Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon is testing mass surveillance balloon

UM-Bot

Big Brother. 

• Like 2

Wow 65,000ft? So they're basically very cheap satellites that don't circle the earth. Wonder how many miles they can see from up there. Maybe 25 balloons can see an entire state?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If thy want to watch me drive to Walmart they have my permission. No big deal. They already can track all the new cars with their GPS systems and built-in cell phones connectors.

The military will benefit from this sort of tech. Day or night it will allow the troops on the ground to know the displacement and movements of the enemy. They were using ballons this way in the Civil War. It isn't a new idea.

Edited by DanL
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DanL said:

If thy want to watch me drive to Walmart they have my permission. No big deal. They already can track all the new cars with their GPS systems and built-in cell phones connectors.

The military will benefit from this sort of tech. Day or night it will allow the troops on the ground to know the displacement and movements of the enemy. They were using ballons this way in the Civil War. It isn't a new idea.

There are all sorts of legal entanglements this can lead to.  One could be falsely accused just because their vehicle or phone was tracked while they couldn't prove they'd lost it.  Every bit of freedom we lose to a government is freedom we will never have back without bloodshed.  In case you hadn't noticed - people are no DAMNED GOOD. Putting them in charge of deciding whether your actions are acceptable is a good way to find yourself broke and imprisoned on the whim of someone who isn't even as trustworthy as yourself.

• Like 1

Strange that they are not tethered or motorized. Going with the wind is a bit hazardous with high tech surveillance system...

4 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Strange that they are not tethered or motorized. Going with the wind is a bit hazardous with high tech surveillance system...

Let me help you with this:

What's the wind speed at 65,000 feet?

Not much at all, which is why they float that high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pallidin said:

Let me help you with this:

What's the wind speed at 65,000 feet?

Not much at all, which is why they float that high.

yep ! true ! Big drop around 65000ft (20 000m) !

Average wind speeds in m/s vs. altitude in km. On an average, wind speeds are minimum in the lower stratosphere, around 20 km altitude. Air density at 20 km is roughly 1/20 that at sea level.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Excellent graph!

• Like 1