Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness skipper captures 25ft image on sonar

Still Waters

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I'm similarly thought, "but"...  And I have my reservations because of what I already stated in an earlier post that no one had comment on.

If you use the meters scale on the side of the sonar screen, that long mass seems to be 20 meters or 65 feet long. Skipper says "10 to 25 feet" 

So begets the question, do known fish in the loch have schools of such size?

I'm not certain about the fish native to the loch. One thing I am certain of is, that it isn't a plesiosaur.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

I'm not certain about the fish native to the loch. One thing I am certain of is, that it isn't a plesiosaur.

well its some kind of Unidentified submerged object. 

Edited by Captain Risky

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

well its some kind of Unidentified submerged object. 

Such as a school of fish

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Such as a school of fish

Yes, i might also be a school of fish. 

1 minute ago, Trelane said:

But definitely not a plesiosaur.

How can you be so sure?

Just now, Trelane said:

That's an easy one. They've been extinct for millions of years.

Okay I'm leaning towards the same fact. But is it possible that maybe a colony can still be surviving in the North Sea, one that has evolved, using Scottish lochs as breeding/birthing grounds?

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Okay I'm leaning towards the same fact. But is it possible that maybe a colony can still be surviving in the North Sea, one that has evolved, using Scottish lochs as breeding/birthing grounds?

The possibility is so abstract that I don't entertain it. Where else has there been any conjecture of plesiosaur existence beyond the Nessie mania?

6 minutes ago, Trelane said:

The possibility is so abstract that I don't entertain it. Where else has there been any conjecture of plesiosaur existence beyond the Nessie mania?

There are constant stories of sea creatures resembling Nessie in open oceans. But you're right without hard proof its hard to give such a theory any validity. 

• Like 1

There's a possibility all be it a very rare possibility that it could be a sturgeon although it would be a tad bigger than the one I caught(in a catfish carp and sturgeon/sturlet lake) he weighed about 6lb  

9 hours ago, Trelane said:

Many lakes. No oceans. There must be 6 or 7 lakes that have a creature similar to Nessie, like Champ in lake Champlain. But no ocean traveler ever saw one, that I know of anyway.

9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

The entrance to Loch Ness (strictly speaking, the Caledonian Canal) is controlled by locks. 

Pleaosaurs are unlikely to have lock passes ! 

• Haha 3

Pleaosaurs is supposed to have been an ocean dwelling creature. Surely if it is still around, somewhere in this world, some fisherman would have pulled a dead one up in a net. We don't see that. 

Here's a neat vid of a tourist boat with passengers and people videoing something huge swimming by in the water. Hard for me to imagine it being faked due to the number of witnesses. But I suppose anything is possible. Video 1:23  The object swimming looks real as it gets - to me.

12 hours ago, Trelane said:

There was supposedly a sighting off of Vancouver island.

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Pleaosaurs is supposed to have been an ocean dwelling creature. Surely if it is still around, somewhere in this world, some fisherman would have pulled a dead one up in a net. We don't see that. 

Here's a neat vid of a tourist boat with passengers and people videoing something huge swimming by in the water. Hard for me to imagine it being faked due to the number of witnesses. But I suppose anything is possible. Video 1:23  The object swimming looks real as it gets - to me.

OMG this is so obviously a fake.

Here is what is in the comments from that video.

this was a mockumentary made about nessie in the early 2000's. I remember renting it from a local video store in cape Canaveral Florida it was very well done though.

and

Yes, it's Werner Herzog (more notable as a director). This is from the movie 'Incident at Loch Ness'. A mockumentary about an expedition to Loch Ness.

Here is the IMDB entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Loch_Ness

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

The entrance to Loch Ness (strictly speaking, the Caledonian Canal) is controlled by locks. 

Pleaosaurs are unlikely to have lock passes ! 

I don’t know, free Willy didnt have a problem going over barriers.

Edited by Captain Risky

Not the best example and maybe this is what I was thinking about.

https://www.livescience.com/5747-cammy-canadian-lake-monster.html

as with all such unknown animals, there is little consensus on what they might be: perhaps a known fish, a decidedly un-extinct dinosaur-like plesiosaur, or eyewitnesses' mistaken perceptions.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Ah yes... but he'd had special training ! Anyway, that wasn't him. They used a stunt double ! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

ooh cool, we need video of nessie flying out of the water over a barrier...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

ooh cool, we need video of nessie flying out of the water over a barrier...

I'd pay good money to see that at Marineland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, woopypooky said:

is the sonar reading taped? Can anyone else check the result?

Professional sonar systems might have a recording facility, but I believe this was just a simple fish-finder ? So I doubt it.