Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Loch Ness skipper captures 25ft image on sonar

114 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Trelane
1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I'm similarly thought, "but"...  And I have my reservations because of what I already stated in an earlier post that no one had comment on.

If you use the meters scale on the side of the sonar screen, that long mass seems to be 20 meters or 65 feet long. Skipper says "10 to 25 feet" 

So begets the question, do known fish in the loch have schools of such size?

I'm not certain about the fish native to the loch. One thing I am certain of is, that it isn't a plesiosaur.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trelane said:

I'm not certain about the fish native to the loch. One thing I am certain of is, that it isn't a plesiosaur.

well its some kind of Unidentified submerged object. 

Edited by Captain Risky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

well its some kind of Unidentified submerged object. 

Such as a school of fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Such as a school of fish

Yes, i might also be a school of fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trelane
8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

well its some kind of Unidentified submerged object. 

But definitely not a plesiosaur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
1 minute ago, Trelane said:

But definitely not a plesiosaur.

How can you be so sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trelane
1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

How can you be so sure?

That's an easy one. They've been extinct for millions of years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
Just now, Trelane said:

That's an easy one. They've been extinct for millions of years.

Okay I'm leaning towards the same fact. But is it possible that maybe a colony can still be surviving in the North Sea, one that has evolved, using Scottish lochs as breeding/birthing grounds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trelane
1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Okay I'm leaning towards the same fact. But is it possible that maybe a colony can still be surviving in the North Sea, one that has evolved, using Scottish lochs as breeding/birthing grounds?

The possibility is so abstract that I don't entertain it. Where else has there been any conjecture of plesiosaur existence beyond the Nessie mania?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
6 minutes ago, Trelane said:

The possibility is so abstract that I don't entertain it. Where else has there been any conjecture of plesiosaur existence beyond the Nessie mania?

There are constant stories of sea creatures resembling Nessie in open oceans. But you're right without hard proof its hard to give such a theory any validity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt221

There's a possibility all be it a very rare possibility that it could be a sturgeon although it would be a tad bigger than the one I caught(in a catfish carp and sturgeon/sturlet lake) he weighed about 6lb  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
9 hours ago, Trelane said:

The possibility is so abstract that I don't entertain it. Where else has there been any conjecture of plesiosaur existence beyond the Nessie mania?

Many lakes. No oceans. There must be 6 or 7 lakes that have a creature similar to Nessie, like Champ in lake Champlain. But no ocean traveler ever saw one, that I know of anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
9 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Okay I'm leaning towards the same fact. But is it possible that maybe a colony can still be surviving in the North Sea, one that has evolved, using Scottish lochs as breeding/birthing grounds?

The entrance to Loch Ness (strictly speaking, the Caledonian Canal) is controlled by locks. 

Pleaosaurs are unlikely to have lock passes ! 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps

Pleaosaurs is supposed to have been an ocean dwelling creature. Surely if it is still around, somewhere in this world, some fisherman would have pulled a dead one up in a net. We don't see that. 

Here's a neat vid of a tourist boat with passengers and people videoing something huge swimming by in the water. Hard for me to imagine it being faked due to the number of witnesses. But I suppose anything is possible. Video 1:23  The object swimming looks real as it gets - to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
12 hours ago, Trelane said:

The possibility is so abstract that I don't entertain it. Where else has there been any conjecture of plesiosaur existence beyond the Nessie mania?

There was supposedly a sighting off of Vancouver island.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Pleaosaurs is supposed to have been an ocean dwelling creature. Surely if it is still around, somewhere in this world, some fisherman would have pulled a dead one up in a net. We don't see that. 

Here's a neat vid of a tourist boat with passengers and people videoing something huge swimming by in the water. Hard for me to imagine it being faked due to the number of witnesses. But I suppose anything is possible. Video 1:23  The object swimming looks real as it gets - to me.

 

OMG this is so obviously a fake.

 

Here is what is in the comments from that video.

Quote
this was a mockumentary made about nessie in the early 2000's. I remember renting it from a local video store in cape Canaveral Florida it was very well done though.

 

and

Quote
Yes, it's Werner Herzog (more notable as a director). This is from the movie 'Incident at Loch Ness'. A mockumentary about an expedition to Loch Ness.

 

Here is the IMDB entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Loch_Ness

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Caesar
51 minutes ago, stereologist said:

There was supposedly a sighting off of Vancouver island.

 

Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

The entrance to Loch Ness (strictly speaking, the Caledonian Canal) is controlled by locks. 

Pleaosaurs are unlikely to have lock passes ! 

I don’t know, free Willy didnt have a problem going over barriers.

Edited by Captain Risky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
1 hour ago, Don Caesar said:

Link?

Dang. I looked too. I read it here at U-M. I'll look some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist

Not the best example and maybe this is what I was thinking about.

https://www.livescience.com/5747-cammy-canadian-lake-monster.html

Quote

as with all such unknown animals, there is little consensus on what they might be: perhaps a known fish, a decidedly un-extinct dinosaur-like plesiosaur, or eyewitnesses' mistaken perceptions.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
12 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I don’t know, free Willy didnt have a problem going over barriers.

Ah yes... but he'd had special training ! Anyway, that wasn't him. They used a stunt double ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
13 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I don’t know, free Willy didnt have a problem going over barriers.

ooh cool, we need video of nessie flying out of the water over a barrier...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Caesar
1 hour ago, the13bats said:

ooh cool, we need video of nessie flying out of the water over a barrier...

I'd pay good money to see that at Marineland.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
woopypooky

is the sonar reading taped? Can anyone else check the result?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
16 minutes ago, woopypooky said:

is the sonar reading taped? Can anyone else check the result?

Professional sonar systems might have a recording facility, but I believe this was just a simple fish-finder ? So I doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.