Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buerk: "The obese are weak: let them die"

Eldorado

"Former newsreader Michael Buerk has suggested that obese people should be allowed to die early in order to save the NHS money.

"The 73-year-old said those who are obese may be making a "selfless sacrifice" to stop the country being overpopulated if they die a decade earlier than the rest of the population.

"Writing in Radio Times magazine, the veteran BBC presenter said that fat people are "weak, not ill"."

Full monty at Sky News UK: https://news.sky.com/story/michael-buerk-let-obese-people-die-early-to-save-nhs-money-11778620

And at The Times UK: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/let-fat-people-die-to-save-nhs-money-says-michael-buerk-qthkl6ll2

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The more I think about it, this is actually sad. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Buerk: "The obese are weak: let them die"

Where does it stop?  Do we save money by ceasing medical intervention, letting people die of heart attacks and infections? Do we keep pushing an unhealthy diet for money and let people take the consequences including diabetes which we will opt not to treat?

I think the Spartans tried something like that,  eliminating the weak.  If I remember correctly, the Athenians eventually beat them.

• Like 9

actually to be fair to him what he seems to be saying is more that people should be left alone and not be constantly badgered by the nanny state, which is rather different from the way that headlines frame it.

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Terrible thing to say. 

Occasionally I see this guy on the train that is too obese to walk, he rides an electric tricycle.  I wanted to assume he has a medical condition which causes his extreme obesity but the other day I looked in the basket on his handlebars and there is a mostly empty bag of mini candy bars and a half full two liter bottle of Coke and so now I'm not so sure that this isn't a bit of a choice on his part to live like this.

• Like 6

We might better ask: What causes obese people to want to eat so much? There is some underlying infirmity here. This is already acknowledged in smokers and alcoholics. This sort of social Darwinism, that Mr. Buerk is espousing, has long been discredited. Humans have evolved by helping each other, just as much as they have by competing among themselves. Where a person is ill, helping them is the humane response, not gloating over how their misfortune is imagined to benefit others.  

• Like 6

Eating disorders of this magnitude are devilishly hard to overcome.  Try going cold turkey with food.  Well then try just controlling your addiction somewhat, moderating it, you know.  Try getting effective treatment when you have several psychiatric co-morbidities besides the eating disorder, which is common. And yes they do, in their despair, look upon their affliction as a slow motion suicide.  They suffer a lot.

One of my chums from university died in her fifties of morbid obesity.  Her mother had too.  She went to countless psychiatrists and therapists.  Nothing helped her.  And she died, so I guess that was good for the health care system costs.  Yay.  :huh:

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Terrible thing to say. 

Occasionally I see this guy on the train that is too obese to walk, he rides an electric tricycle.  I wanted to assume he has a medical condition which causes his extreme obesity but the other day I looked in the basket on his handlebars and there is a mostly empty bag of mini candy bars and a half full two liter bottle of Coke and so now I'm not so sure that this isn't a bit of a choice on his part to live like this.

Addictions come in many flavors.  It seems like the guy is an addict based on what you describe. 

Some believe that is incurable, some believe it is an illness, some believe it is just laziness or selfishness.  We are used to recognizing addicts as people on the street begging for a fix, or booze or thieves that steal from their own mother to get a fix on what ever drug they are addicted too, but there are many, many more addicts that just  walk by without anyone even noticing.

• Like 4

Of course, Obese people are weak.... 

Image embedding seems to have stopped working on this forum, so you'll have to click on the link. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sir_Winston_Churchill_-_19086236948.jpg

Transvestites are weak.. let them die. 

Homosexuals are weak .. let them die. 

Blacks are weak ... let them die. 

Michael Buerk needs to be interviewed by the Police for hate speech, and HUGELY pilloried by the Left Wing. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bison said:

We might better ask: What causes obese people to want to eat so much? There is some underlying infirmity here. This is already acknowledged in smokers and alcoholics. This sort of social Darwinism, that Mr. Buerk is espousing, has long been discredited. Humans have evolved by helping each other, just as much as they have by competing among themselves. Where a person is ill, helping them is the humane response, not gloating over how their misfortune is imagined to benefit others.  

Sometimes obesity is not caused by eating too much, sometimes it is caused by a sedentary lifestyle.  Two people with the same body type and size can eat the same amounts of the same foods and because of activity levels and genetics, one may be thin and one may be heavy.  Nothing is as straight forward as it seems. 

• Like 6

I think, under the definitions, I am obese :o  (as well as living in abject poverty)

On Sunday I walked 22 miles climbing 4,000ft carrying a 12kg rucksack.   I'd like to see Buerk do that ;)  

(Training with my friend Martyn for www.capewrathrail2019.com )

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Having an autoimmune disease, I am over weight. BUT, I changed my diet and cut out all processed food (except coffee)  I lost 20lbs in 2 months.  Luckily I can afford to eat this way.  So many parents can't and they buy breads and pastas to fill their children's tummies.  What we need is to have healthy food affordable.  It would cut down on medical costs in the future.  What I see is the pharmaceutical companies being the ones with  a problem since it would cut down on the need for meds.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Having an autoimmune disease, I am over weight. BUT, I changed my diet and cut out all processed food (except coffee)  I lost 20lbs in 2 months.  Luckily I can afford to eat this way.  So many parents can't and they buy breads and pastas to fill their children's tummies.  What we need is to have healthy food affordable.  It would cut down on medical costs in the future.  What I see is the pharmaceutical companies being the ones with  a problem since it would cut down on the need for meds.

In the olden days when I was a kid everyone had a garden.  Now I live in the same neighborhood but very few have vegetable gardens.  I only have onions and tomato plants.  :P

• Like 5

eating healthy is NOT more expensive,  directly or indirectly,   processed garbage cost just as much.  you do not have to buy fancy organic food, just do not buy junk. and do not be lazy to cook.

when there is a desire there will be 1000s of ways found, when  there is no desire 1000s of excuses will be found.

yes some people have medical conditions, some do not,  others create medical condition by their lifestyle. and regardless of what what that guy said, obesity does shortens one life considerably,  so it is not that far fetched to say they will die 10 years before their time. 

i hope his blunt words will offend as many obese as possible to the point they look into teh mirror and start doing something, but most likely they will just complain, get outraged and keep doing what they are doing

Edited by aztek
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, susieice said:

The more I think about it, this is actually sad. 

Just the beginning, too.  Government deciding who gets treatment and who is excluded will not lead to good outcomes.  Eventually, a pecking order will be established.  Who would be next after obese people?  Smokers or addicts?  Mentally impaired people?  I seem to recall a government that tried that in the 30s and 40s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Just the beginning, too.  Government deciding who gets treatment and who is excluded will not lead to good outcomes.  Eventually, a pecking order will be established.  Who would be next after obese people?  Smokers or addicts?  Mentally impaired people?  I seem to recall a government that tried that in the 30s and 40s.

Insurance companies are already going that direction.  They will pay for you to get help to quit smoking but will pay less for treatment when you are a smoker and need medical aid.

Or they raise your premiums.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

insurance companies already have higher rate for smokers.  when you buy a new policy or renew old one, it automatically puts you into smokers category, you have to find that box and uncheck it, it is right next to working spouse box

• Like 2

Buerk better worry about himself with this attitude. He's 73 years old and could be deemed too weak himself. Age brings health problems. I'm sure he has some.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember the uproar about skinny models, now we have adverts with obese women in swimming costumes.

Why can't the fashion companies not use models who are neither too skinny or too fat? 

Our younder generation are now shown that being overweight is ok,  skinny walking skeletons is out. Get down to Greggs boys and girls because it is fashionable to be overweight and ofcourse the more food you all eat, the bigger the profits for the food chains.

15 minutes ago, and then said:

Who would be next after obese people?  Smokers or addicts? 

Already in place.

Our NHS is in trouble, mainly because too many people who have not taken care of their health are using it when it could have been avoided if they stuck to a healthier lifestyle.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I remember the uproar about skinny models, now we have adverts with obese women in swimming costumes.

Why can't the fashion companies not use models who are neither too skinny or too fat? 

Our younder generation are now shown that being overweight is ok,  skinny walking skeletons is out. Get down to Greggs boys and girls because it is fashionable to be overweight and ofcourse the more food you all eat, the bigger the profits for the food chains.

Already in place.

Our NHS is in trouble, mainly because too many people who have not taken care of their health are using it when it could have been avoided if they stuck to a healthier lifestyle.

In China in the 50's they had a health care crisis and the solution was anyone who attended daily tai chi' classes/exercise could get medical care, anyone who did not had to pay for it at a high rate or go without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is a lefty attempt at creating hysteria.

It comes just after Gove said it isn't the place of the state to nanny the population. Therefore fat people should be allowed to eat if they want too.

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Already in place.

As long as the government makes it clear up front, I have no problem with that.  I just hate the lying sacks of feces who promise things then pull the rug from under citizens.

• Like 1