Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First human-monkey chimera raises concern

Still Waters

Efforts to create human-animal chimeras have rebooted an ethical debate after reports emerged that scientists have produced monkey embryos containing human cells.

A chimera is an organism whose cells come from two or more “individuals”, with recent work looking at combinations from different species. The word comes from a beast from Greek mythology which was said to be part lion, part goat and part snake.

The latest report, published in the Spanish newspaper El País, claims a team of researchers led by Prof Juan Carlos Izpisúa Belmonte from the Salk Institute in the US have produced monkey-human chimeras. The research was conducted in China “to avoid legal issues”, according to the report.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/03/first-human-monkey-chimera-raises-concern-among-scientists

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/07/31/inenglish/1564561365_256842.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Seriously people???

You do realize that these hybrids can breed if enough are "created"

This is Bad, Bad, BAD.

We have enough problems in this world to deal with, without having to deal with created sentient hybrid species.

I think I need a beer, and grabbin' my shotgun.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, godnodog said:

What makes you think these hybrid are human like intelligent?

What makes you think they wouldn't be?

• Like 1

If these hybrids are created enough and somehow escape from their cells/prison, and by chance make love with girls in outside world. These girls give birth to babies and decide to keep them. Then our next human generation is doomed. Genes are spread like virus.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, godnodog said:

What makes you think these hybrid are human like intelligent?

Crossed with human cells...

This whole damn issue was addressed years ago, and some pertinent member-states of the United Nations agreed to not pursue human hybridization.

Apparently, China was not one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't they see teenage mutant ninja turtles,the cartoon? I know the methods are different, but come on. Bebop and Rocksteady. Who wants that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

What makes you think they wouldn't be?

gene sequences activation, several genes,  I dont know, thats why I was asking

• Like 1

This entire issue is dangerous beyond normality, seriously.

We have no business messing around with human hybridization.

It's not "science", rather insanity, in my opinion.

Can ANYONE offer an argument to support otherwise?

I'd like to hear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, pallidin said:

This entire issue is dangerous beyond normality, seriously.

We have no business messing around with human hybridization.

It's not "science", rather insanity, in my opinion.

Can ANYONE offer an argument to support otherwise?

I'd like to hear.

It is, in fact, science, whether you agree with it or not. Creating hybrids could be a good way to farm organs for transplant, grown from the patients own stem cells making rejection unlikely 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Island of Dr Moreau comes to mind.

• Like 3

Dwarfs, elves, hobbits, goblins, orcs and trolls... coming soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It is, in fact, science, whether you agree with it or not. Creating hybrids could be a good way to farm organs for transplant, grown from the patients own stem cells making rejection unlikely 

You are correct in saying it is science whether people agree with it or not.  Yes it could be a way to farm organs for transplant, grown from the patient's own stem cells.  However, I feel most people will have a huge issue with the ethical side of this.  I personally don't have a problem with them growing "organs" with stem cells harvested from the patients.  But I do have a problem when they're growing the organs in an entire hybridized body.  I do not agree that that's a suitable way.  I find it extremely scary.

6 hours ago, pallidin said:

Crossed with human cells...

This whole damn issue was addressed years ago, and some pertinent member-states of the United Nations agreed to not pursue human hybridization.

Apparently, China was not one of them.

.I also thought this was addressed years ago.  Is China not part of the agreement?  I have a friend in the US who is a geneticist and he said to me years ago, there are many private research companies that have been delving into this area and he too, questioned the ethical side himself (as he has diabetes and specifically researches that area).  But this is completely different and much more serious, it crosses the line imho.  I realise others may disagree, but I'm definitely against this and I really don't think anything could change my mind on this.    

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Efforts to create human-animal chimeras have rebooted an ethical debate after reports emerged that scientists have produced monkey embryos containing human cells.

A chimera is an organism whose cells come from two or more “individuals”, with recent work looking at combinations from different species. The word comes from a beast from Greek mythology which was said to be part lion, part goat and part snake.

The latest report, published in the Spanish newspaper El País, claims a team of researchers led by Prof Juan Carlos Izpisúa Belmonte from the Salk Institute in the US have produced monkey-human chimeras. The research was conducted in China “to avoid legal issues”, according to the report.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/03/first-human-monkey-chimera-raises-concern-among-scientists

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/07/31/inenglish/1564561365_256842.html

I really think just because you can do something doesn't alway mean you should do it.

Better to leave this alone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Harvesting organs from a sentient being just doesn't seem right.

Edited by pallidin
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Harvesting organs from a sentient being just doesn't seem right.

I agree.  I was just reading through this article on Ethics in Research and why it's important.....

Most people learn ethical norms at home, at school, in church, or in other social settings. Although most people acquire their sense of right and wrong during childhood, moral development occurs throughout life and human beings pass through different stages of growth as they mature. Ethical norms are so ubiquitous that one might be tempted to regard them as simple commonsense. On the other hand, if morality were nothing more than commonsense, then why are there so many ethical disputes and issues in our society?

One plausible explanation of these disagreements is that all people recognize some common ethical norms but interpret, apply, and balance them in different ways in light of their own values and life experiences. For example, two people could agree that murder is wrong but disagree about the morality of abortion because they have different understandings of what it means to be a human being.

If "deviations" from ethical conduct occur in research as a result of ignorance or a failure to reflect critically on problematic traditions, then a course in research ethics may help reduce the rate of serious deviations by improving the researcher's understanding of ethics and by sensitizing him or her to the issues.

Finally, education in research ethics should be able to help researchers grapple with the ethical dilemmas they are likely to encounter by introducing them to important concepts, tools, principles, and methods that can be useful in resolving these dilemmas. Scientists must deal with a number of different controversial topics, such as human embryonic stem cell research, cloning, genetic engineering, and research involving animal or human subjects, which require ethical reflection and deliberation.

Source: https://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/resources/bioethics/whatis/index.cfm

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyingAngel said:

If these hybrids are created enough and somehow escape from their cells/prison, and by chance make love with girls in outside world. These girls give birth to babies and decide to keep them. Then our next human generation is doomed. Genes are spread like virus.

What women would have sex with a monkey human hybrid?Most regular guys have enough trouble finding a women.I don't know where your from but I don't want to visit there:lol::lol::lol:

38 minutes ago, openozy said:

What women would have sex with a monkey human hybrid?Most regular guys have enough trouble finding a women.I don't know where your from but I don't want to visit there:lol::lol::lol:

Tigers and lions interbreed, modern humans and Neanderthals interbred, and so on.   Nothing would surprise me! :wacko:

49 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

Tigers and lions interbreed, modern humans and Neanderthals interbred, and so on.   Nothing would surprise me! :wacko:

There's hope for me yet:wub:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, clare256 said:

I have a problem with people eating the highly intelligent octopi . . .this is very disturbing.

Oh now we changed subject to food. Maybe after harvesting the organs, they could eat the rest (brain, nipple, ass) of the hybrids like some random cow, no different :lol:

Put them in a cage, make them make love with other hybrids at early age (like 13) and give birth to babies. Grow the babies and kill the parents. The generations go on. Like chickens in cages. So instead of farming eggs, we farm organs.

Once upon a time, there's a woman who takes care of the hybrids; encounter a handsome one and looks 95% like human. She has pity for him and as time goes by, she falls in love with him without knowing. For her, he's still a human and her ethical view makes she believes that human and hybrids could live in peace together.
One day she decides to secretly release him and take him home, have him in bed.. As the chemical takes over, she forgets that he is not completely human. What must happens will happen, she got pregnant!

Years goes by and the child grows up, physically no one would ever know it's a hybrid, only things inside him is different. It is his turn to pass his gene across humanity. 

7 hours ago, clare256 said:

I have a problem with people eating the highly intelligent octopi . . .this is very disturbing.

But you're fine with fish, birds, whales, dolphins and sharks?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FlyingAngel said:

Oh now we changed subject to food. Maybe after harvesting the organs, they could eat the rest (brain, nipple, ass) of the hybrids like some random cow, no different :lol:

Put them in a cage, make them make love with other hybrids at early age (like 13) and give birth to babies. Grow the babies and kill the parents. The generations go on. Like chickens in cages. So instead of farming eggs, we farm organs.

Once upon a time, there's a woman who takes care of the hybrids; encounter a handsome one and looks 95% like human. She has pity for him and as time goes by, she falls in love with him without knowing. For her, he's still a human and her ethical view makes she believes that human and hybrids could live in peace together.
One day she decides to secretly release him and take him home, have him in bed.. As the chemical takes over, she forgets that he is not completely human. What must happens will happen, she got pregnant!

Years goes by and the child grows up, physically no one would ever know it's a hybrid, only things inside him is different. It is his turn to pass his gene across humanity. 

I refuse to believe in pity sex!;)