have time, privacy and control. That's your worst scenerio fight with everything you have to not let that happen.

2) Resource Predator - this type of predator is in it for your resources.. money, car, etc. They will be willing to use violence to get what they want but in many cases will just threaten to get their way. Once they've achieved their goal the situation is resolved for them. If it's your purse they want, throw it one way and run the other making as much noise as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1