Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Poltergeist in Sanyati, Zimbabwe

macqdor

3 hours ago, macqdor said:

https://www.ghostlyactivities.com/poltergeists-not-necessarily-a-ghost/

"Geist" means spirit. not ghosts.

Mic drop.

This is exactly what has been suggested by many people - no one understands poltergeists.

There isn't any evidence one way or the other because there is no evidence.

The term is definitely linked to ghost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geist

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macqdor said:

Poltergeist interact with their environment, surroundings, people.

Ghost do not.

Poltergeist are whats known as an intelligent haunting, They show and reveal intelligence. A degree of pre-planning

Ghost are believed to be souls of dead people.   Your Aunt Ethel. Your Uncle Phil

Countless theories of what the poltergeist could be.   That doesn't include ghosts

Sorry

2nd mic drop.

It's so funny when it is claimed that the ghost shows intelligence.

I knew that the excuses would begin sooner or later. This is part of the excuse as to why no evidence is available. The laughable claim is that the ghost is too smart and quickly outwits the incompetent person trying to collect evidence.

There we go again with the lack of understanding of the word theory. The term is hypothesis.

• Thanks 1

That's just your opinion. You have no evidence to support your statements.

As I already quoted an expert on the subject, definitely not the person with the Washington hoax, no one understands whatever they want to label as poltergeist.

an expert on the subject?   Rule #1 there are no experts on the subject.  @stereologist

I stand by opinion.Based on eye witnessed accounts.  You stand by your world view. Neither if going to convince the other, the other person is wrong.

so why are u still here?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, macqdor said:

Let's analyze and unpack that.

**snip**

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polterabend

The behavior guest was intended to drive away this kind of spirit and misfortune. ......A loud racket is a means of superficial defense.  

Skeptics who dont believe in ghost or poltergeist love viewing them as being the same thing.  As a means of strengthening their argument.   Researchers who study the paranormal have concluded poltergeist are not  ghosts.  They dont meet the definition.  There much, much more.

Ask anyone who's lived with a poltergeist.  The characteristic thats impossible to forget no matter what continent you live on is the inexplicable noise.i.e. racket that they make.  Need a good example?  Gravity.   You can't see gravity.You can't chase gravity. You can't touch gravity.  Same thing can be said about the poltergeist.   You can't see it.  You can't touch it and you certainly can't chase it.    You can only feel the effects of gravity.  You can only feel the effects of poltergeists.   Unlike gravity.  The poltergeist will help you.

People (myself included) speak of voices coming out thin air. Clear voices. Male, female, not enough info to tell voices.

People(myself included) speak of shadowy figures, ugly decrepit beings, disfigured beings.   Loitering around a house active with "geist" activity.

Skeptics have the luxury of laughing at such claims- only because you haven't lived it.   Pray to God you never do.

doubt any of this?

Read The Secret History of Poltergeist and Haunted Houses by Claude LeCouteux.

increase your "geist" IQ

It has already been shown that poltergeists are ghosts. It has been shown that there is a complete lack of evidence for either. There are lots of tales and you like to avoid the evidence to latch on unsupported tales as if they were useful.

Those pushing poltergeists would like to pretend they are not ghosts to make them special. They often know so little about the subject they get the properties of ghosts dead wrong.

Paranormal researchers are often so close minded they can't get things right. They don't really investigate situations. They go there and simply give their stamp of approval.

SO what is there to defend the existence of poltergeists, aka noisy ghosts? Nothing. There are stories. There are even books written that are nothing more than collections of stories.

Then come the false analogies. Need an example? Gravity. Unlike the stories of poltergeists I can detect gravity. I can measure gravity. I can make predictions about gravity. Can the same be said about noisy ghosts? Nope. Gravity is real and poltergeists aka noisy ghosts are just stories. Many of the stories such as the Washington state stories are hoaxes.

• Like 1

It's so funny when it is claimed that the ghost shows intelligence.

I knew that the excuses would begin sooner or later. This is part of the excuse as to why no evidence is available. The laughable claim is that the ghost is too smart and quickly outwits the incompetent person trying to collect evidence.

There we go again with the lack of understanding of the word theory. The term is hypothesis.

WRONG AGAIN:   poltergeist are not ghosts. Poltergeist show intelligence. Thats one of the things that differentiates them

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, macqdor said:

an expert on the subject?   Rule #1 there are no experts on the subject.  @stereologist

I stand by opinion.Based on eye witnessed accounts.  You stand by your world view. Neither if going to convince the other, the other person is wrong.

so why are u still here?

Finally some common sense. You are quite right. You cant be an expert in something which never existed

• Like 4

so why are u still here?

Well that is your opinion which we have repeatedly seen is based on very little.

Your rule #1 is rubbish. It is not a rule. It is something you make up like that Washington state hoax.

• Like 1

WRONG AGAIN:   poltergeist are not ghosts. Poltergeist show intelligence. Thats one of the things that differentiates them

That's just your opinion which we have seen repeatedly is based on nothing.

Even your link stated that poltergeists were ghosts.

There is no intelligence being shown. That is just one of your lame excuses as to why you have no intelligence. You incorrectly think that escapes the notion of you being incompetent or a hoaxer.

Believe me it doesn't.

• Like 1

Best thing is he tried to differentiate them, but he ended up describing the exact same thing.

• Thanks 1

Finally some common sense. You are quite right. You cant be an expert in something which never existed

to you of course.  but then it again something must exist because here you are.  Do you make it a habit belonging to communities where ghosts, poltergeist, etc. Don't exist?  Fascinating.

@ThereWeAreThen

@stereologist

i forgot your allergic to reading

Author Claudue LeCouteux explains the true origin of the word and where the word ghost came from.  The word ghost associated to Poltergeist is a misnomer.

Skeptics love to cling to it as a means of supporting their argument that all ghosts "geist" included dont exists.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, macqdor said:

to you of course.  but then it again something must exist because here you are.  Do you make it a habit belonging to communities where ghosts, poltergeist, etc. Don't exist?  Fascinating.

@ThereWeAreThen

@stereologist

i forgot your allergic to reading

Author Claudue LeCouteux explains the true origin of the word and where the word ghost came from.  The word ghost associated to Poltergeist is a misnomer.

Skeptics love to cling to it as a means of supporting their argument that all ghosts "geist" included dont exists.

The first paragraph doesn't make sense at all....its just plain weird. How does me existing provide proof that the paranormal exists??? That's not how evidence works fella. Don't understand the question at the end of first paragraph. 

You're kidding me? In allergic to reading? About 3 of us now all have provided you with 3 different links proving you wrong. I...I'm lost. I don't get why it's so difficult to comprehend that a poltergeist is a ghost. 

If ghosts exists, they show intelligence. There have been accounts where they move, touch and talk to people.

Getting bored repeating myself 

• Like 1

There not ghost.

Scroll. Way up. Poltergeist have been incorrectly lumped into the ghost category.  

Angry spirit would be the proper description.  Dont get mad. Just agree to disagree. 

Saves time. Trust me.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, macqdor said:

There not ghost.

Scroll. Way up. Poltergeist have been incorrectly lumped into the ghost category.  

Angry spirit would be the proper description.  Dont get mad. Just agree to disagree. 

Saves time. Trust me.

Cant trust someone who cant read links from multiple sources. Not mad just bored. No point of being mad at someone, who I never met  because they believe in nonsense.

• Like 2

This thread has gone off in a few different directions but I will try and respond to some of the major questions raised.

I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind, but the facts are the facts. I see myself as a Fortean writer, not a paranormal investigator. My starting position on this phenomena is: this is interesting, but show me the evidence.

Was Humpty Doo a hoax? No. Why do I believe that? Well, I was there for 4 days in 1998. It’s a long story but I would suggest check out my update from last year on The Fortean. Make sure you watch the video on Brendan Gowdie’s thermal camera work at the house.

https://thefortean.com/2018/03/13/humpty-doo-poltergeist-20-years/

I would add that others share my view. Frank Robson, a two times Walkley Award winning journalist was also there, observed things happening and did an SMH Good Weekend Magazine piece that stated it was not a hoax (titled ’Humpty Boo’ - awesome!). Also Max Anderson, a freelance journalist who was there, wrote a positive piece for the Australian weekend magazine. Twenty years later they both feel the same way. There were about 30 witnesses to the events there and I don’t think anyone has changed their view over time. 

But what about the object that appeared to have been thrown by a resident that appeared on Today Tonight? Yes, that looks fake to me, but it does not explain what happened to me before that event or the dozens of other incidents that cannot be easily explained.  What about things stuck to the ceiling fans? Many of the strange incidents happened when fans were off, well outside the house or in rooms without fans. You have to explain everything to write off the case.

The best poltergeist cases ever? OK I think it was Humpty Doo, followed by another Australian case, the Pumphreys/Mayanup (WA) case from 1955-57. It’s too long to summarise here, but it is well covered in ‘The Mayanup Poltergeist’ by Helen Hack and Frank Cusack’s ‘Australian Ghost Stories’. Then Enfield, UK 1977. I was friendly with Guy Playfair - a great guy - and we talked about the case a lot. Read his book ‘This House Is Haunted’ to get the full picture.

I have written up a few of the cases I’ve investigated in Fortean Times over the years but won’t bore anyone with a list :) I

’d also recommend read through some of the poltergeist cases on my site.

Cheers, Crops

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Crops said:

But what about the object that appeared to have been thrown by a resident that appeared on Today Tonight? Yes, that looks fake to me

40 minutes ago, Crops said:

What about things stuck to the ceiling fans?

So they got video of people hoaxing but no, its not all a hoax,

do you have links to videos showing the stuff flying around? fans off etc?

where it captures the objects starting point and ending point, with more than one cam, not those clickbait type videos with 30 mins of preaching and 10 secs of carefully cropped video.

Facts are facts when evidence proves them to be, not because someone says so.

Eye witness accounts and stories do not evidence make.

Do you profit from your writings about this stuff?

19 minutes ago, the13bats said:

So they got video of people hoaxing but no, its not all a hoax,

Thats correct. Only that incident was hoaxed in my view. 

do you have links to videos showing the stuff flying around? fans off etc?

There is various video from the Today Tonight episodes. Did you read the post I linked too and see the video? 

where it captures the objects starting point and ending point, with more than one cam, not those clickbait type videos with 30 mins of preaching and 10 secs of carefully cropped video.

No. 

Facts are facts when evidence proves them to be, not because someone says so.

That doesn't really make sense but I get the gist of what you mean. Don't take my word for it - read Robsons article and Anderson's piece and the longer Chapter in 'Australian Poltergeist' If you are not informed then your opinion is of no value.

Eye witness accounts and stories do not evidence make.

Eyewitness accounts are evidence.

Do you profit from your writings about this stuff?

That's like asking are you happy to write articles and books for nothing :)

• Thanks 1

"Facts" are only facts after proven to be by evidence, not because you or anyone calls some story a fact, no, its just a story.

no, eyewitnesses are not evidence.

and you have nothing else so Bobs your uncle.

and since you gave a vauge reply to my asking if this is a "for profit" idea for you i will go away now knowing what i already figured,

one suggestion, perhaps help your buddy with spelling and punctuation next time around.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

"Facts" are only facts after proven to be by evidence, not because you or anyone calls some story a fact, no, its just a story.

no, eyewitnesses are not evidence.

and you have nothing else so Bobs your uncle.

and since you gave a vauge reply to my asking if this is a "for profit" idea for you i will go away now knowing what i already figured,

one suggestion, perhaps help your buddy with spelling and punctuation next time around.

Would you say that any skeptical writer on the subject should be ignored because he was paid for the article or book?

2 minutes ago, Crops said:

Would you say that any skeptical writer on the subject should be ignored because he was paid for the article or book?

"batty" logic throws up all sorts of anomalies.

• Haha 1

There's always a paper trail. Be it ad dollars, clickbait, or book sales. That's why this subject and others like it will never die. There's always a profit to be made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think most of the people on this site are here simply because the subject is interesting. My site gets about 30-100 people a day - no money. The books have not never made more than they cost. In my experience there is no profit here. I just thinks poltergeists are fascinating. But that's just me. And the level of discussion here has reminded me why I rarely post on these forums. People do not want to discuss - they just want to shout their opinions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crops said:

I think most of the people on this site are here simply because the subject is interesting. My site gets about 30-100 people a day - no money. The books have not never made more than they cost. In my experience there is no profit here. I just thinks poltergeists are fascinating. But that's just me. And the level of discussion here has reminded me why I rarely post on these forums. People do not want to discuss - they just want to shout their opinions. 

I don't disagree with the interest aspect of it. The subjectivness of it, psychological aspect, and how beliefs can shape individual experience. My personal issue is "Ghost/Poltergeist are Real!!!"

"Can you prove it."

"They're real because I said so, REEEEEEEE!!!"

Yeah, that annoys me. I like ghost stories, but 99.9% of them are mundane events that are exaggerated and people do fabricate events to cash in on them. That's why ghost hunting shows are profitable. 

Maybe one day there might be valid evidence to support the actual existence of the paranormal. Not holding my breath though.

As for the OP of this thread. He's always confrontational. I think 9 of his threads have been locked because of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Crops said:

You need not try to justify your paycheck to me, i made up my mind, you confirmed it and are continuing to do so...its all good.

7 minutes ago, Crops said:

okay i get it, i hit a nerve with the you in this for a profit idea, its all good you well proved that point to me, thanks.

Seems you shouted your opinions too, but i guess its okay if you do it. i get it with a book you dont have to be bothered with questions and others opinions, you get full spotlight on you and only opinions allowed are yours.

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

"batty" logic throws up all sorts of anomalies.

Ooh dear our resident attention junkie is feeling left out can someone please acknowledge habbie hes feeling all ignored lonely.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked