Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man opens fire on 'Bigfoot' in national park

UM-Bot

Well it does prove:

The guy never took a hunter's safety class.

The guy did not know the rules in a national park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@Tatetopa In February of 2010, legally carrying a loaded firearm in a national park is allowed by federal law and yes you cant hunt there specifically (you can in 39 other national parks) but you are allowed to discharge said weapon in rare circumstances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are parks where hunting is allowed. All or most are in Alaska.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/firearms-in-national-parks.htm

Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. 

Specifics for Mammoth Cave are mentioned here.

https://www.nps.gov/maca/learn/management/firearms.htm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's not uncommon for bears to wonder campsites looking for food. It could of been a bear or some other animal. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Okay 13bats.  That proves it :gun:

it proves what? meth heads go camping? :P

If and thats a huge if he didnt make up the whole thing i will hedge my bet it was a bear :whistle:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, hehuntsbeaver said:

@Tatetopa In February of 2010, legally carrying a loaded firearm in a national park is allowed by federal law and yes you cant hunt there specifically (you can in 39 other national parks) but you are allowed to discharge said weapon in rare circumstances.

OK.  Thanks for that.  You are right.  I have not been keeping up.  35% of National Parks allow carrying firearms in campsites and on trails and in buildings and some hunting.  Mammoth is one of those.  I have hunted on BLM ans Forest Service Land but not a National Park.  But I suppose this is not about hunting, it is about carrying firearms for protection against bad guys and Bigfoot..

So maybe they were just stupid and not breaking the law.

• Like 4

Any recommendations for avoiding crazies?  

Don't stay in campsites maybe?

Take your AR since it is legal.  If somebody shoots near your tent and you see the muzzle flash, just light the area up with a burst so they will know you are there?

Sheesh. I could deal with bears, Bigfoot has never bothered me.  It is Meth-heads  and crazies that keep me out of public parks and off populated trails. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

And bigfoot got away again. Probably took a shovel and an axe. Seeing as how they need tools to cover up their existence by burying their dead, and all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

After reading that article, I immediately thought it could've been a bear :o  

I would've have thought it would've been anything else other than a bear, to be quite honest?  They'd roam at this time of year in that area right?  Sorry, I'm not from there, therefore not familiar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, pixiii said:

After reading that article, I immediately thought it could've been a bear :o  

I would've have thought it would've been anything else other than a bear, to be quite honest?  They'd roam at this time of year in that area right?  Sorry, I'm not from there, therefore not familiar.

Pretty logical guess.  Before I learned to stow everything or put it up high I got visited by bears a couple of times.  I thought a metal cooler would be safe on the ground.  Nope.  At least I knew better than to put any food in my tent.  

A bear can do a lot of damage looking for a midnight snack.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Any recommendations for avoiding crazies?  

Don't stay in campsites maybe?

Take your AR since it is legal.  If somebody shoots near your tent and you see the muzzle flash, just light the area up with a burst so they will know you are there?

Sheesh. I could deal with bears, Bigfoot has never bothered me.  It is Meth-heads  and crazies that keep me out of public parks and off populated trails. 

Maybe just stop being terrified of your fellow man.

How often do you see news stories of a shootout happening at a camp site?

You might as well be just as afraid of someone taking an axe to you in the middle of the night at a campsite. Probably just as likely (unlikely) a scenario.

Also, even if it was not legal someone could easily sneak a gun in their gear. Campsites and parks don't search your gear before entrance. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

People get murdered around the Appalachian Trail. Rangers and range riders get in shootouts with Meth cookers all the time. It just doesn't hit the news.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

He is a experienced woodjin whose just being sarcastic. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

People like this guy should not be allowed in a park or in the woods anywhere with a weapon. Firing a weapon blindly in the dark is just too dangerous to other campers.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Pretty logical guess.  Before I learned to stow everything or put it up high I got visited by bears a couple of times.  I thought a metal cooler would be safe on the ground.  Nope.  At least I knew better than to put any food in my tent.  

A bear can do a lot of damage looking for a midnight snack.

Personally, I'd be so scared to go camping in the US as bears seem such dangerous creatures.  They frighten the hell out of me!  I'm guessing you guys are very used to them roaming the forests etc.  :) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Several years back i swapped a PT looser car for a vw trike we lived in orlando but it was in jacksonville on the state line, we drove up, i wanted it and swapped but it was in bad shape ( i knew i could fix it up )  in my mind i didnt know if it would make it home, we went back roads, most have bear xing signs, tina asked was i worried if we broke down would a bear get us,

i said not worried about the bears, im worried about the back woods meth head rednecks dancing around their stills and playing spin the cousin, they get excited and like to shoot guns off while yelling "yeee haw".

Edited by the13bats
mistyped
  • Like 3

"Lord God, Billy-Bob! That was the meanest tourist we even did pick to scare!"

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, pixiii said:

Personally, I'd be so scared to go camping in the US as bears seem such dangerous creatures.  They frighten the hell out of me!  I'm guessing you guys are very used to them roaming the forests etc.  :) 

You are too brave.   All of the venomous crawlies in Australia scare me.

Bears are not ubiquitous.  There are millions of acres of beautiful camping with all sorts of terrain and climate with a few bears scattered here and there.   Come over, and see for yourself.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Piney said:

People get murdered around the Appalachian Trail. Rangers and range riders get in shootouts with Meth cookers all the time. It just doesn't hit the news.  

How about it Piney. This just happened.

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2019/05/man-accused-of-fatal-knife-attack-on-appalachian-trail-had-scared-hikers-for-weeks-authorities.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

You might as well be just as afraid of someone taking an axe to you in the middle of the night at a campsite. Probably just as likely (unlikely) a scenario.

You are a braver man than I am.  

Demented ax wielding crazies scare me.  

Irresponsible "ain't got a lick of sense"  people that shoot through a populated campsite at night scare me.

Does it make any difference if he is shooting at bigfoot, just drunk out of his mind and having fun, or a meth head that thinks giant crabs are coming out of the woods?  Not to the people downrange.

I never look for trouble, and try to avoid it if I can.

I wasn't sure of your point Spartan.  Are you suggesting that we shouldn't be afraid of our fellow man and therefore disarm?  Or are you saying  that guns are not the only danger?  I can agree to that interpretation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I wonder how much of that Kentucky moonshine They had consumed before the shooting?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2