Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antikythera mechanism

Awlsew

16 hours ago, Awlsew said:

:D lol 

Seriously though, the Antikythera Mechanism is quite the mystery. Who could have had the knowledge and skill for such a piece of technology 2200 years ago?

7B91B353-251D-4307-9FAF-C054E0B7D8E4.jpeg.a8a994c3ae1c29e43a1a3311fd9dc3cd.jpeg

;)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stiff said:

I should have known. I figured this site had multiple threads on the subject and I was surprised when none came up after I used the search feature on this site. When in doubt, Google it.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

7B91B353-251D-4307-9FAF-C054E0B7D8E4.jpeg.a8a994c3ae1c29e43a1a3311fd9dc3cd.jpeg

;)

No. I do not believe in extraterrestrial life forms involved in this technology, nor do I believe extraterrestrial life had anything to do with anything I have posted on this site.

Humans are more the capable of having produced such technology. The question is when.

2 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

No. I do not believe in extraterrestrial life forms involved in this technology, nor do I believe extraterrestrial life had anything to do with anything I have posted on this site.

Humans are more the capable of having produced such technology. The question is when.

It was a joke Awl.

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It was a joke Awl.

Well, succinct clarifications are important. It could be considered that I was implying extraterrestrial life forms in such matters, I am not.

1 minute ago, Awlsew said:

Well, succinct clarifications are important. It could be considered that I was implying extraterrestrial life forms in such matters, I am not.

Dude, it was a picture a kitten, with a misspelling of aliens, mocking Georgio Tsuklaus with a wink emoji after it. Short of me saying “this is a joke” there is no other way of me saying “it was a joke”. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Awlsew said:

True, but doesn't modern imaging technology allow one to produce an exact working model of it?

That's a great point. I'd love to see it. Remember when they made a scaled up version of the small egyptian airplane and it FLEW!  link

19 hours ago, Awlsew said:

True. X-rays do show a complex machine though. Bronze gears? Seems quite advanced for circa 100BC. 

Hi Awlsew

You might be surprised of some "things" in the past if you type it into the search bar. Here are some that have been discussed and presented in past threads.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/331085010077212211/

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

That's a great point. I'd love to see it. Remember when they made a scaled up version of the small egyptian airplane and it FLEW!  link

Yeah, they couldn't practice any form of decent agriculture or metallurgy, let alone control intestinal worms but the stinky footed rock stackers could build a plane. :yes:

Right.....

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Awlsew said:

Given the writing on it is in a dialect of Greek and it has a function to tell you when the next Olympics are....probably made during the time of the Greek Civilization.......

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Yeah, they couldn't practice any form of decent agriculture or metallurgy, let alone control intestinal worms but the stinky footed rock stackers could build a plane. :yes:

Right.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saqqara_Bird

Saqqara-Bird.jpg

• Like 1

@Hanslune

That's not a airplane. It's not aerodynamic,  It's probably a weather vane and the Mongols made something just like it...

......and they didn't stack rocks. :yes:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

@Hanslune

That's not a airplane. It's not aerodynamic,  It's probably a weather vane and the Mongols made something just like it...

......and they didn't stack rocks. :yes:

But what about their feet, were they stinky-footed?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Probably stinky bodied if they just smeared themselves with incensing stuff. :o

• Haha 4

What was it about Kythera, that created opposition ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

What was it about Kythera, that created opposition ?

You just repeated a joke that's already on this thread.....and just about everyone before it. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Humblest apologies

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Weight lifters are athletes, and if they had stinky feet, most likely it's Athlete's foot that is responsible for the bad smell. Apparently they could cure intestinal worms, but never came up with Tinactin. 

16 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Weight lifters are athletes, and if they had stinky feet, most likely it's Athlete's foot that is responsible for the bad smell. Apparently they could cure intestinal worms, but never came up with Tinactin. 

Their smell could cure intestinal worms?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Their smell could cure intestinal worms?

Maggots thrive on gangrened flesh, and the bad smell only attracts them. Egypt was full of flies, and they came very handy when Moses asked the Lord to torment the reluctant Pharaoh, and also the Egyptians with skin disease causing flesh wounds with the 6th plague. And that is why the Egyptians have so much respect for flies.

Six or more generations of fly eggs may hatch in a single summer, resulting in a large number of flies. Maggots are useful in several ways. ... Soon 'maggot therapy' was being used to clean festering and foul-smelling wounds. Maggots not only eat the rotten flesh, they also get rid of harmful bacteria in the wound.

6. Skin Disease

The sixth plague came at the command
Of Him who Lord of pardon is, in every land.
A skin disease took firm root in their flesh;
Their sicknesses were many, their wounds fresh.
Their rest was destroyed, their nerves took on a twitch --
And their flesh like a fire 'gan to itch.
(It afflicted the poor and the rich.)
They longed for death, but death would not come.
They called for him, but he stayed mum.
Pharoah their god they rejected,
Rose up against him like men with madness infected.
Then they upbraided him screaming:
"Where are the good old days of which we are dreaming?
Where is our glory which has passed away?
Pity the Egyptian. He is in a bad way."
After quarrel without intermission,
Pharoah bent to the way of submission.
But soon changed his mind saying: "Despite this brouhaha
I won't let them go, and che sará sará!"

13 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Dude, it was a picture a kitten, with a misspelling of aliens, mocking Georgio Tsuklaus with a wink emoji after it. Short of me saying “this is a joke” there is no other way of me saying “it was a joke”. 

Could have used a Foghorn Leghorn gif.

Harte

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awlsew said:

Ancient human flight? Maybe hot air dirigibles.

The only thing that might have prevented the development of at least hot air balloon technology would have been the creation of an inflatable canopy from a light but durable material. Only such material that leaps to mind that a pre-Industrial Revolution civilisation might have is silk, so only the Chinese could have done so.

• Like 5

How big is an elephant bladder?

Harte

• Haha 4

• This topic was locked and unlocked