Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fossils of new species of giant parrot found

Still Waters

More than 16 million years ago in what is now New Zealand, a giant bird died and sank to the bottom of a lake. Preserved in layers of sand and gray-blue clay, the bones of this behemoth have since been unearthed, revealing what is now the largest parrot known to science.

Of the 350 parrot species alive today, the heaviest is the kakapo, a flightless bird also native to New Zealand. But the extinct parrot, dubbed Heracles inexpectatus, crushes the kakapo’s record: Described from two fossilized leg bones, the bird would have weighed 15 pounds and stood roughly three feet tall.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/08/fossils-15-pound-parrot-found-new-zealand-kakapo/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I like kakapos, but what kind of parrot is so lazy or so brain damaged that the whole species forgets how to fly?  Idk, but perhaps they all let first cousins marry or something?  Still not as bad as New Zealand's retarded lizard, the tuatara.  They are what you get when you cross an iguana with a sloth.  Slooowest lizard ever.  New Zealand is an extremely beautiful and prosperous country with some of the dumbest native animals ever. Australian tree kangaroos are pretty stupid too... It must be goddamn hard work to stop these stupid stupid animals from going extinct.  I plan to donate to the "save the retards of nature" foundation after this.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 2

A giant parrot hmmm? And when he talks, I'd guess you'd better listen! :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, Alchopwn said:

I plan to donate to the "save the retards of nature" foundation after this.

Better add the qualifier that you mean non-humans or all your donations will be snapped up by meth-heads and politicians.

What’s with New Zealand and giant birds? What was going on there that was so optimal for birds that they grew so big they made themselves extinct? 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, Alchopwn said:

I plan to donate to the "save the retards of nature" foundation after this.

Charity begins at home.

• Haha 1