Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chernobyl vodka: first consumer product made in exclusion zone

Still Waters

"It's the only bottle in existence - I tremble when I pick it up," says Prof Jim Smith, gingerly lifting a bottle of Atomik grain spirit.

The "artisan vodka", made with grain and water from the Chernobyl exclusion zone, is the first consumer product to come from the abandoned area around the damaged nuclear power plant.

The team started the vodka project by growing crops on a farm in the zone.

"Our idea then was [to use that rye grain] to make a spirit," they say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49251471

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That's funny. It's written "самогон" on the bottle, which means "moonshine". Anyways it's a hard drug for addicts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It’s probably perfectly safe to drink, but there is no way I’m gonna try it :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

It’s probably perfectly safe to drink, but there is no way I’m gonna try it :P

I'd try it.  One shot and you'll be glowing.  What's not to like about looking radiant!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I'd try it.  One shot and you'll be glowing.  What's not to like about looking radiant!

It’s Ukraine.

The claw is what you don’t want to go close to... Have you seen it? What they used to disassemble the reactors and housing? 

A lovely massive solid mechanical metal claw! 

It’s sat in the forest, and still apparently the most radioactive thing you can get to. Just sat in a non-descript location in the forest.

I don’t think the location of the claw is easy to find, or publicly available (pls let me know if is, I haven’t pushed for it). But I would love to tour the buildings and the exclusion zone. Such an amazing and surreal place. 

The wildlife has bounced back and now it’s basically like a pristine national park.

I’m sure the vodka would be fine!

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

And you probably grow an extra arm or two could be handy :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The only problem that I would have with drinking it is that it is VODKA. YUUUK! I wonder if they could make some atomic Tequila?

Edited by DanL
  • Like 1

There were thousands of people who wanted to drink the putrid water of an Egyptian sarcophagus. We have the Darwin awards. A Guinness record looms. Just think of this as chlorinating the gene pool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Latest:

Chernobyl alcohol drink seized by authorities

The first bottles of an "artisanal spirit" made using apples grown near the Chernobyl nuclear power plant have been seized by Ukrainian authorities.

The Chernobyl Spirit Company said 1,500 bottles of Atomik alcoholic drink were confiscated on 19 March and taken to the Kyiv Prosecutor's office.

Officers took the shipment from a truck at a distillery in the Carpathians.

The spirit, its producers say, is Chernobyl's first consumer product since the 1986 nuclear disaster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57011695

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Latest:

Chernobyl alcohol drink seized by authorities

The first bottles of an "artisanal spirit" made using apples grown near the Chernobyl nuclear power plant have been seized by Ukrainian authorities.

The Chernobyl Spirit Company said 1,500 bottles of Atomik alcoholic drink were confiscated on 19 March and taken to the Kyiv Prosecutor's office.

Officers took the shipment from a truck at a distillery in the Carpathians.

The spirit, its producers say, is Chernobyl's first consumer product since the 1986 nuclear disaster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57011695

That's pretty cool, you can order a Vodka on the Rock that Glows in the Dark!!!!!:w00t::P