Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Life a Dream?

rashore

One of the strange things about dreams is that, most of the time, we aren’t aware we’re dreaming. Typically, our memory and our reflective ability are substantially limited within dreams (Fosse et al. 2003; Hobson et al. 1998), causing us not to notice incongruencies within the dream and to take for granted that what we experience is real. It simply doesn’t occur to us to consider whether it might not be.

Perhaps even more strangely, even when we do on occasion become aware that we’re dreaming—and according to various surveys carried out around the world, anywhere from 26% to 92% of people have had at least one lucid dream (Stepansky et al. 1998; Erlacher et al. 2008; Palmer 1979; Yu 2008)—the “sensory” experiences of the dream can remain just as convincingly real. I remember in one of my own dreams realizing that it was a dream and then marveling at how solid and real the cell phone in my hand still felt.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mysteries-consciousness/201907/is-life-dream

• Like 9

This is probably the best and only good question I've seen on this psychic forum. Answer, no one could possibly tell. Scientists have even backed a notion saying we COULD be living in a virtual reality etc

5 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

This is probably the best and only good question I've seen on this psychic forum. Answer, no one could possibly tell. Scientists have even backed a notion saying we COULD be living in a virtual reality etc

Eh, well. The dreamer has to exist in order to dream. Even if the dreamer is completely artificial something has to exist to create the dreamer and that's just a rabbit hole into an existential abyss.

• Like 3

Is Life a Dream?

Well from my philosophy of Advaita Vedanta I will answer 'Yes'. In Vedantic philosophy there is only One Consciousness = Brahman. The universe is then a play/drama of Brahman in which rays of Consciousness/Brahman incarnate finite things to experience.

Ultimately only Brahman (our core) is real and creation is 'Maya' (illusion/myth).

It is all a play in which Brahman separates Himself from Himself in Act I and returns Himself to Himself in Act II. Why? Why do humans create plays/dramas? To experience.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Is Life a Dream?

Well from my philosophy of Advaita Vedanta I will answer 'Yes'. In Vedantic philosophy there is only One Consciousness = Brahman. The universe is then a play/drama of Brahman in which rays of Consciousness/Brahman incarnate finite things to experience.

Ultimately only Brahman (our core) is real and creation is 'Maya' (illusion/myth).

It is all a play in which Brahman separates Himself from Himself in Act I and returns Himself to Himself in Act II. Why? Why do humans create plays/dramas? To experience.

Pardon my simple mindedness but could you simplify what you said? I think I got a rough idea what you meant but not to sure.

Many thanks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Pardon my simple mindedness but could you simplify what you said? I think I got a rough idea what you meant but not to sure.

We are a entertainment-experiment for a Living Universe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piney said:

Oh ok. That's the most plausible thing I've ever seen PG post and it's something I cant argue against him with! 

b***** quick PG talk about the paranormal.:rofl::P

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Actually, we ARE that Living Universe would have been a closer synopsis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Actually, we ARE that Living Universe would have been a closer synopsis.

No doubt. :yes:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Many thanks.

Vedantic philosophy took my a long time to understand. 

I'd start with an understanding of what Brahman means from Wikipedia:

In Hinduism, Brahman connotes the highest Universal Principle, the Ultimate Reality in the universe. In major schools of Hindu philosophy it is the material, efficient, formal and final cause of all that exists. It is the pervasive, genderless, infinite, eternal truth and bliss which does not change, yet is the cause of all changes.

Woe woe your life gently down the stream...yeah we're caught in the matrix :p

• Haha 1

Just now, Impedancer said:

Woe woe your life gently down the stream...yeah we're caught in the matrix :p

Well technically, it's on of the only theory which cant be proven if you think  about it! ^^

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

b***** quick PG talk about the paranormal.:rofl::P

My pleasure, what specifically do you want me to talk about.

• 9 months later...

Great question. According to mathematical-equations and Quantum-Physics what we perceive to be reality isn’t reality. And that there are more than just the 3 dimensions, in fact mathematics tells us that there are 10+ dimensions, and many universes. According to spiritual paths (excluding religions) state that we earthlings are merely actors on a stage playing a part assigned to us, everything we experience on Earth is merely an illusion, and that ‘reality’ is in the realm of god, we mortals must strive to reach. 

• Like 3

Our world is no less real than the world of God since despite all the spiritual and material worlds, God totally embraces them as one world, as if we lived in the same apartment building with many floors. The difference is only in the level of consciousness of the lower worlds and their creatures, therefore from the lower of the world we do not see the upper floors and all the invisible energies in our world.

We can't go up like that right away and ask why you came up with the lower worlds and what is their purpose so that everyone knows clearly how things are and have the right point of view.

Since our world is volatile, bad, suffering, there is little truth in it, it seems to us that this is someone’s evil joke or fiction and fun for the sake of someone’s experiment in which we play some role assigned to us, we don’t see and do not feel the eternal soul and spirit behind all things, we don’t  know the divine purpose in relation to us, we do not feel our true Self which would give us a sense of the eternal and enduring reality and truth of this being.

So, in fact, we are all the multiple and Divine Persons of the One God who came to this world to manifest our true being and personality, the true Man who is God.

Spoiler

Maya in its original sense meant an all-encompassing creative Consciousness, creative Knowledge and Wisdom capable of shaping, that is, manifestation at the level of limitations and relativity. Maya outlines, defines and creates forms from the formless, makes the Unknowable cognizable and accessible to psychological research, gives the measurable nature of the infinite. Then the word Maya began to be used not in its original sense of knowledge, skill and understanding, but in a derived meaning cunning, deceit, illusion. It is in this second meaning of illusion, magic, that the term Maya is used by philosophical systems.

The whole manifestation is limited to two terms: Vidya(Knowledge)  and Avidya( Ignorance), the consciousness of Unity and Duality. These are two aspects of Maya, which are a creative, formative, self-existing concept of the Eternal.

Matter is a form of substance of being, in which Sat-Chit-Ananda is clothed, exposing itself to the phenomenal influence of its own consciousness and power.
Matter is, without a doubt, absolutely real; it is a structural form of manifestation of Energy.

Matter ... is not material, it is not a substance, but a form of manifestation of consciousness, guna, the result of the perception of quality by the senses.

From the yoga dictionary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:10 PM, BEAR-CUB said:

Great question. According to mathematical-equations and Quantum-Physics what we perceive to be reality isn’t reality. And that there are more than just the 3 dimensions, in fact mathematics tells us that there are 10+ dimensions, and many universes. According to spiritual paths (excluding religions) state that we earthlings are merely actors on a stage playing a part assigned to us, everything we experience on Earth is merely an illusion, and that ‘reality’ is in the realm of god, we mortals must strive to reach. 

A little off topic, but anyway, had a interesting dream once. I died and immediately entered into some depressive, dark, amphitheatre. There were a couple individuals in the audience, observing, whispering to each other. The actors/actresses on stage were reenacting the final moments of my death. Then, moving on, reenacting whichever recently departed arrived next. It was like some demented form of purgatory. Anyway (as Coil mentioned) "someone's experiment" I really hope not. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:00 AM, Golden Duck said:

Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang Boom ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay

That's what they call a "big bang" in another parallel universe :P

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, brian100 said:

Dream world is probably what the ghost world is like.. fake. Unreal..

No, Dream World is real,it's on the Gold Coast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, openozy said:

No, Dream World is real,it's on the Gold Coast.

Lol. And original home to one of the most questionable TV shows ever: Big Brother. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 6:11 AM, rashore said:

I am uncertain that life is a dream, however I believe that we all have the answers to all eternal question within us and if we are having difficulties in our lives by searching within our own minds we can the find the answers to those or any other problems that may occur. I think if it were discovered that God was at the core of our Universe, and we traveled to the core. When we arrived and peered out the widow of our space craft to see God, we would actually see a reflection of ourselves looking back at us. I am a believer that all we worship, cherish, love, and search for can be found within each of us, and that true happiness occurs when two people who have found this, meet and share their gifts. So in my opinion no one needs to look for anything, all we to do is look into our minds and there we will find all we seek.

Peace

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

In any case, it is better that life is a dream, than that it is a nightmare..

A bit of both really.

• Like 1