Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rocket launcher handed in during gun surrender

Still Waters

A rocket launcher has been handed in to police during a two-week gun surrender.

The weapon, handed in to officers in Lymington, Hampshire, was among dozens of firearms left at police stations across the county.

The force said 31 handguns, 12 shotguns, 24 rifles, a deactivated machine gun and ammunition were handed in between 20 July and 4 August.

Two starting cannons from a sailing club and Tasers were also surrendered.

The force said no further information about the person who handed in the rocket launcher would be provided.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-49247301

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• The title was changed to Rocket launcher handed in during gun surrender

Ye GODS.. what do they get UP to in Hampshire ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Tasers?  Why were tasers handed in?

• Like 2

because media there did a great job convincing people if they surrender THEIR guns, crime will drop, i'm surprised they do not surrender kitchen knives and walking sticks, and forks

oh and BTW that looks like an empty tube, harmless piece of metal now,   \\

also apparently no questions asked is a lie too, they are looking into who brought the tube, apparently they want to prosecute him\her for bringing it, contrary to their claim of not doing so. can't trust gvmnt in anything

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A rocket launcher has been handed in to police during a two-week gun surrender.

The weapon, handed in to officers in Lymington, Hampshire, was among dozens of firearms left at police stations across the county.

The force said 31 handguns, 12 shotguns, 24 rifles, a deactivated machine gun and ammunition were handed in between 20 July and 4 August.

Two starting cannons from a sailing club and Tasers were also surrendered.

The force said no further information about the person who handed in the rocket launcher would be provided.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-49247301

The thing is people might have had them for 40 years.

So as firearms laws change people dont give up what they have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Tasers?  Why were tasers handed in?

Because in England tasers are classified as a firearm and you are not really allowed to defend yourself there.  If they hit you, you are not allowed to hit them back harder.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because in England tasers are classified as a firearm and you are not really allowed to defend yourself there.  If they hit you, you are not allowed to hit them back harder.

You are only allowed to use reasonable defence.

And not using an illegal weapon either. The prominent cases we have had of someone getting locked up include that guy who used his shotgun killing a burglar. Unfortunately he shot the guy in the back (he was running away). That is not reasonable defence.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oh, my.  Sounds like a lot of  U.S. school yards where the teachers punish the kids standing up for themselves against bullies instead of punishing the bullies.

• Like 5

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

You are only allowed to use reasonable defence.

And not using an illegal weapon either. The prominent cases we have had of someone getting locked up include that guy who used his shotgun killing a burglar. Unfortunately he shot the guy in the back (he was running away). That is not reasonable defence.

I agree with that.  But I don't understand why a taser is illegal.  Our police kill people with them occassionally, usually very very old people who have no defense and could just be picked up and carried where ever they are refusing to go.  

Do the police have tasers?

What about bean bag guns?

• Like 1

Looks like a M72 LAW a one shot expendable which I don't think is illegal to own once used.

20 hours ago, aztek said:

because media there did a great job convincing people if they surrender THEIR guns, crime will drop, i'm surprised they do not surrender kitchen knives and walking sticks, and forks

And lo and behold, shootings do drop. Who'd have thought?

oh and BTW that looks like an empty tube, harmless piece of metal now,   \\

also apparently no questions asked is a lie too, they are looking into who brought the tube, apparently they want to prosecute him\her for bringing it, contrary to their claim of not doing so. can't trust gvmnt in anything

Source for this? 

(remember, voices in your head don't count as a source) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree with that.  But I don't understand why a taser is illegal.  Our police kill people with them occassionally, usually very very old people who have no defense and could just be picked up and carried where ever they are refusing to go.  

Do the police have tasers?

What about bean bag guns?

Without a license you are allowed samurai swords, air pistols and air rifles below 12 foot pounds.

With a license you are allowed shotguns, more powerful air pistols and air rifles, and .22 semi-automatics.

Anything greater requires an additional license normally only given to the police, military, or security forces.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OverSword said:

18 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Oh, my.  Sounds like a lot of  U.S. school yards where the teachers punish the kids standing up for themselves against bullies instead of punishing the bullies.

It's also a common misconception brought about by a paranoid failure to understand the term 'reasonable force'. 

You absolutely are allowed to defend yourself, in a manner commensurate to the threat you face. 

E. G. If someone tries to punch you, you're free to punch them back. If they pull a knife on you, you're can seriously injure or kill them (as that is the same threat you are facing). You can't however, kill someone who isn't threatening your life or use a weapon you shouldn't have possessed. So if someone pulls out a knife and you stab them with yours first, you're fine on the self defence side but will be prosecuted for having and using the knife. 

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Without a license you are allowed samurai swords, air pistols and air rifles below 12 foot pounds.

With a license you are allowed shotguns, more powerful air pistols and air rifles, and .22 semi-automatics.

Anything greater requires an additional license normally only given to the police, military, or security forces.

Just a point in this, you can only have curved swords (such as these) if they are made using traditional methods. Most of the tat you used to see is now illegal. Straight swords are fine. For some reason :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Setton said:

Just a point in this, you can only have curved swords (such as these) if they are made using traditional methods. Most of the tat you used to see is now illegal. Straight swords are fine. For some reason :rolleyes:

Well good, we all like playing King Arthur in the woods.

Black_Knight_Holy_Grail.png

Edited by RabidMongoose

2 hours ago, Setton said:

It's also a common misconception brought about by a paranoid failure to understand the term 'reasonable force'. 

You absolutely are allowed to defend yourself, in a manner commensurate to the threat you face. 

E. G. If someone tries to punch you, you're free to punch them back. If they pull a knife on you, you're can seriously injure or kill them (as that is the same threat you are facing). You can't however, kill someone who isn't threatening your life or use a weapon you shouldn't have possessed. So if someone pulls out a knife and you stab them with yours first, you're fine on the self defence side but will be prosecuted for having and using the knife. 

One punch can kill so if a person were punching you can you defend yourself with a cricket bat?

This is a story of a man on the edge
Who all but lost his way until one day, he discovered in his palms
A rocket launcher!:lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Setton said:

What if I defend myself against the guy with the knife with a pistol?

I hate to admit It , it was my rocket launcher. 

14 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

What if I defend myself against the guy with the knife with a pistol?

In that case, in England, defending yourself with anything but your body or a club would be illegal. Guns are illegal and effectively knives are as well. And if you lived you would get in trouble for using the club I’d wager.

Edited by OverSword

just pretend you are a Muslim, and everything will be forgiven guns, knives, swords...... if you are white Brit, forget it, bend over and take it