Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antikythera mechanism

Awlsew

14 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Maggots thrive on gangrened flesh, and the bad smell only attracts them. Egypt was full of flies, and they came very handy when Moses asked the Lord to torment the reluctant Pharaoh, and also the Egyptians with skin disease causing flesh wounds with the 6th plague. And that is why the Egyptians have so much respect for flies.

Plague number 3 was swarms of flies/gnats. Plague number 6 was a pox.

But any Rabbinical Scholar or Israeli archaeologist will tell you Moses was fictional, like Atlantis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harte said:

How big is an elephant bladder?

Harte

The bladder has a capacity of six to 18 liters.

Link to source there are also very small images there if you click on them will give rather dramatic close up images of an elephants dissected organs.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/0MProboscidae/Elephantidae/elephas/Elephas_maximus/06EleMaxAMDetail.htm

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

So, filled with helium (from one of those helium geysers,) that won't even float.

Maybe a Titanosaur bladder?

Harte

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harte said:

How big is an elephant bladder?

Harte

Whale carcass. After the bacteria break down a dead whale, what washes up on shore.

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The only thing that might have prevented the development of at least hot air balloon technology would have been the creation of an inflatable canopy from a light but durable material. Only such material that leaps to mind that a pre-Industrial Revolution civilisation might have is silk, so only the Chinese could have done so.

Per my previous post: whale carcass.

4 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Whale carcass. After the bacteria break down a dead whale, what washes up on shore.

After the bacteria is almost done working they explode. How do you stop that? 

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

After the bacteria is almost done working they explode. How do you stop that? 

The bacteria do not 'eat' the outer layer of blubber and skin. Not all of them explode.

1 minute ago, Awlsew said:

The bacteria do not 'eat' the outer layer of blubber and skin. Not all of them explode.

Huh? Yes it does. Bacteria eats all organic material.

If one beaches itself you have to get it butchered up fast. My tribe has done it for centuries. 

• Like 2

And this proves what? 

Just now, Piney said:

Huh? Yes it does. Bacteria eats all organic material.

If one beaches itself you have to get it butchered up fast. My tribe has done it for centuries. 

No, they don't eat the outer 'tough' layer of the whales.

Yes they can explode, but not all do. They do hold air. 

1 minute ago, Piney said:

And this proves what? 

Whale carcasses wash on shore. If an animal 'part' could be used for a balloon, a whale carass would be the most likely 'canidate'. 

When out of water and being baked by the sun and the fire to create the hot air, don't you think a whale would burst? :blink:

Whale carcasses wash on shore. If an animal 'part' could be used for a balloon, a whale carass would be the most likely 'canidate'. 

I just explained it down below. It would dry and rend.

That's why us Injuns didn't use 'whale skin' for anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

candidate.....

1 minute ago, Piney said:

When out of water and being baked by the sun and the fire to create the hot air, don't you think a whale would burst? :blink:

Well it depends on the level of decay. Humans have always been quite inventive. A whale carcass does explode, but it does not disintegrate. Besides, you folks brought up the notion of animal 'parts' for a balloon. I am just saying the only animal part viable for a ballon would be a  whale.

Well it depends on the level of decay. Humans have always been quite inventive. A whale carcass does explode, but it does not disintegrate. Besides, you folks brought up the notion of animal 'parts' for a balloon. I am just saying the only animal part viable for a ballon would be a  whale.

Naw, the skins not good for much of anything. Trust me. I'm the great grandson of a Nanticoke fisherman. He use to butcher the beached ones up to render down for grease and oil for the boat and trucks. 

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I just explained it down below. It would dry and rend.

That's why us Injuns didn't use 'whale skin' for anything.

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

True, unless helium was available, or hydrogen..yes far fetched but so it the antikythera mechanism for the time period.

2 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

True, unless helium was available, or hydrogen..yes far fetched but so it the antikythera mechanism for the time period.

Did you read @jmccr8 link?  The ancient Greeks made cooler stuff than that. Then check out some Chinese inventions from that time.

People forget a load of knowledge was lost when Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria burned all the science books. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Naw, the skins not good for much of anything. Trust me. I'm the great grandson of a Nanticoke fisherman. He use to butcher the beached ones up to render down for grease and oil for the boat and trucks. 

Just some ancient myths..high hrothgar and the like.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Did you read @jmccr8 link?  The ancient Greeks made cooler stuff than that. Then check out some Chinese inventions from that time.

People forget a load of knowledge was lost when Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria burned all the science books. 

Yes, vending machines and running water were around 2000+ years ago. But analog computers that chart the heavens? Sure they were around too.

Human controled flight 2000+ years ago? Plausible perhaps.

29 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

No, they don't eat the outer 'tough' layer of the whales.

Er...

That's not floating.

Harte

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

But analog computers that chart the heavens?

Not very accurate ones. 

9 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

.high hrothgar and the like.

I had to Google this, which shows my age. :lol:

My oldest son played Magic the Gathering. :yes:

7 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Greek Fire is another mystery. Was it simply drip gas? If so where did they get it.

Oil seeps. The stuff was highly flammable. 

• This topic was locked and unlocked