Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happens if a signal is found?

Hazzard

IF a signal was found and communication was possible, I doubt that it would take too long to develop some kind of basic dialogue for the simple fact humans can train animals to understand commands, an there was that famous gorilla that learned sign language.  So animals mine as well be aliens . To get across basic things such as what yes and no means, hello, good bye. 

BUT it is all peanuts  because the only ones who would be able to communicate are the scientists who have the actual equipment to do so.

An while it is interesting ,  I still do not see the incentive for an advance species in space to want to have humanity from a planet with way too many problems, and diseases , to come and visit their planet, and bring their issues there on top of possible new diseases.

An unlike the internet where we can do a search on " How to " or plug in something like, Define....

the majority of us are not going to have that option to interact with an advance species.  we will be left with a very small fraction of humanity communicating and making decisions for pretty much all of the planet if contact is ever made.

18 minutes ago, GLCsector3295 said:

IF a signal was found and communication was possible, I doubt that it would take too long to develop some kind of basic dialogue

hmmm, interesting way of looking at it...

it would be like playing internet chess where you have to wait 70+ years for the next move

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dejarma said:

hmmm, interesting way of looking at it...

it would be like playing internet chess where you have to wait 70+ years for the next move

I believe that however awesome first contact, a ship landing, would be, it would freak people out. I think a signal from an intelligent ET civilisation would do plenty for me. Even if said signal was 10 000 years away/old.

8 hours ago, stereologist said:

Besides the wrong pair of conjugates there is no need to use mirrors as you claim. You mention moving the "mirrors" fast. Fast i n this scenario is at relativistic speeds. The reason for relativistic speeds is told earlier in the video. The plates must move fast enough to  interfere with the particles annihilating each other and vanishing.

This physicist does NOT mention negative energy. He discusses virtual particles. That is another means of describing physics.

Then you mention quantum cryptography. It does NOT use entanglement to communicate information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cryptography

As I pointed out there is a proved theorem that says entanglement cannot be used to communicate information.

Just in case you want to move the goal posts here is a list of some of your claims.

1. Show that negative is more than a concept.

2. Show that negative energy widens the speed range.

3, Show that there is a way to communicate with quantum entanglement.

You've shown number 1 to be more than a concept, but you've also shown that are other interpretations of physics that do not involve negative energy.

You failed to support number 2.

You failed to support number 3.

I dont have to justify myself to you.

I am not wasting my time trying to educate someone who doesnt know what they are going on about, and wont listen to someone qualified to talk about it. You are now going onto ignore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

IF a signal was found and communication was possible, I doubt that it would take too long to develop some kind of basic dialogue for the simple fact humans can train animals to understand commands, an there was that famous gorilla that learned sign language.  So animals mine as well be aliens . To get across basic things such as what yes and no means, hello, good bye. 

BUT it is all peanuts  because the only ones who would be able to communicate are the scientists who have the actual equipment to do so.

An while it is interesting ,  I still do not see the incentive for an advance species in space to want to have humanity from a planet with way too many problems, and diseases , to come and visit their planet, and bring their issues there on top of possible new diseases.

An unlike the internet where we can do a search on " How to " or plug in something like, Define....

the majority of us are not going to have that option to interact with an advance species.  we will be left with a very small fraction of humanity communicating and making decisions for pretty much all of the planet if contact is ever made.

Sure, it took just a few days to establish communication with native Americans

Englishman (this is a plate, this is a spoon, this is a steak) Native American (equivalents). And after a couple of months they could hold whole conversations with each other.

Edited by RabidMongoose

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I am not wasting my time trying to educate someone who doesnt know what they are going on about, and wont listen to someone qualified to talk about it. You are now going onto ignore.

But Stereologist was right though. One of the good things about UM is the people right here in the many different forums. I have learn lots of new things from many of them over the years. One of those things is to be able to change my mind whenever Im presented with new facts... if someone corrected me when I was wrong about something I usually said Thanks, learned something new, and moved on with my day...

Putting someone on ignore never even crossed my mind.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

IF a signal was found and communication was possible,

If that day ever comes I seriously hope that they keep the politicians and the religious crowd out of the picture. The people that should "do the talking" are scientists. Real scientists. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hazzard said:

If that day ever comes I seriously hope that they keep the politicians and the religious crowd out of the picture. The people that should "do the talking" are scientists. Real scientists. 

This time infinite.

11 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

This time infinite.

Im sorry, what? 

On 8/9/2019 at 11:23 PM, Hazzard said:

Arecibo records strange signals from the region of Ross 128.  The SETI Institute's Allen Telescope Array joins the effort to uncover the source.

https://www.seti.org/signals-nearby-star-system

Despite what you might expect (especially if you are into Conspiracy theories) this protocol is not a classified government document stashed in a safe. Theres no sealed envelope to be ripped open. The text can be found on many websites and is straightforward and unsurprising. It states that scientists making the discovery should first do all they can to prove that the signal is truly extraterrestrial, then alert other astronomers (who would turn their telescopes to the new find), inform the government and tell the public. 

The biggest discovery of all time would result in big headlines in the morning newspapers, followed by a blistering stream of radio and TV reports? Seti practitioners and astronomers have no policy of secrecy, there are many in other countries than the US you know, and consequently any intriguing signals they find are quickly noted by the media. Then the "fun" would begin! 

Holy ****, I cannot imagine releasing that information and having hordes of crazys going nuts, religious zealots claiming the end of the world, press vans everywhere covering the nutty reactions, "THE END IS NOW",  aluminum foil sales tripling in a matter of days of the revelation, etc., etc... With that in mind, if I was on the team that actually received intelligent signals that could only be from extraterrestrial life, even I might be inclined to keep it an absolute secret?!

To detect a signal from another planet be wondrous. It would show that the appearance of life that can comprehend their own existence is not some improbable miracle, but a frequent occurrence? 

In the 17th century, when early telescopes were revealing great clouds of stars, French mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal wrote that the enormity of space terrified him. "Space is enormous. To learn that others are out there would be a comfort". 

I’d imagine a fair chunk of humanity would call “fake” on it. 

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’d imagine a fair chunk of humanity would call “fake” on it. 

The signal?

30 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I reckon people would go 

That's cool. 

Absolutely. But there will of course be the usual crowd doubting. I meen we have grown men and women believing the moonlanding was faked and that the Earth is flat for Gods sake! 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, Hazzard said:

I believe that however awesome first contact, a ship landing, would be, it would freak people out.

if this were to really happen, my guess would be they'd tell us they're the first to come here...

if this were the case can the likes of Travis Walton & the Rendlesham gang technically be done for fraud?;) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

if this were to really happen, my guess would be they'd tell us they're the first to come here...

That is a bizarre comment. How do you suppose they'd know, any better than us, what had been here ?

13 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That is a bizarre comment. How do you suppose they'd know, any better than us, what had been here ?

if they did say that; you'd question it would you? would you suggest they should 'think outside of the box'? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

if they did say that; you'd question it would you? would you suggest they should 'think outside of the box'? 

Assuming we could ask such a question, the obvious one would be, how do you know you are the first ? The idea that aliens would appear for the first time here, after billions of years, in our brief time, seems utterly improbable.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Assuming we could ask such a question, the obvious one would be, how do you know you are the first ? The idea that aliens would appear for the first time here, after billions of years, in our brief time, seems utterly improbable.

oh ok then

36 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Unless of course the galaxy is full of life and the high tech aliens only find it worth their wile to come visit civilizations that "show themselves". In our case our expanding radio bubble?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Habitat said:

*snip*  The idea that aliens would appear for the first time here, after billions of years, in our brief time, seems utterly improbable.

Exactly, Habitat.  People cannot help but being egocentric. And they really think that if Aliens do exist, they are only a few hundred thousand years ahead of us.
Totally ludicrous!  If Aliens do exist then the conditions were right for Alien life 10 billion years ago or more, not just at the advent of the earthling.

4 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Unless of course the galaxy is full of life and the high tech aliens only find it worth their wile to come visit civilizations that "show themselves". In our case our expanding radio bubble?

My opinion is that the Aliens came here long ago to find another place to live, as their planet is no longer habitable. When that happened is anyone's guess, but it is more probable to be much earlier in time than it is in the tiny window of time that homo sapiens have been walking around. 

I dont think religion is telling us that we are alone in the universe, by contrary God and his hierarchy of Angels living somewhere outside earth in itself is a revealing story of extraterrestrial beings and their involvement in human affairs. Cosmology is alsi associated to numerous religions from earth.

So why is religion considered a major opponent against religion I dunno.

8 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

My opinion is that the Aliens came here long ago to find another place to live, as their planet is no longer habitable. When that happened is anyone's guess, but it is more probable to be much earlier in time than it is in the tiny window of time that homo sapiens have been walking around. 

Ancient Aliens? Yea, I looked into that, among many other claims, but as always when it comes to these sort of things I found absolutely zero credible evidence for that to be true. 

Have you seen any?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Absolutely. But there will of course be the usual crowd doubting. I meen we have grown men and women believing the moonlanding was faked and that the Earth is flat for Gods sake! 

Yeah, there's always one in every crowd. 

But I think religion would keep insisting it is right, banks would keep charging mortgages and people would go to work. I doubt many would recognise the impact of such a discovery. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

Ancient Aliens? Yea, I looked into that, among many other claims, but as always when it comes to these sort of things I found absolutely zero credible evidence for that to be true. 

Have you seen any?

Of ancient aliens..? No, it is just something I surmise, or at least consider as a plausible consequence of duration.

Take super nova as an example. There are about two per century in this galaxy, which does not sound like much but in the 13.4 billion years that the MW galaxy has been in existence that amounts to about 268 million super novae in the MW galaxy. I wonder how many planets that destroyed. 

And I wonder how many orbited planets were taken out by asteroids or rogue planets which are more numerous than orbited planets.

And of course, a planet can lose its magnetic field that protects its atmosphere from solar winds.

Billions of planets in this galaxy, uninhabitable. Where do the inhabitants go? :huh:

Just something I consider. 

• Like 1