Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

gyroscope setup for amateurs

trevor borocz johnson

Here is my first gyroscope setup that has produced sound. I used a spring on the bottom of the gyroscope as a sensor. The top of the gyroscope act as the folcrom to the lever and sticks out between two metal yardsticks as seen in the second picture. The yardsticks create the lever. The right side is held down by a spaceheater which is important. Two slinky's with elastic balls in them a drooped over the long end of the lever and the speakers are pressed up against them. In the first picture a larger spring with an elastic ball is placed over a smaller spring that is attached directly to the gyroscope. The larger spring amplifies the sound coming from the smaller spring. 

If you play white noise loudly through this setup and move the larger spring with the elastic ball on top around, you can here the white noise hiss coming from the gyroscope get louder and quieter. The noise coming from the spring on top the gyroscope is quieter then the speakers and mixes with it perfectly, but I still here music if you point your ear correctly at the gyroscope, it's faint, but plays in your vestibular.

So what's the point? You're pumping sound waves through a bunch of materials prone to vibrate under tension - no surprise that the whole mess vibrates in resonance.

This proves what, exactly?

The gyroscope seems to suck in all the elasticity from the metal slinky's and the ruler's, moving your ear up and down the ruler's while the gyroscope spins it will seem like the sound comes only from the gyroscope. Holding one of the larger spring's up to your temple in the prescence of the setup and while playing loud white noise mixed with quiet music creates such a loud buzz in the vestibular it feels a bit louder then the sound itself. 

Here is a better working setup for the gyroscope. The gyroscope has a spring on the bottom that barely touches the metal yardsticks below. It mainly rests on the yellow plastic slinky. The folcrom of the lever is a spring and the heavy end is a large house fan. The small spring ontop the gyroscope acts as a speaker. The slinky hanging down on the metal yard sticks is where I point the speakers,  I don't why but it works well. This setup is definitely louder then the OP.

Is this the same space heater that your cats talks through?

• Haha 1

While that is a thing you built... it's not a gyroscope. How is that thing you built supposed to help determine orientation using Earths gravity?

2 hours ago, rashore said:

While that is a thing you built... it's not a gyroscope. How is that thing you built supposed to help determine orientation using Earths gravity?

It is a setup for converting sound waves into gyroscope waves. I haven's figured out how to amplify those waves louder then the sound waves coming from the speakers, but it is still audible if you fine tune this setup.

1 minute ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

It is a setup for converting sound waves into gyroscope waves. I haven's figured out how to amplify those waves louder then the sound waves coming from the speakers, but it is still audible if you fine tune this setup.

So you're trying to use the kinetic energy of sound waves to move a gyroscope? If so, why? 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So you're trying to use the kinetic energy of sound waves to move a gyroscope? If so, why? 

Sort of an incline to invent, after I read that a gyroscope can be made into a mic/speaker, to make a such a device mechanically with a spinning toy gyroscope. 

4 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Sort of an incline to invent, after I read that a gyroscope can be made into a mic/speaker, to make a such a device mechanically with a spinning toy gyroscope. 

Well, I'll at least give you credit for experimenting. Which more than most people do. Good luck.

here's another setup. This one has two gyroscope's both with attached springs on top and bottom. Having them sitck out of and attached by two metal yard sticks gives them a small 3d platform on top that moves them around accordingly.

This setup works best so far. I have the microphone gyro on the left balanced inside a yellow slinky. The folcrom to the lever is far up towards the mic. The speaker gyro is on the left and balances on springs between the lever and the floor. Spinning the mic gyro hard and spinning the speaker gyro slightly seems to create the music often.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:11 AM, Rlyeh said:

Is this the same space heater that your cats talks through?

Here she is chilling by my setup and rockin' out to Nirvana. She's deaf I think so she probably hear's the gyro better then anyone else.

I still don't understand WTF this is supposed to be demonstrating. The speakers make the gyroscope start spinning? Or sound comes from the already spinning gyroscope? Or you're trying to claim the already spinning gyroscope is amplifying the sound you pump into it? IDKWTF the point is.

Edited by moonman

3 minutes ago, moonman said:

I still don't understand WTF this is supposed to be demonstrating. The speakers make the gyroscope start spinning?

well I read this https://crypto.stanford.edu/gyrophone/files/gyromic.pdf   and since then have been trying to create a sort of tin can telephone for the gyroscope. Since the gyro is mechanical I ve been thinking along the lines of weight scales, like a balance or a spring scale. If you put a spring on each side of the gyro, up, down, left, right, front, and the other side of the gyroscope not the side that is facing you, and then put it in a box, when you move the box pressure will be placed on the opposing side of the movement, the spring can then give a manual readout of what direction you are moving in, but it has been most difficult for me to get one gyrosopce to send a signal to another. right now instead of trying to attach them with wire like before I'm using a metal yardstick as an attachment between them. All my setups have been working just a little but a lot of the time produce no sound at all.  

That paper just talks about electronic gyroscopes in cellphones and how they can be used to pick up rough speech vibrations from the phone, possibly to be used by malicious apps since apps do not need your approval to use sensors like they do microphones and cameras. It's not so much a science paper as it is a warning. There's no practical application for it other than phones or other devices with electronic gyros.

You do know an electronic gyroscope and they ones you have are nothing alike, right? What you are doing has nothing to do with what the paper discusses.

Edited by moonman

3 minutes ago, moonman said:

That paper just talks about electronic gyroscopes in cellphones and how they can be used to pick up speech vibrations from the phone, possibly to be used maliciously. It's not so much a science paper as it is a warning.

You do know an electronic gyroscope and they ones you have are nothing alike, right?

how are they nor alike?

12 minutes ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

how are they nor alike?

Read the article. For one, they are not constructed the same. One runs on electricity, the other momentum.

A microscopic gyro is going to be sensitive, unlike that big clunky toy you have. A microscopic electronic one is built for sending electronic signals, unlike yours. They aren't getting the electronic gyro to MAKE noise, it is used as a mic.

There's simply no point in what you are trying to do, but honestly I'm still not sure WTF it is supposed to be demonstrating.

Edited by moonman

7 minutes ago, moonman said:

Read the article. For one, they are not constructed the same. One runs on electricity, the other momentum.

Yeah Moonie I already told you that I was using springs and levers and slinky's to create my gyrophone not electronic device's. I'm done with you. BTW they use quartz in those cellphone gyro's because it vibrates, piezoelectric.

OK, have fun accomplishing nothing. Just do the rest of us a favor and stop calling it "science", k?

Edited by moonman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moonman said:

OK, have fun accomplishing nothing. Just do the rest of us a favor and stop calling it "science", k?

drink too much cranberry juice today moonie? 

14 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

Here she is chilling by my setup and rockin' out to Nirvana. She's deaf I think so she probably hear's the gyro better then anyone else.

The same cat the you experimented with by blowing a fan into it's ears?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The same cat the you experimented with by blowing a fan into it's ears?

that's her. Lucifer Sam Siam cat. little possiuerno's