Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antikythera mechanism

Awlsew

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

How do you propose to stop the decomposition?

White Kerosene, drip by drip until you have the whole surface area free of gas, which is probably the reason for the excessive bloating, no doubt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Awlsew said:

Ok. The green backgroud was suggesting CGI and pacing 'the chain'. 

He thinks he is a real Paul Bunyan, and not with just the timber, if you know what I mean. Probably will claim to make his own toothpicks.

And if I were really who they make fun of, I would reiterate that old wise saying they use on me, and state again, citing from Matthew 7, which no doubt Jesus had lumberjacks in mind.

4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye? 5You hypocrite! First take the "tree" out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. 6Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.…

49 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

White Kerosene, drip by drip until you have the whole surface area free of gas, which is probably the reason for the excessive bloating, no doubt

How are the pre-industrial peeps distilling white kerosene?

7 hours ago, Awlsew said:

A modified whale carcass and helium would not have been capable of making a balloon? No bones, just the outter tough blubber and skin.

No. Even discounting leakage, helium and hydrogen are not bouyant enough.

As an example, I didn't even have to find the mass of the elephant bladder. Filled with helium. it would only lift a few grams, and I know the bladder weighs way more than that.

Harte

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

He thinks he is a real Paul Bunyan, and not with just the timber, if you know what I mean. Probably will claim to make his own toothpicks.

Sassafras makes great toothpicks but I wouldn't dare claim to be the prophet of a imaginary god. 

No true enlightened would use threats of doom and bullying to get people to fall in line with his idea. No true enlightened would fear. Yet you are both a coward and a bully. Something Plato was not. Let alone a "prophet". 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

And if I were really who they make fun of, I would reiterate that old wise saying they use on me, and state again, citing from Matthew 7, which no doubt Jesus had lumberjacks in mind.

And I would reiterate a saying attributed to your imaginary friend.

Beware of false prophets......:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/10/2019 at 4:36 PM, Awlsew said:

:D lol 

Seriously though, the Antikythera Mechanism is quite the mystery. Who could have had the knowledge and skill for such a piece of technology 2200 years ago?

The device is Greek, and likely manufactured in Alexandria given that the lanugage on the device is Koine Greek.  Alexandria was a collection site for knowledge in the ancient world, and the home of inventors like Hero(n) of Alexandria who basically invented steam power centuries before it was rediscovered during the industrial revolution.  The device itself is next to complete and its purpose is pretty clearly as a means for astrologers to quickly calculate Ephemerides.  I am a huge fan of Hero(n).

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It was actually the control mechanism for the locks that kept Atlantis afloat ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

The device is Greek, and likely manufactured in Alexandria given that the lanugage on the device is Koine Greek.  Alexandria was a collection site for kbnowledge in the ancient world, and the home of inventors like Hero(n) of Alexandria who basically invented steam power centuries before it was rediscovered during the industrial revolution.  The device itself is next to complete and its purpose is pretty clearly as a means for astrologers to quickly calculate Ephemerides.  I am a huge fan of Hero(n).

I always wondered how much scientific writings were destroyed when Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria forced the monasteries to burn all the books that had nothing to do with Pauline Christianity. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

We're trying to avoid the "A word" now. :unsure2:

• Haha 3

Just now, Piney said:

We're trying to avoid the "A word" now. :unsure2:

Ah... ummm... weeeelll.. I mentioned it, but I don't think anyone noticed ? :unsure2: 

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Piney said:

Sassafras makes great toothpicks but I wouldn't dare claim to be the prophet of a imaginary god. 

No true enlightened would use threats of doom and bullying to get people to fall in line with his idea. No true enlightened would fear. Yet you are both a coward and a bully. Something Plato was not. Let alone a "prophet". 

But alas a fruit cake fits him perfectly lol :) #justkidding im on a diet and not allowed fruit cake lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Ah... ummm... weeeelll.. I mentioned it, but I don't think anyone noticed ? :unsure2: 

Noticed yes, replied to it NO - this is cause they now trying to find some whack job theory to make what you said more real. 

Just FYI it is the key to the nuke sub that transported people From "A" to Egypt... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

How are the pre-industrial peeps distilling white kerosene?

A side joke for other eyes to see, like the cute kittens. Anyway, I thought kerosene was water clear (water white) usually, although sometimes it can have a wide range of yellow/straw color. 

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

I always wondered how much scientific writings were destroyed when Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria forced the monasteries to burn all the books that had nothing to do with Pauline Christianity. 

There were plenty of other enemies of humanity who burned the Great Library too.  I suspect that after Julius Caesar's first effort there were a lot of duplicates and redundancies created and shopped around, both in Alexandria and beyond. While we cannot say for certain how much unique technical material was permanently lost, there are hints that at least one book of military applications of alchemy was amongst them.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

You are getting wiser now, as locks do come in with Atlantis, especially for vessels sailing in from the sea, through a canal for getting to inland ports that are located on a low hill/mountain, and therefore at a higher elevation than the sea level entrance.

But why are you cynics trying to make this thread into another Atlantis thread?

locks.jpg

24 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

There were plenty of other enemies of humanity who burned the Great Library too.  I suspect that after Julius Caesar's first effort there were a lot of duplicates and redundancies created and shopped around, both in Alexandria and beyond. While we cannot say for certain how much unique technical material was permanently lost, there are hints that at least one book of military applications of alchemy was amongst them.

Many of the Greco-Buddhist writings were brought to China by a Greek and Sogdian monks running from both Rome's and later Muslim persecutions but I've never seen any technical stuff in any Temple. It's a shame

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Peter Cox said:

But alas a fruit cake fits him perfectly lol :) #justkidding im on a diet and not allowed fruit cake lol. 

Probably on a diet because you have led for brains, and you need to lose weight to get in and out of your stroller, I'll bet...mom is having a terrible time lifting you, as she's not as young as she used to be, and is losing her youthful strength. Still, simply abstaining from the sweet stuff alone will never get to the proper weight that is good you. You will always be less than good, and always on the right. Simply less than anything that is placed to the left of you < Peter Cox.

And the toothpicks making was in relation to Paul Bunyan, Big lumberjack, Big mouth, Big teeth, and therefore only custom made toothpicks will do, probably bigger than a pool's cue stick.

Here are some toothpicks for your friend in this conversation, our Paul Bunyan. And while I'm at it, give him some floss too.

P.S. And as as bad as that white rabbit is, I would still place him 100 miles to your left, as much as I hate it. @piney<Peter Cox. Still,  you both never get what I mean unless I come down 10,000 floors to his level, or 1,000,000,000, to yours.

cue stick.jpg

rope.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Probably on a diet because you have led for brains, and you need to lose weight to get in and out of your stroller, I'll bet...mom is having a terrible time lifting you, as she's not as young as she used to be, and is losing her youthful strength. Still, simply abstaining from the sweet stuff alone will never get to the proper weight that is good you. You will always be less than good, and always on the right. Simply less than anything that is placed to the left of you < Peter Cox.

Lead. :yes:

\And the toothpicks making was in relation to Paul Bunyan, Big lumberjack, Big mouth, Big teeth, and therefore only custom made toothpicks will do, probably bigger than a pool's cue stick.

Here are some toothpicks for your friend in this conversation, our Paul Bunyan. And while I'm at it, give him some floss too.

Your the cowardly bully with the walls of text. Not me. :yes: 

P.S. And as as bad as that white rabbit is, I would still place him 100 miles to your left, as much as I hate it. @piney<Peter Cox. Still,  you both never get what I mean unless I come down 10,000 floors to his level, or 1,000,000,000, to yours.

I get exactly what you mean false prophet, because unlike you I'm actually multi-lingual and studied history, archaeology, geology and theology. Not made up some nonsense about the story of Atlantis applying to Christianity and the States, and that whole unscientific idea of the Earth's rotation stopping.....which is actually a hoot. :lol:

• Like 5

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

...so that’s two egg mayonnaise, a prawn Goebbles, a Hermann Goering, and four Colditz salads?

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, stereologist said:

It's not an airplane. It's a fish. Calling it an Egyptian airplane is laughable.

I see I am late to the party and that was covered pages back.

I always thought the hieroglyph showed a still.

47e2a190d10cddfaca917944d2007d03.jpg

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Some remain in the Suda.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I am a huge fan of Hero(n).

One could go on and on glowingly about the amazing ancient Greeks. One of my favs is Eratosthenes, who calculated the circumference of earth 2000 years ago using two freekin' sticks!!! That is pure testicular fortitude. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

One could go on and on glowingly about the amazing ancient Greeks. One of my favs is Eratosthenes, who calculated the circumference of earth 2000 years ago using two freekin' sticks!!! That is pure testicular fortitude. 

AND demonstrated it in such a way that you can use it today to prove it to kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

AND demonstrated it in such a way that you can use it today to prove it to kids.

But not flat earthers :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked