Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Night-time wails scare women inmates at Tihar

104 posts in this topic

moonman
Posted (edited)

Sound reflection can really mess with you. The other day I was standing in my garage, there's an old tube TV off to my right. I'm standing there and I clearly hear static coming from the TV. I look at it - it's off. It's unplugged. Yet static streams from it. I was puzzled for a few seconds.

Turns out the TV screen was reflecting noise from the AC unit next door, it was coming in the open garage door, reflecting off a wooden shelf door behind me and reflecting back to me off the TV screen in a big triangle of perfect angles. I messed around with muffling the door and changing the angles, I could make the sound start and stop.

It was crazy how loud the reflected sound was. I was really convinced the TV was making the sound for a while - until a little debunking came into play and explained it all.

Too many people take things at face value and don't bother to debunk. The world can align to mess with you, it's your job to figure out what is really going on.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alchopwn
19 hours ago, the13bats said:

Our place was insisted to be haunted by previous owner one of her examples was the one upstairs toilet, even her ex asked me if i heard it, spookies in the wall.

all the pipes, drains and vents made for a pipe organ effect but not music sometimes if water etc was going down the large main pipe, and i dont mean just when flushed, a little too much water in the bowl could cause it at odd times, it can produce very spooky sounds.

Also the mass of duct work here, some from heating some when the added more heat or ac, if i play a radio or burn insense in the basement my wife knows it up stairs, and some noises are odd but prosiac.

doors that would open and close themselves even when locked, for the previous owner it was proof of haunts, within the first week i nailed that and a ghost would have been a simpler explanation.

Kudos 13bats, the more credulous may have simply been spooked.

• Like 1

the13bats
15 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Kudos 13bats, the more credulous may have simply been spooked.

I believe what is more spooky to me in my houses case is the former owner, i never met her never spoke directly to her,  her ex hit me after we were here 3 years, he was mad i bought the place thinking he should had had first chance.

I got the stories from lots of people who knew the lady but didnt know each other, some believed her others thought she was nuts, i saw here the symptoms of her beliefs.

for example she was convinced some odd vampire rats, that sounded like the creatures from dont be affraid of the dark came in at night to chew on her, she hap hazard stapled window screen over any vents or ducts even the lower gaps on some doors meaning they couldnt open, you could tell this was done in a panic hurry,

at least 100 rat traps around attic basment etc, several types, glue, electronic, jaws , old fashioned snap style, not one dead rat,

several months back a delivery fellow thought i was this ladies husband, he started in about the rat creatures, he believed it, when i told him who i was and never saw a dead one, no droppings no chew marks, he basically blew me off as im clueless,

the church next door people there told me she blamed them for the rats...just weird stuff...it goes on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alchopwn
9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I believe what is more spooky to me in my houses case is the former owner, i never met her never spoke directly to her,  her ex hit me after we were here 3 years, he was mad i bought the place thinking he should had had first chance.

I got the stories from lots of people who knew the lady but didnt know each other, some believed her others thought she was nuts, i saw here the symptoms of her beliefs.

for example she was convinced some odd vampire rats, that sounded like the creatures from dont be affraid of the dark came in at night to chew on her, she hap hazard stapled window screen over any vents or ducts even the lower gaps on some doors meaning they couldnt open, you could tell this was done in a panic hurry,

at least 100 rat traps around attic basment etc, several types, glue, electronic, jaws , old fashioned snap style, not one dead rat,

several months back a delivery fellow thought i was this ladies husband, he started in about the rat creatures, he believed it, when i told him who i was and never saw a dead one, no droppings no chew marks, he basically blew me off as im clueless,

the church next door people there told me she blamed them for the rats...just weird stuff...it goes on.

The rat thing is a bit Lovecraftian LINK.

• Like 1