Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Super-Earth' discovered 31 light years away

UM-Bot

22 minutes ago, GLCsector3295 said:

what is really dense, is debating this topic. There is no way to reach any of these planets ever, so the topic becomes pointless/ dense. Until an actual probe can be sent to these plants to take actual photographs and make more detailed analysis then all I can really spare for these planet hunters is a slow golf clap and maybe play a tiny violin when they explain they found a possible habitable planet.

Yes lets not explore the universe. Lets just be content in our own little corner and not dream of something bigger. Lets just sit back and laugh at the people who want to know whats out there. :no:

Btw we don't neccesarily need probes to explore, we have telescopes that are orders of magnitude better than they were just a few decades ago and we have even better ones under construction or in the advanced planning stage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_large_telescope

A 39,3 meter telescope is being built right now in Chile by the European Southern Observatory (ESO). The Hubble telescope is 2,4 meters for comparison.

https://www.eso.org/public/teles-instr/elt/ 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Yes lets not explore the universe. Lets just be content in our own little corner and not dream of something bigger. Lets just sit back and laugh at the people who want to know whats out there. :no:

Btw we don't neccesarily need probes to explore, we have telescopes that are orders of magnitude better than they were just a few decades ago and we have even better ones under construction or in the advanced planning stage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_large_telescope

A 39,3 meter telescope is being built right now in Chile by the European Southern Observatory (ESO). The Hubble telescope is 2,4 meters for comparison.

https://www.eso.org/public/teles-instr/elt/ 

And "the dense" are using Isaac Newton's formulas.  How dense was he? He never had a telescope to find any exoplanet.

• Thanks 1

On 2.8.2019 at 7:18 PM, RabidMongoose said:

Space Shuttles and Rockets subject astronauts to 5g - 6g for 20 minutes,

Thats incorrect. The Space Shuttle accelerated at  <3g and, not at 5-6 and the operation orbit was reached after 8.5 minutes into the flight, not 20 minutes.

• Like 1

Nah, golf claps for science finding un reachable planets is all i am saying. and telescopes are great, but until one can get better proof via photographs that are as clear as can be and something more concrete than using telescopes that rely on light wave lengths , it is just drops in the ocean. I just find it pointless, less there is bigger plan, which there isn't.

If these institutions were to say, we have a bigger plan ,we are locating what we think are Earth like habitable planets, so that in so many years we can send probes to these planets to verify what our telescopes can't .... then i would find some hope.  Right now I just find it pointless. Is it fun to find new planets, sure. But it isn't changing my life any.

3 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

Nah, golf claps for science finding un reachable planets is all i am saying. and telescopes are great, but until one can get better proof via photographs that are as clear as can be and something more concrete than using telescopes that rely on light wave lengths , it is just drops in the ocean. I just find it pointless, less there is bigger plan, which there isn't.

If these institutions were to say, we have a bigger plan ,we are locating what we think are Earth like habitable planets, so that in so many years we can send probes to these planets to verify what our telescopes can't .... then i would find some hope.  Right now I just find it pointless. Is it fun to find new planets, sure. But it isn't changing my life any.

You’re missing the point! 

Astronomy is not about finding us potentially habitable planets, that’s a more recent idea which may become viable in the future. Have a read: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomy :)

The discussions in this thread are just clarifying peoples misunderstanding.

Do you think astronomy has not changed your life? There are still learnings going on from past and new discoveries that would be!

So please change the slow golf clap to a full-fledged palm-burning applause, for all of the astronomers out there putting in work! :clap::clap::clap:

These are great people doing great works! (To kinda quote that guy in Serenity)

And I feel like Alan Grant in Jurassic Park 1 schooling that little kid at the start about velociraptors not being turkeys. (Although in reality they were nothing like in the movies :rofl:)

At our technological level, the most we could currently do would be: To send off a radio signal which would take however many years to reach the planet, hope someone is there, hope they hear it, hope they have worm-hole type technology, hope they’re good aliens and hope that they come and teach us how to be a better civilization and hope that they then offer to teach us about they’re technology etc. 

Waiting to see who turns up would be the real kicker! 

But, there’s probably no life on that planet. There could potentially be 3x Earth gravity land-blobbials, or; ocean dwelling life would be more likely etc. But probably not.

Although I do believe there’s life out there somewhere. It would be very sad if we on Earth are it!

Welcome to UM!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Although I do believe there’s life out there somewhere. It would be very sad if we on Earth are it!

Welcome to UM!

A quote from Carl Sagans excellent book Contact comes to mind: "If we are alone in the Universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space."

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

A quote from Carl Sagans excellent book Contact comes to mind: "If we are alone in the Universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space."

Yes! Dad has that book. One of my favorite quotes (and there aren’t many!).

I’m not sure if he first told me that quote, or if I heard it elsewhere. But I know that I didn’t appreciate/feel it at the time. I was too young and ignorant!

Being a bit older and a little less ignorant, I do now appreciate the magnitude of it, and the strange emotion that comes with it.

Thinking there has to be something out there, and just hoping for confirmation before I die...