Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

100's of rats run from Baltimore garbage man

ellapenella

15 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Is this a common thing in cities ?

Kind of.  And I'm not sure that that was quite "hundreds of rats".  Or even a hundred.  Disturbing yes, but consider this:  The brown rat can breed throughout the year if conditions are suitable, with a female producing up to five litters a year. The gestation period is only 21 days, and litters can number up to 14, although seven is common. They reach sexual maturity in about five weeks.

When you do the math, there are lots more rats out  there than you think there are.  People get sloppy about disposing of garbage or patching up their properties to keep rats out and so on...  This isn't one person's fault. The whole community has to dig in and work to solve the problem.  And work at it every day.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I live in Maryland. Closer to Annapolis than Baltimore City. As long as I can remember Baltimore has been trash. Nothing charming about it. =/

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Is this a common thing in cities ?

Yup.  Rats, racoons, pigeons, cockroaches, and other animals adapt and thrive in urban environments.   The most common- the black and brown rats aren't native and came over with the immigrants from the "old world".

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

All those rat burgers running away.

Not to mention that old street food favorite  rat on a stick.  

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Not to mention that old street food favorite  rat on a stick.  

Those are a favorite by the tram at Ironforge. (World of Warcraft)

Edited by South Alabam
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

All those rat burgers running away.

OMG. I'm going to call them that now! 

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, Gromdor said:

Yup.  Rats, racoons, pigeons, cockroaches, and other animals adapt and thrive in urban environments.   The most common- the black and brown rats aren't native and came over with the immigrants from the "old world".

So, why do they not have proper garbage containers ? What is being done about the problems? 

On 8/3/2019 at 11:23 AM, ScotDeerie said:

Kind of.  And I'm not sure that that was quite "hundreds of rats".  Or even a hundred.  Disturbing yes, but consider this:  The brown rat can breed throughout the year if conditions are suitable, with a female producing up to five litters a year. The gestation period is only 21 days, and litters can number up to 14, although seven is common. They reach sexual maturity in about five weeks.

When you do the math, there are lots more rats out  there than you think there are.  People get sloppy about disposing of garbage or patching up their properties to keep rats out and so on...  This isn't one person's fault. The whole community has to dig in and work to solve the problem.  And work at it every day.  

Maybe  people are not suppose to live in overcrowding conditions, but if they choose to, there ought to be a county or state worker in a dept. overseeing the conditions of the environment.  I notice that in the U.S all of the democrat run districts are in poor living conditions. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Maybe  people are not suppose to live in overcrowding conditions, but if they choose to, there ought to be a county or state worker in a dept. overseeing the conditions of the environment.  I notice that in the U.S all of the democrat run districts are in poor living conditions. 

Untrue. And you do know that Jared Kushner (GOP), Trump's son-in-law, owns over 400 apartments in Baltimore that have hundreds of complaints about their living conditions plus numerous housing code violations, right?  As do Trump's own properties -- even Mar-a-Largo.  This isn't a partisan issue. This is simply what happens when there are people living together who are not concerned about their living conditions  until they get intolerable. Then they are hard to fix.

And here's the state statistics for where Mitch McConnell, GOP Senator, has been in office for 35 years:

Edited by ScotDeerie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

So, why do they not have proper garbage containers ? What is being done about the problems? 

There is a difference between not having the proper containers and having the right container but not using them properly.  People are pigs.  Looking along a roadside will tell you that. Where do you live?  Why do you need this explained?

• Like 2

pretty common thing in nyc,  before 911 we had rats come out in hundreds outside in downtown, just on 1 street that  i was working at,  rats would rip garbage bags (we had like 6 restaurants on 1 block, and all dump food in garbage) they would even attack pigeons, but after 911 it ended, downtown Manhattan was completely redone, from sewer lines to train tunnels, manholes,......   but the rest of the city is just like that,  can't really  avoid it in large city. no matter what you do.  i used to have a switch room in sub basement, we had several rats caught in traps daily,    worst thing is to throw poison,  they die inside walls, then we have to open them up to remove dead stinking rats,    when a mouse dies it stinks, imagine large rats, or several

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

There is a difference between not having the proper containers and having the right container but not using them properly.  People are pigs.  Looking along a roadside will tell you that. Where do you live?  Why do you need this explained?

So , I am wondering if  the people of N.Y were issued proper garbage containers? 

22 hours ago, aztek said:

pretty common thing in nyc,  before 911 we had rats come out in hundreds outside in downtown, just on 1 street that  i was working at,  rats would rip garbage bags (we had like 6 restaurants on 1 block, and all dump food in garbage) they would even attack pigeons, but after 911 it ended, downtown Manhattan was completely redone, from sewer lines to train tunnels, manholes,......   but the rest of the city is just like that,  can't really  avoid it in large city. no matter what you do.  i used to have a switch room in sub basement, we had several rats caught in traps daily,    worst thing is to throw poison,  they die inside walls, then we have to open them up to remove dead stinking rats,    when a mouse dies it stinks, imagine large rats, or several

So, with the many building's in the city , where are critters suppose to live? I think  maybe humans were not meant to tear down nature and live in overcrowded cities.

22 hours ago, aztek said:

Citizens  need to demand something be done about  issues concerning trash and rats. There's enough taxes being deducted from pay checks . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellapennella said:

So , I am wondering if  the people of N.Y were issued proper garbage containers? 

no, we just put black garbage bags out, there isn't enough containers in USA to hold even daily nyc garbage supply, residential areas do have containers, but garbage men destroy those containers, residents overfill them so much lids do not close,  also you'll be surprised but seagulls know how to open lids,

Citizens  need to demand something be done about  issues concerning trash and rats. There's enough taxes being deducted from pay checks . 

and they do, none stop, but rats breed faster than we kill them.  

So, with the many building's in the city , where are critters suppose to live? I think  maybe humans were not meant to tear down nature and live in overcrowded cities.

they live in basements, in between walls, garbage dumps, ....   there would not be nearly as many rats if we did not have cities, and were not dumping food in garbage by thousands of tons a day, it is our creation, 

Edited by aztek

All I can say with the OP vid... HO-LEE  MO-LEE!

Two years ago they tore down a school near where I live. We had a little mouse problem but I know of no rat problem. And I have never seen a rat near my property or with any of my neighbors.

Baltimore is just a sewer. Sorry to people from there. 

On 8/5/2019 at 9:19 AM, ScotDeerie said:

I notice that in the U.S all of the democrat run districts are in poor living conditions. 

Chicago... LOL! Say no more.

And I just shudder to think what LA and San Francisco are and also, what they will be in time.

• Like 1

idk if it has anything to do with party affiliation. large cities all have lots of people, that means lot of restaurants, food, and garbage,  rats do not discriminate, they have no political affiliation, they just want to eat.

• Like 1

I don't know, @aztek,  I think personally that even the democrat *sections* of big cities seem to be the eyesores and the "troubled" sections, aka, CRIME sections. they just won't come out and say it. Something to do with not offending those residents.

I wonder if people have anything bad to say about the infrastructure of say, San Diego. It's never a news item.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
to add
  • Like 1