Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Hazzard

What happens if a signal is found?

335 posts in this topic

joc
On 10/26/2019 at 10:57 AM, Hazzard said:

Tabbys star is interesting. But as much as I would like to believe that the dip has to do with some alien mega structure....

https://m.phys.org/news/2019-09-dimming-tabby-star.html

Ultimately, after millions of years, the exomoon orbiting Tabby's Star will completely evaporate, the researchers suggest.

That phrase...millions of years...just boggles my brain.  As if...millions of years from now, we'll be around to take notes.  Mind Boggling.  Or millions of years ago when dinosaurs roamed the Earth....

It's just such a radically unbelievable length of time compared to our 80+ years or so of personal existence.  

• Like 2

joc
On 8/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, psyche101 said:

Yes you're right that's a typo, it should read 2.53 not 253. Thanks for the correction. 

2 light years....200 light years....we are talking about how long would it take a fire ant in Texas to crawl to Australia and back 150, 000 times.

We know that there are no Aliens here because we know that regardless of the number of planets with intelligent life on them...travelling at the speed of light is not even a possibility except in our imaginations.  The only thing that travels at the speed of light is....light.   

Seeing that the closest star is 4 light years away....given that in our current technological advanced state we...not our hardware but we Humans .... have only reached the speed of  24,791 mph (39,897 kph)...

...We could reach  Alpha Centauri in  137 thousand years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lightly

We don't know everything.....there might be shortcuts.    Not saying there is...just that we don't know everything.

psyche101
39 minutes ago, joc said:

2 light years....200 light years....we are talking about how long would it take a fire ant in Texas to crawl to Australia and back 150, 000 times.

We know that there are no Aliens here because we know that regardless of the number of planets with intelligent life on them...travelling at the speed of light is not even a possibility except in our imaginations.  The only thing that travels at the speed of light is....light.   

Seeing that the closest star is 4 light years away....given that in our current technological advanced state we...not our hardware but we Humans .... have only reached the speed of  24,791 mph (39,897 kph)...

...We could reach  Alpha Centauri in  137 thousand years.

True, but chemical rockets aren't viable for long distance space travel anyway. In the 50s the was a project called Orion. Theoretically it could reach 8-12% the speed of light carrying up to 800 people. It could get to Alpha Centauri in about 40-50 years, with time dilation being kind to the occupants, shaving time of the journey from their perspective. It was abandoned due to the nuclear test ban treaty after dangers to earth were realised from rainbow bombs. 

An alternate harnessed energy source like antimatter was proposed for project Daedalus which was proposed to reach Barnards Star 6 light years away in 50 years. 

Hawkings idea of millions of tiny ships deserves merit too. 

I find it fascinating to think what our first attempt at reaching another star might be. I honestly think it is inevitable, if not in out lifetimes. 

First steps seem promising. I think we will visit local stars, other species though, that's a whole other subject. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

ThereWeAreThen
49 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

True, but chemical rockets aren't viable for long distance space travel anyway. In the 50s the was a project called Orion. Theoretically it could reach 8-12% the speed of light carrying up to 800 people. It could get to Alpha Centauri in about 40-50 years, with time dilation being kind to the occupants, shaving time of the journey from their perspective. It was abandoned due to the nuclear test ban treaty after dangers to earth were realised from rainbow bombs. 

An alternate harnessed energy source like antimatter was proposed for project Daedalus which was proposed to reach Barnards Star 6 light years away in 50 years. 

I find it fascinating to think what our first attempt at reaching another star might be. I honestly think it is inevitable, if not in out lifetimes. 

First steps seem promising. I think we will visit local stars, other species though, that's a whole other subject. 

Wait what? Reach Alpha Centauri in 40-50 years???? :blink: Please say they're still going or restarting the program!!

**** the nuclear treaty.:lol:

• Like 1

psyche101
10 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Wait what? Reach Alpha Centauri in 40-50 years???? :blink: Please say they're still going or restarting the program!!

**** the nuclear treaty.:lol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

Theoretically, matter-antimatter drives could reach 50-80% the speed of light. 

This is an interesting read too. 

https://100yss.org

psyche101
11 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Science needs unlimited funding. It really does.

Agreed 

joc
On 11/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, psyche101 said:

I will admit that I had never even heard of Orion until now. 

Very, very interesting!  I read the first 7 pages in the Link at the bottom of this post.  Here are some excerpts:

Another problem was that because Orion was a classified project very few people
in the engineering and scientific communities were
aware of its existence. In an attempt to rectify this.
Orion's manager Jim Nance lobbied the Air Force to
declassify at least a broad outline of the work that had
been done. Eventually it agreed, and Nance published
a brief description of the "first generation" vehicle in
October 1964.  

The Air Force meanwhile had become impatient with NASA's noncommittal approach. It was willing
to be a partner only if NASA would contribute
significant funds. Hard-pressed by the demands of
Apollo, NASA made its decision in December 1964
and announced publicly that it would not continue to
fund Orion. The Air Force then announced
discontinuation of all funding. thus terminating Orion

All told, approximately $11 million had been
spent on Orion over nearly seven years. Freeman
Dyscn stressed the importance of the Orion story
"...because this is the first time in modern history that
a major expansion of human technology has been
suppressed for political reasons."

LINK

It is also very interesting that 2 years after Orion was declassified  Star Trek aired on NBC from September 8, 1966, to June 3, 1969.   

Orion declassified...October 1964.....Star Trek on TV...September 1966

Edited by joc
  • Like 3

Hazzard

The truth may be out there, but it’s not here. Neither at Area 51 nor in the ambiguous videos released by the Navy.

It will take higher quality data – such as a SETI signal detection – to convince the science community that we’ve finally proven the existence of intelligent beings elsewhere.

-- Seth Shostak

https://www.seti.org/newsworthy-extraterrestrials