Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Shroud of Turin study casts doubt

Still Waters

On 8/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, highdesert50 said:

The Shroud lingers as a 'Canticle for Leibowitz.' Perhaps best to preserve it until the world is fully capable of properly analyzing it and dealing with the consequences.

What consequences would that be in your mind?

On 8/23/2019 at 6:04 PM, Piney said:

Semitic people look nothing like Indo-Iranians nor do they have the same genetics. Iranians came from the same PIE people Europeans did and originally were fair.

The Shroud doesn't look at all like a Semite. It looks like a Northern European. 

Thank you for using the correct words.  I have learned that to some people (in the east coast U.S.) the term "Jewish" is a derogatory word, much like "honkey".

• Like 1

"When the apostles refused to believe the report of the five women who represented that they had seen Jesus and talked with him, Mary Magdalene returned to the tomb, and the others went back to Joseph’s house, where they related their experiences to his daughter and the other women. And the women believed their report. Shortly after six o’clock the daughter of Joseph of Arimathea and the four women who had seen Jesus went over to the home of Nicodemus, where they related all these happenings to Joseph, Nicodemus, David Zebedee, and the other men there assembled. Nicodemus and the others doubted their story, doubted that Jesus had risen from the dead; they conjectured that the Jews had removed the body. Joseph and David were disposed to believe the report, so much so that they hurried out to inspect the tomb, and they found everything just as the women had described. And they were the last to so view the sepulchre, for the high priest sent the captain of the temple guards to the tomb at half past seven o’clock to remove the grave cloths. The captain wrapped them all up in the linen sheet and threw them over a near-by cliff.

Edited by Will Due

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Thank you for using the correct words.  I have learned that to some people (in the east coast U.S.) the term "Jewish" is a derogatory word, much like "honkey".

I know a lot of Delaware Valley and Central New Jersey Jews and they don't have a problem with "Jewish".

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I know a lot of Delaware Valley and Central New Jersey Jews and they don't have a problem with "Jewish".

That isn't what I meant, I  meant people use that term against others, but I have no experience with how an actual person practicing that religion feels about.  

• Thanks 2

On 8/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, esoteric_toad said:

The face on the shroud would require that whoever or whatever was wrapped in the shroud would have to have a flat face like a minecraft character. 

The image is not distorted as it would be if it was wrapped around a body. The attached image is an example of how the image should be shaped if it were wrapped around the body.

4-Figure1-1.png

The cloth was long and narrow and went up the body and over the head and back down the body.  It wasn’t wrapped around the body side to side.  That’s my understanding of it, anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 2:04 AM, Piney said:

Semitic people look nothing like Indo-Iranians nor do they have the same genetics. Iranians came from the same PIE people Europeans did and originally were fair.

The Shroud doesn't look at all like a Semite. It looks like a Northern European. 

Can't say he looked like a Sven or a Björn:

240px-Artistic_impression_of_the_man_in_the_Turin_Shroud.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Can't say he looked like a Sven or a Björn:

He looks like a Frank or Lombard. 

• Haha 3

You know, show me what 'a Semite' looks like.

Pictures from Nazi times are not allowed.

Edited by Abramelin

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

You know, show me what 'a Semite' looks like.

Pictures from Nazi times are not allowed.

Palestinians and Lebanese. 

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Palestinians and Lebanese. 

Pictures.

Many seem to forget a lot of 'gene mixing' occured during Roman times.

There were Greeks, Romans, and may the gods know who present in Israel/Palestine during that time.

There is even a source (Celsus?) who claimed Jesus was the son of a Roman soldier. Panthera was his surname.

• Thanks 2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_(Jesus's_father)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiberius_Julius_Abdes_Pantera

He must have been a great lover; Mary called him an 'angel'.

Well, either she told her family she was 'visited' by an angel, or she confessed she had sex with/got raped by a Roman soldier, and be stoned to death.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

There is even a source (Celsus?) who claimed Jesus was the son of a Roman soldier. Panthera was his surname.

Who was said to be Sarmatian Laeti. Who would have brown hair and hazel eyes.

The only historic Jesus the prophet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_ben_Ananias

• Like 1

This is reported in....wait for it...The National Catholic Register. That makes me think it might be connected to the Church that is still reporting miracles and performing exorcisms about 500 years after the rest of the world discovered science.

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ted hughes said:

This is, I believe, an accurate representation of Jesus, which would be a pretty good fit for the shroud image:

5b5035b8dacb433d59644dca-large.jpg

It somewhat resembles the Shroud image, but probably not Jesus. Jesus would have looked more like Cat Stevens than Kirk Douglas.

See the source imageSee the source image

Edited by Hammerclaw

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

The face of the shroud is ... Cesare Borgia's??

That is a serious possibility. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, Abramelin said:

Many seem to forget a lot of 'gene mixing' occured during Roman times.

There were Greeks, Romans, and may the gods know who present in Israel/Palestine during that time.

Not to mention that the eastern european Jews were given what is now called Israel after WW2.   

On 8/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, third_eye said:

The Turin Shroud JC doesn't look Jewish at all... funny that... 

~

So we have criticized the 1988 study, but failed to conduct one of our own.  The 13th century date is still the best one available.

If the figure in the shroud does not look Jewish, it may be because it is Jacques DeMolay.  The shroud's provinence goes back to DeMolay's grandson who claimed it was an altar cloth used by the Knights Templar.  DeMolay was tortured in an imitation of Jesus' torture and placed on the altar cloth before being burned at the stake.

The shroud is, thus, not a deliberate forgery, and an accidental one.

Doug

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

The shroud is, thus, not a deliberate forgery, and an accidental one.

Doug

Nice to know, did you get me a postcard from Hastings? 

~