Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antikythera mechanism

Awlsew

57 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

One could go on and on glowingly about the amazing ancient Greeks. One of my favs is Eratosthenes, who calculated the circumference of earth 2000 years ago using two freekin' sticks!!! That is pure testicular fortitude. 

Pretty sure a woman could have done it equally well. ;)

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Yes, but then the name would have been Eratosthena.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Or an eunuch.

19 hours ago, Awlsew said:

Whale skin does hold gas. If the weak spots were sewed up to prevent leakage..

Fine show scientific validation that whale skin is resistance to hydrogen and helium retention in the same way goldbeater's skin is.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Fine show scientific validation that whale skin is resistance to hydrogen and helium retention in the same way goldbeater's skin is.

Whalebeaters?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Huh? Wouldn't be easier to just try it? 'Scientific validation' is a modern thing.

4 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

Huh? Wouldn't be easier to just try it? 'Scientific validation' is a modern thing.

"Scientific validation" is "just trying it". :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

"Scientific validation" is "just trying it". :lol:

Well true. Kind of like posting alternative ideas and such :tsu:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

So you didn't know what you are talking about - gotcha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

There is a chasm of difference between "could'a" and "did" 

55 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

So you didn't know what you are talking about - gotcha.

I understand your tone of 'consult those who have already studied such things'. 

Whale carcasses do hold natural methane gas, as that is what explodes out their intestines after they die.

Besides, none of this has anything to do with me. All about the information, not who came up with it.

Edited by Awlsew

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

As in consult people who are established and get paid to do what they do. Can't have folks messing with tenure 'eh?

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

It was actually the control mechanism for the locks that kept Atlantis afloat ! 

Turned the CO2 geysers on and off too.

Harte

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Awlsew said:

As in consult people who are established and get paid to do what they do. Can't have folks messing with tenure 'eh?

I didn't get paid for any of my lithic experiments, shovel jockying, or my rock, soil or core sampling. Just my lectures.

If you want to prove something you have to do it yourself. There are grants though. I didn't need them but they are out there for others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Awlsew said:

Talk to me when /you/ get tenure. 

Or actually know someone with it. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Talk to me when /you/  do the hard work to get tenure. 

Fixed that. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Awlsew said:

We get it you REALLY don't know what you are talking about, lol

• Haha 1

Or it could be an out of place artefact like many others estimated to be million years older but science is wrongly evaluating their age. 

Best example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coso_artifact

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

Or it could be an out of place artefact like many others estimated to be million years older but science is wrongly evaluating their age. 

Best example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coso_artifact

Long ago debunked. The spark plug is merely embedded in a concretion. Concretions can, depending upon conditions, form in a comparatively short time. No mystery involved.

• Like 6

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
9 hours ago, Swede said:

Long ago debunked. The spark plug is merely embedded in a concretion. Concretions can, depending upon conditions, form in a comparatively short time. No mystery involved.

That is the point I am making. The mechanism could be 100 years older or 200. Not 2.000. The salinity of the ocean wont keep metals far too long and the aging process is a accelerating.

Edited by qxcontinuum

8 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

That is the point I am making. The mechanism could be 100 years older or 200. Not 2.000. The salinity of the ocean wont keep metals far too long and the aging process is a accelerating.

It was found in a shipwreck dated to roughly 2000 years old and was found with many other bronze items from that time period. The device shows information about the solar system consistent with what was known at that time. If you watch the Nova show on the mechanism you get to see some of the other bronze statues also found at the site.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

As Stereo has already pointed out, we are dealing with that very important archaeological term context. The site area has been professionally investigated on at least three occasions during the last century+. All the artifacts recovered are, within a rather narrow timeframe, temporally consistent. It should also be remembered that the script utilized on the artifact is also temporally consistent.

As to the preservational state, there are a number of factors beyond strict salinity that can influence the degree of preservation.

In short, your speculation is not consistent with the current and rather extensive data.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Have you read the material which ID's the language that is written on the machine and also that it notes when the Greek Olympics will be held - a little odd that these particular pieces of information would have been put on a device made by some earlier 'invisible civilization'.

• Like 4