Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness skipper captures 25ft image on sonar

Still Waters

4 hours ago, Big Jim said:

True, but they had been looking for fish for centuries.  Every day they would haul in nets full of all kinds of fish.  The suddenly...  It just goes to show how elusive nature can be.  Several years ago a rare woodpecker that was thought to be extinct was sighted in Arkansas, I believe.  Nobody had seen one for decades, then one day...  Now imagine how many birdwatchers there are in Arkansas (or was it Missouri?)  Obviously there had to be more than one, and most likely more than one mating pair to continue for all those years, but no one had seen one.  My bet is always with nature.  

I think you’re referring to alleged sightings of the ivory-billed woodpecker, which were never scientifically confirmed. As you mentioned, having a sustainable breeding population would mean these birds should be far more visible if they were still extant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I get your point.  I was only trying to illustrate that just because we're not aware of something doesn't mean it's not there.  

yes of course but the way nature works there would be many of them, not just one or a few & there existence would have been known as fact years ago... isn't this just basic logic?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dejarma said:

yes of course but the way nature works there would be many of them, not just one or a few & there existence would have been known as fact years ago... isn't this just basic logic?

Nature and our knowledge of it doesn't always follow the rules of logic.  I'm not arguing for or against the existence of Nessie, just saying that our ignorance of something doesn't prove that it doesn't exist.  Just being logical.

2 hours ago, Big Jim said:

Nature and our knowledge of it doesn't always follow the rules of logic.

give me an example of something in nature you feel is not logical

7 hours ago, Dejarma said:

give me an example of something in nature you feel is not logical

All of it.  The grass does not grow, nor does the wind blow, because it is logical to do so.  Logic is a man made tool to help us make sense of the universe we live in.  Nature knows nothing of it.  Is a grasshopper logical?  Does its existence make sense?  We strive to claim so, but the words are all ours.  Aside from man, creatures do not do things because they are logical.  They have no need to make sense of their world.  They just are.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

All of it.  The grass does not grow, nor does the wind blow, because it is logical to do so.  Logic is a man made tool to help us make sense of the universe we live in.  Nature knows nothing of it.  Is a grasshopper logical?  Does its existence make sense?  We strive to claim so, but the words are all ours.  Aside from man, creatures do not do things because they are logical.  They have no need to make sense of their world.  They just are.

oh ok then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, Big Jim said:

True, but they had been looking for fish for centuries.  Every day they would haul in nets full of all kinds of fish.  The suddenly...  It just goes to show how elusive nature can be.  Several years ago a rare woodpecker that was thought to be extinct was sighted in Arkansas, I believe.  Nobody had seen one for decades, then one day...  Now imagine how many birdwatchers there are in Arkansas (or was it Missouri?)  Obviously there had to be more than one, and most likely more than one mating pair to continue for all those years, but no one had seen one.  My bet is always with nature.  

Although the reports of ivory billed woodpeckers have not been substantiated there have been cases of finding birds in the foothills of the Himalayas that had not been seen for 50 plus years.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/nepals-extinct-bird-rediscovered-in-chitwan/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34152254/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/extinct-species-found-alive-kicking/#.XWa22uhKg_w

The problem is that these birds are known and were known to exist. The ivory billed is not known to be extant. Nessie has not been found under the water despite many sonar scans. The current scan is low resolution like a blurry UFO photo or a blobsquatch photo.  

The recent eDNA study wasn't looking for Nessie. That was added for some fun publicity. The following link simply states that the results have not been published.

https://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2019/01/loch-ness-edna-results-delayed.html

A little later we have this entry:

https://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2019/05/loch-ness-edna-results-to-be-published.html

Professor Gemmell said he hoped to announce the full findings of the study at a press conference in Scotland in July, but the date may yet be pushed back until September. “Is there anything deeply mysterious? Hmm. It depends what you believe,” he said. “Is there anything startling? There are a few things that are a bit surprising. “What we’ll have achieved is what we set out to do, which is document the biodiversity of Loch Ness in June 2018 is some level of detail.

“We’ve tested each one of the main monster hypotheses, and three of them we can probably say aren’t right and one of them might be. “We’ll never disprove that there’s a monster, as we said at the beginning. If we find no evidence of the monster, that doesn’t prove anything. All we can do is describe what we’ve found.” Professor Gemmell also admitted that part of the reason for the delay in the publication of the results was due to a series of failed attempts to film a television documentary. He and his team had hoped to use any money generated from the project to fund further research, but negotiations with a series of production companies ended without a deal.

Apparently, science took a back seat to generating money for further research.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here after the Loch Ness DNA Reveal, which means Nessie is probably a massive eel (which makes me scared, imagine a huge eel floating around the loch)

I reckon this sonar reading is important because we now know how massive the eel in the loch is - a staggering 25 feet long...

Those are my thoughts on this

Cheers

Edited by BuriedMonkie

There are tales of massive eels.

I am wondering where the existence of eels has been altered to be massive eels.

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

There are tales of massive eels.

I am wondering where the existence of eels has been altered to be massive eels.

Well, they can grow rather big. I wouldnt be surpised if some of the sightings were a group of eels surfacing the lake.

16 hours ago, Ultimatium said:

Well, they can grow rather big. I wouldnt be surpised if some of the sightings were a group of eels surfacing the lake.

A school of gar has been proposed for some of the Champ sightings in Lake Champlain

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

25ft long thats nearly one and four fiths as long as a vee dub beetle ......your welcome.

• Haha 1