Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man builds his own miniature steam railway

Still Waters

It's full steam ahead for chuffed Steve Bates on the magnificent miniature steam railway he has built around his home.

The 70-year-old enthusiast has laid nearly 330 yards of track in his back and front gardens – and even through his garage – over three years at a cost of £30,000.

His green steam locomotive, named Norman, could pull up to 20 passengers if he had enough carriages, said Mr Bates, who also has two electric engines that he can drive around the track.

And despite the verdant location, he never has complaints about ‘the wrong type of leaves on the line’. In fact, he regularly uses his trains ‘like a wheelbarrow’ while gardening.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7316111/Train-fan-builds-30-000-railway-track-gardens.html

£30,000 = 36,477.03 USD (via Google)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is so gorgeous!  Good on him for building something he's obviously got a true passion for.  I loved the way he called his little green steam engine Norman.  I can't remember the names of all of the engines in that kids tv show, but it reminded me of Thomas the Tank Engine but a real life version.  How the neighbourhood kids must love going around to their place :lol:

@Still Waters thanks so much for posting this, it's brought a big grin to my face.  It's so refreshing to see a piece of news that's not hurting anyone else, inciting violence, no politics or dramatics. 

This article is just pure happiness all round!:wub::D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised it didn't all cost a lot more.

• Like 2

It's beautiful and since he actually uses the train it was totally worth it.

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

I'm surprised it didn't all cost a lot more.

There are some offers for those train setups I've seen in my country which are less expensive than iron used to produce them :D They might need paint job but that's it.

Like that thingy for children which can be installed in parks. From my perspective he overspent by far :)

• Like 1

What is the gauge ?

• Like 1

Standard track width sizes for miniature rideable trains in the UK are reportedly 5 inches and 7 1/2 inches. Judging by the pictures in the article, this could be the latter.

There is a miniature train in my town with a 15 inch gauge, which is said to approximate 1/4 scale of the standard railroad gauge of 4 feet 8 1/2 inches. That would make Mr. Bates' railway about 1/8 scale. 

Edited by bison
  • Like 1