Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rocket launcher handed in during gun surrender

Still Waters

1 minute ago, Setton said:

And your solution is to give more people weapons?

Not at all and here is where you are confused.  My knife is not a weapon (although if push came to shove it could be used as one) my knife is a tool.  A tool I use on a daily basis for everything from opening boxes to whittling down plastic on my new Fitbit band missed by the factory to make it fit to peeling these little labels off of a page that are really hard to peel without fingernails.  Where you live none of these would be reason to carry one wherever you go because in effect you can't be trusted to use it responsibly.  The government is your Mum and you are it's child. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

You obviously didn't get to the part where he stabbed the intruder in the back. Or where he pleaded guilty. If he'd taken the legal advice he was given, he would almost certainly have been found no guilty. 

Sad, but you can't help stupid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not at all and here is where you are confused.  My knife is not a weapon (although if push came to shove it could be used as one) my knife is a tool.  A tool I use on a daily basis for everything from opening boxes to whittling down plastic on my new Fitbit band missed by the factory to make it fit to peeling these little labels off of a page that are really hard to peel without fingernails.  Where you live none of these would be reason to carry one wherever you go because in effect you can't be trusted to use it responsibly. 

Actually, carrying a knife for all those purposes would be absolutely fine. There's no reason such a knife would need to be more than 3", which is perfectly legal to carry here. 

The government is your Mum and you are it's child. 

I think you forget the part where we tell the government what we want it to do. 

We chose these rules, not them. 

Edited by Setton

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

The idea isn't that they'll miraculously appear mid-assault. It's that they're doing all the work to prevent people feeling they are in a safe position to assault you. It's about prevention and deterence, not intervention. 

Yeah.  I know how it works, I live in a crowded city.  And regardless 99% of the time when a crime is being committed the police are not there.

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

You can have larger calibre for deer hunting etc, most people think there was a ban on hand guns but that's not the case, the law is can you justify owning one, pest controllers can, terrier men controlling fox in the ground can, deer stalkers to finish off injured deer can, knacker men can, vets can, some police forces are allowing 410 shot pistols for pest control, you can still get a licence for black powder pistols.

You can also own any gun if its an antique and you inherit it.

I knew someone with 200 year old muskets on his wall.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Setton said:

Actually, carrying a knife for all those purposes would be absolutely fine. There's no reason such a knife would need to be more than 3", which is perfectly legal to carry here. 

Yes, if you were using it for that.  What if you're not?  What if you just have it clipped to your pocket because you never know when one of those legitimate things will pop up?  Verboten.  Your knife would be confiscated and you would stand before a magistrate.  Please don't pretend our conditions are comparable.

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

You can also own any gun if its an antique and you inherit it.

I knew someone with 200 year old muskets on his wall.

I read an article where someone got in trouble for owning an antique shotgun there.

Yes, if you were using it for that.  What if you're not?  What if you just have it clipped to your pocket because you never know when one of those legitimate things will pop up?  Verboten.  Your knife would be confiscated and you would stand before a magistrate.  Please don't pretend our conditions are comparable.

You are allowed pen knives, camping knives, tool knives, etc.

You are even allow a machete for chopping meat. What you arent allowed are combat knives.

I read an article where someone got in trouble for owning an antique shotgun there.

Shotguns arent illegal regardless.

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

I think you forget the part where we tell the government what we want it to do. 

We chose these rules, not them. 

Oh did you?  I can just imagine you walked right up and demanded that you not be allowed to carry a pointy tool just in case a bad guy could carry one as well.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Oh did you?  I can just imagine you walked right up and demanded that you not be allowed to carry a pointy tool just in case a bad guy could carry one as well.

If we had taken American guns off you guys, you would still be our imperial subjects.

What an error lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

You are allowed pen knives, camping knives, tool knives, etc.

You are allowed to carry those things if you can prove you were on your way to go camping, or imminently about to use your tool knife for it's allotted pupose.  You are NOT allowed to carry a pen knife.  I know this because of several prior threads over the years in which we reviewed your laws concerning them thoroughly.

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Shotguns arent illegal regardless.

Yes they are, except where licensed. Usually for wealthy people shooting skeet or farmers shooting pests.  But you may not have one to defend your home.

Edit:  And don't get me wrong.  I'm in complete agreement that the majority of you agree with your gun laws and therefore find them reasonable and fair in your country.  They just wouldn't work here considering the difference in culture.

Edited by OverSword

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You are allowed to carry those things if you can prove you were on your way to go camping, or imminently about to use your tool knife for it's allotted pupose.  You are NOT allowed to carry a pen knife.  I know this because of several prior threads over the years in which we reviewed your laws concerning them thoroughly.

A pen knife has a short blade and is foldable.

They are legal.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Yes they are, except where licensed. Usually for wealthy people shooting skeet or farmers shooting pests.  But you may not have one to defend your home.

Anybody can get a shotgun licence unless convicted of a violent crime.

In which case there is a cool down period.

• Like 1

Just now, RabidMongoose said:

A pen knife has a short blade and is foldable.

They are legal.

Yes they are.  I had forgotten  Pen knives may be carried as long as the blade does not lock and the blade is under 3 inches.  Mine would not be legal there.

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Anybody can get a shotgun licence unless convicted of a violent crime.

In which case there is a cool down period.

Anybody can get a license if they can show they need it.  Right?  For reasons such as I pointed out.

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah.  I know how it works, I live in a crowded city.  And regardless 99% of the time when a crime is being committed the police are not there.

As i said, not the point. 

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Nope, still fine if its under 3" and folding blade. Which is all it needs to be for those kinds of task. 

Please do t pretend to know the law here if you can't even Google it. 

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Pretty much, yeah. 

Ask the Police! (re pen knives)

"It is an offence to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place, with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is 7.62 cm (3 inches) or less."

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm

"Knife crime tends to be more prevalent in large cities, particularly in London.

"For every 100,000 people in the capital, there were 169 knife offences in 2018-19.

"In 2018, figures from the mayor's office showed that young black and minority ethnic teenage boys and men were disproportionately affected, as both victims and perpetrators."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42749089

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

"It is an offence to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place, with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is 7.62 cm (3 inches) or less."

There you go @OverSword, someone's done the googling for you. 

32 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Knife crime tends to be more prevalent in large cities, particularly in London.

"For every 100,000 people in the capital, there were 169 knife offences in 2018-19.

"In 2018, figures from the mayor's office showed that young black and minority ethnic teenage boys and men were disproportionately affected, as both victims and perpetrators."

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42749089

same thing here,  13% commits 90% violent crimes, and 60% of all murders.  but they blame it on culture, effects of slavery, what a load of crap.  uk had none of that yet they act exactly the same way,  why?

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

That can't be real.

So I can't use a knife to defend myself from an attacker ?

So if the other person is stronger then me I am just *****?

If you were fitting carpet and someone attacked you with a knife it would be justifiable to defend yourself with the  knife you were using the same as if you were out hunting, but if someone punched you and you stabbed and killed them at best you get manslaughter but more than likely you'd be prosecuted for murder, i'd imagine this would be the same in America.

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

same thing here,  13% commits 90% violent crimes, and 60% of all murders.  but they blame it on culture, effects of slavery, what a load of crap.  uk had none of that yet they act exactly the same way,  why?

Imitating their elders.  Same as the Members of Parliament we have who are forever being caught fiddling expenses sheets.

"Almost 400 MPs, including Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, have had their official credit cards suspended for breaking Parliamentary expenses rules."

https://www.facebook.com/LBC/posts/almost-400-mps-including-boris-johnson-and-jeremy-corbyn-have-had-their-official/10157117067146558/

3 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Imitating their elders.  Same as the Members of Parliament we have who are forever being caught fiddling expenses sheets.

"Almost 400 MPs, including Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, have had their official credit cards suspended for breaking Parliamentary expenses rules."

https://www.facebook.com/LBC/posts/almost-400-mps-including-boris-johnson-and-jeremy-corbyn-have-had-their-official/10157117067146558/

of course they do, why else do they go into gvmnt for?  to live a luxury life above the law on your dime, but i doubt it has anything in common with minority violence.   looking at all countries where it happens i'm inclined to think it is genetic.  i just can't see any other explanation to that phenomenon 

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1