Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Stare at a seagull to stop it stealing food

Still Waters

If there's one thing seagulls are famous for, it's their pro-grade pilfering. They steal your snacks, nick your nosh, purloin your pudding, and liberate your lunch. No morsel is safe in the range of a seagull's beady, greedy eye.

But, as scientists in the UK have discovered, there's a way you can hold them off: keep your own eyes on them.

Yep. Just stare them down. Keep that feathered miscreant in your sights. Make it reeeaaal weird.

It's not just good for keeping your food; in doing so, you might just be able to help save endangered species by reducing conflict between humans and gulls.

https://www.sciencealert.com/you-can-keep-food-thievin-seagulls-at-bay-by-staring-them-down

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2019.0405

Impedancer

If it's stephen seagull he will hack your eyes out. ;)

• Like 1

aztek

that would not work on our seagulls,    hell it did not even work on small storks in Jamaican resort, not only i stared them in the eyes, but i filmed them too, while 1 landed on a chair next to me, and started taking food off my plate,  lol,   

• Like 2

Herr Falukorv

I remember when I was snorkling and a pelican landed on my back, I thought it was my friend who was trying to be funny.
So I quickly rolled around to grab and wrestle him.
Imagine my horror when I came eye to eye with a pelican with open beak and wings out ready to take off.
A miracle I didnt drown :D

• Haha 2

freetoroam

All well and good trying to stare at the gull, but not if it is coming from behind you or the side at a swoop and does not look at you first before it gets to your sandwich.

Mantis914

That doesn't work on grackles or at least the ones here.  I ate lunch at one place that had the windows open during the summertime and a grackle flew in and landed on the table next to me.  We looked at each other wondering what was the next move when he picked up a packet of crackers and made a hasty exit.  I had never seen a bird other than a seagull do stuff like that!