Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happens if a signal is found?

Hazzard

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Hazzard, I have read more than once that with the key ingredients in place - soil, water, oxygen, lightning, the 9 amino acids necessary for life can be formed. They have repeated this experiment in the laboratory many times, (substituting electrical current for lightning).

French scientists claim that there was one key ingredient beyond that,  and it took a long time to come to earth, and that is their explanation as to what delayed the onset of life on this planet. Damned if I can find a link on that. I'd say I saw it some 5 years ago. Very interesting article.

Yes, I am familiar with the Miller Urey experiment. But I am qurious to what the "key ingredient" you are reffering too might be?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Interesting take. Do you suspect that DNA was formed in stars?  I think about that. It has to be created *someplace* that is somewhat common in the universe. 

No I don't think it was made in the stars. I think that some Comets and Asteroids may be the remains of planets that were destroyed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hazzard said:

It pretty clear to us by now that comets contain most of the necessary ingredients for life. The only thing missing for live to form on a comet is energy, its to damb cold. But if you throw a comet into a warm (lifeless) ocean then all you have to do is wait a couple of billion years and Poof!,...Leave them Prokaryotes alone to thrive and before you know it they will be strapped in at the top of a Saturn V.

That's true Comets do have the necessary materials and we know that the early earth was hit by them. But there is also the possibility that some Comets are the remains of planets that were destroyed. So it is also possible that intact DNA strands could be frozen in the ice, only waiting for a warm place to emerge. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, Golden Duck said:

I was more curious about the creation of iron too.

Metals are only formed by a binary supernova. If there was no nearby binary supernova during the formation of our solar system we wouldn't of had many of the elements needed for life.

@Earl.Of.Trumps  Tholins.  The reddish brown stuff all over comets and ice planets and moons. That's the material that kick starts life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Comets are the remains of planets that were destroyed. So it is also possible that intact DNA strands could be frozen in the ice, only waiting for a warm place to emerge. 

They are also leftover material from the formation of our solar system. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are also leftover material from the formation of our solar system. 

Yes that is very true, but it appears that they do contain the building blocks needed to form complex DNA.

There is a great deal of information online that supports this idea.

Here is a link to one article.  https://phys.org/news/2013-03-evidence-comets-seeded-life-earth.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Metals are only formed by a binary supernova. If there was no nearby binary supernova during the formation of our solar system we wouldn't of had many of the elements needed for life.

No way to know that, right?

1 hour ago, Piney said:

@Earl.Of.Trumps  Tholins.  The reddish brown stuff all over comets and ice planets and moons. That's the material that kick starts life. 

Piney, could you please explain why stellar nucleosynthesis of metals would only occur in binary star systems? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Google it. :yes:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bison said:

Piney, could you please explain why stellar nucleosynthesis of metals would only occur in binary star systems? Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/C/Chemical+Evolution

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-10/nion-lsi101118.php

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here a link to a discovery of a small metal sphere that was collected from the upper atmosphere. It has a Titanium shell filled with a strange material containing DNA. The question is where did it come from, the scientist beleive it came from outer space, because it impacted on their collector and left a small impact crater. 

https://marketbusinessnews.com/tiny-ball-filled-dna-alien-seed-life/48500/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

No I don't think it was made in the stars. I think that some Comets and Asteroids may be the remains of planets that were destroyed. 

Comets are unlikely to be parts of destroyed planets. Asteroids collectively are not much matter and could not form a planet if they were all  put together.

51 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Comets are unlikely to be parts of destroyed planets. Asteroids collectively are not much matter and could not form a planet if they were all  put together.

I understand that most Comets are thought to originate from the Oort Cloud, but perhaps not all do. Now your comments concerning Asteriods is correct if you are speaking about those located in the Asteroid Belt in our Solar System. However rouge Asteroids do come into our Solar System from deep space. 

24 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I understand that most Comets are thought to originate from the Oort Cloud, but perhaps not all do. Now your comments concerning Asteriods is correct if you are speaking about those located in the Asteroid Belt in our Solar System. However rouge Asteroids do come into our Solar System from deep space. 

And they do  represent what? Let me check where this is coming from.

" the remains of planets that were destroyed.  "

As an aside, it's rogue, not the color red which is rouge.

Rogue material would not be from a destroyed planet from our solar system, but from extra solar material.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here a link to a discovery of a small metal sphere that was collected from the upper atmosphere. It has a Titanium shell filled with a strange material containing DNA. The question is where did it come from, the scientist beleive it came from outer space, because it impacted on their collector and left a small impact crater. 

https://marketbusinessnews.com/tiny-ball-filled-dna-alien-seed-life/48500/

I have a vague recollection of reading about this a few years back. It seems that this is an article in a lower end journal which only the authors have cited.

I did find what I had a recollection of is that the journal is really a place for panspermia believers to dump their ideas.

Another idea is that the sphere is from a military jet engine. How did organic material get on it? Seems that biological material has been detected at the collection altitude for a long tme

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stereologist said:

And they do  represent what? Let me check where this is coming from.

" the remains of planets that were destroyed.  "

As an aside, it's rogue, not the color red which is rouge.

Rogue material would not be from a destroyed planet from our solar system, but from extra solar material.

Thanks for correcting my spelling. No not all Asteroids come from destroyed planets, what I should have said was that some may come from planetary collisions. Like you have said most are just remnants left over from the building of our Solar System, but some of the material may be ejected material from those collisions. In addition some Asteroids have come from deep space, into our Solar System, exactly where they come from is not known, please see the link below.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/03/mysterious-asteroid-visited-us-beyond-our-solar-system-probably-came-place-two-stars

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for correcting my spelling. No not all Asteroids come from destroyed planets, what I should have said was that some may come from planetary collisions. Like you have said most are just remnants left over from the building of our Solar System, but some of the material may be ejected material from those collisions. In addition some Asteroids have come from deep space, into our Solar System, exactly where they come from is not known, please see the link below.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/03/mysterious-asteroid-visited-us-beyond-our-solar-system-probably-came-place-two-stars

Thanks. I'm sure all of us by now are well aware of Oamoumou which passed through the solar system at amazing speeds.

Where it came from is unclear but where it is going is fast. I don't believe it interacted with anything in our solar system. Other objects that are orbiting in our solar system do stand a chance of connecting with the existing planets. They do stand a chance of landing on a planet. It may be millions or billions of years but that is what it might take on a solar system level.

10 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Thanks. I'm sure all of us by now are well aware of Oamoumou which passed through the solar system at amazing speeds.

Where it came from is unclear but where it is going is fast. I don't believe it interacted with anything in our solar system. Other objects that are orbiting in our solar system do stand a chance of connecting with the existing planets. They do stand a chance of landing on a planet. It may be millions or billions of years but that is what it might take on a solar system level.

I was actually thinking of collisions that may have occurred in the past. However, the recent Asteroid that entered our Solar System most likely has not been the first to do so, even though it's the first we have identified.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I was actually thinking of collisions that may have occurred in the past. However, the recent Asteroid that entered our Solar System most likely has not been the first to do so, even though it's the first we have identified.

In fact I think we can all agree that it was a stroke of luck that it was even detected.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

In fact I think we can all agree that it was a stroke of luck that it was even detected.

Yes we can and begs to wonder how many we have missed. Thanks for your input and your spelling correction.:tu:

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes we can and begs to wonder how many we have missed. Thanks for your input and your spelling correction.:tu:

I wasn't trying to make that correction too obvious by mentioning it in the middle of my post.

I have some typing problems and typed "doe snot". I cannot tell you how many posts about the snot of female deer I had to endure. It turn out that mucous discharge had me laughing for more posts than I can count. It was crazy funny.

Edited by stereologist
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I wasn't trying to make that correction too obvious by mentioning it in the middle of my post.

I have some typing problems and typed "doe snot". I cannot tell you how many posts about the snot of female deer I had to endure. It turn out that mucous discharge had me laughing for more posts than I can count. It was crazy funny.

Please understand I am not offended by it at all, I actually thought it was kinda funny. I normally try to catch my typing errors, but no one is perfect. 

Take care and thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Please understand I am not offended by it at all, I actually thought it was kinda funny. I normally try to catch my typing errors, but no one is perfect. 

Take care and thanks again.

Every time I made a post I was in undated by comments about the merits of doe snot for all sorts of purposes. It was hard to type a response. I was continuously laughing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

A little bit back on topic here... 

So far, scientists have detected about 60 single fast radio bursts and two that repeat. Thereare a number of theories about what could be causing them. "It just seems completely inconceivable that there could be that many different alien civilisations all deciding to produce the same kind of signal in the same way - that just seems highly improbable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46825450

• Like 2