Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy, 6, thrown from 10th floor of London Tate

Still Waters

12 minutes ago, Setton said:

Norway also has ~10x less crime in the first place... Not custodial sentences - crime. 

20% is not dramatically lower than 75%? Or 50% using your (unsourced) figure?

Recidivism rate has nothing to do with the number of convictions, jail sentences or anything else. It's simply the rate at which those who have been convincted of a crime go on to commit further crimes. 

You cannot let most criminal offenders off and then claim because you have then they haven't reoffended.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update:

Tate Modern attacker should remain in secure hospital, court hears

The teenager who threw a six-year-old child off a viewing platform at Tate Modern in London should be detained in a secure hospital rather than sent to prison, a psychiatrist has recommended.

Giving evidence at a sentencing hearing at the Old Bailey, Dr Joanna Dow, a consultant forensic psychiatrist who works at Broadmoor hospital, said it was “hard to envisage” that Jonty Bravery could ever be released into the community.

The judge, Mrs Justice McGowan, said she will not deliver the sentence until Friday morning. “It is obviously not a straightforward case,” she explained.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/25/tate-modern-attacker-jonty-bravery-should-be-kept-in-secure-hospital-court-hears

Tate Modern balcony teen 'smiled' after attack

A teenager "smiled and shrugged" after throwing a six-year-old from a 10th floor balcony at the Tate Modern, a court heard.

Jonty Bravery, 18, searched for the most vulnerable child at the London art gallery before "scooping up" the boy, the Old Bailey was told.

Prosecutors said the defendant, who admits attempted murder, had planned an attack well in advance.

A judge will pass sentence on Friday after hearing psychiatric reports.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53177998

On 8/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, Emma_Acid said:

Yeah because executions are proven to work :rolleyes:

I see this argument often and it never ceases to amaze me.  Taking the life of a criminal that callously kills a child or an elder or any vulnerable person, isn't ABOUT sending a message to others.  It's about punishment for an act of evil.  The killer will never kill again and that is enough.

2 hours ago, and then said:

I see this argument often and it never ceases to amaze me.  Taking the life of a criminal that callously kills a child or an elder or any vulnerable person, isn't ABOUT sending a message to others.  It's about punishment for an act of evil.  The killer will never kill again and that is enough.

Or you can lock them up and they can also never kill again.

Which has the added benefits of being reversible when you do get the wrong person and is arguably a worse punishment than a quick death.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:05 PM, and then said:

Sorry, but I could never support a state system that levels that type of violence against its population. It's utterly barbaric, and like it or not it does send a message to others - that taking a life is a justifiable act.

I mean never mind the whole "executing people with mental illnesses" or miscarriages of justice. Makes me angry just thinking about it.

Edited by Emma_Acid

This jail bird obviously has more going on than just autism.

Laughing and shrugging after throwing a kid off the 10th floor sounds like psychopathy to me. A few nuts and bolts are obviously missing in his head. I hope he gets detained at her Majesty`s Pleasure for the rest of his life be it in ordinary prison or in a secure unit like Broadmoor.

I`m all for the death penalty when someone is totally bonkers to the point where they try to murder (or succeed in murdering). Revenge does bring comfort to the families, friends, and victims. Punishment is a good thing. And for those who disagree then a 20p bullet is far cheaper than the £5000 per week to keep them locked up for the rest of their lives.

Prison in the UK is like being on holiday where you cannot go out. They feed and clothe you, keep you warm and give you lighting, give you healthcare and dental treatment, let you have access to an exercise yard and gym equipment, let you have a movie night once a week, give you a kettle for your room, allow access to an onsite sweet shop, along with giving you televisions and games consoles to entertain you with. Whats that about?

It should be a 4ft by 4ft cell, an hour in a cage outside for exercise everyday (yes, keep animals in cages), a tracksuit, some fruit along with bread and water, and thats it for lessor offences. More serious offences should be the death penalty. The victim, friends and family, should get first digs. If they dont want it then a 20p bullet to the brain.

For horrendous crimes we should have cruel and unusual punishments. I`m thinking back to the Middle Ages with them being hung, drawn, and quartered.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since anything was posted in this thread, but I've found an update today and thought I'd share.

Tate Modern fall: Boy thrown from balcony 'defying doctors' predictions'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61614842

https://news.sky.com/story/french-boy-thrown-from-tate-modern-in-london-showing-huge-improvements-family-says-12623613

It's good to know the boy is recovering well. It's been a very long haul for him and his family, and it sounds like he still has a way to go yet. Good luck to him, he's amazing I think.

• Like 2

Sending him the best of wishes for his recovery.

• Like 2