Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

A Universe Not Made For Us

862 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Stubbly_Dooright
4 hours ago, Will Due said:
4 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

 Do  more research on the world around you

 

Have you considered doing more research into the world within you Stubbly?

I do all the time. That’s why I feel I can suggest you to do the same. I recognize the lack of understanding. 

By the way, I am going to keep redirecting my questions back to you. I’m not going to answer your questions til you answer mine first. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
On 8/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, Will Due said:

But humans were designed for the universe,

Incorrect. Humans evolved to deal with the environment in which they developed. And if it wasn't for our oversized craniums and the ability to learn and reason, we would be one of the countless extinct species that this planet has given rise to.

And even with our intelligence, the planet has numerous ways to show us that we are very fragile and ephemeral. We are not the biggest, not the fastest, not the strongest, nor even the most numerous creature on the planet. But we are the most intelligent (relatively speaking), in that we don't readily adapt to our surroundings, but we make our surroundings adapt to us.

We cannot exist in a vacuum, which most of the universe seems composed of. We have a limited temperature range in which we can exist and function, without extreme environmental suits. Two thirds of our planet is covered in an environment that we cannot survive in. And if you think I'm joking, try dog-paddling in a lake for eight hours, without floatation devices, in depths over your head.  If you live through it, get back to me and tell me I'm wrong.

Without the protection of our ozone layer, the sun that gives life to the planet would kill us.

 

So please, please, show me how we are "designed for the universe".

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
On 8/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, cormac mac airt said:

So, Jodie asked a question that you can't answer, cool. 

cormac

He gets soooo cranky, when I deny him the whipping he craves. :devil:

Doc Holliday.jpg

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
On 8/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, Crazy Horse said:

And my original post was concerning the Big Bang, ie, the very beginnings of this universe. You were reacting to my post, its not my fault you went off on a quasar.

From nothing we had a BIG Bang, now we have life, matter, energy obeying certain laws and principles, and consciousness too. So from nothing we have all this STUFF. And THAT is a scientific miracle worthy of any God.

Otherwise please explain how we got all this stuff from nothing?

 

Lawrence Krauss wrote a book on exactly that subject. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
On 8/15/2019 at 9:54 PM, Will Due said:

Do you think it's impossible that God is eternal?

1entropy.gif?zoom=2&resize=533,229&ssl=1

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

1entropy.gif?zoom=2&resize=533,229&ssl=1

 

Progressive Evolution.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Progressive Evolution.

That's not how it works.

Environmental stresses create adaptations. Then there is suddenly a "filter" which many times creates a "dead end" or the adaptation itself "goes wrong"

Our hips adapted to walk upright yet our spines never caught up. They are still shaped for knuckle walking. Hence "bad backs".

Dinosaurs evolved bipedalism to chase prey. We evolved it to run from predators. 

The sickle cell evolved to combat malaria.....boy did that go wrong.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiXilver
Quote

Unknowingly, we plough the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the univers in a glass of rain.  ~Ihab Hassan

Absolute certainty seems the realm of the arrogant ignorant.  Arrogant that they've got it figured out and thus, revealed as ignorant in the extreme.

Quote

“In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.”
― Bertrand Russell

The opposite of certainty is not doubt, but openness... flow.

The Universe is not happening to you, it is unfolding as you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
3 hours ago, Will Due said:

Progressive Evolution.

Everything dies.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Everything dies.

 

Everything's born. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
16 hours ago, Will Due said:

 

It's probably just his way of over-confidently playing a game of Russian Roulette. 

 

 

God help us, Will has gone over to the team !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
3 hours ago, Piney said:

That's not how it works.

Environmental stresses create adaptations. Then there is suddenly a "filter" which many times creates a "dead end" or the adaptation itself "goes wrong"

Our hips adapted to walk upright yet our spines never caught up. They are still shaped for knuckle walking. Hence "bad backs".

Dinosaurs evolved bipedalism to chase prey. We evolved it to run from predators. 

The sickle cell evolved to combat malaria.....boy did that go wrong.

 

We became persistence hunters, on the savannah, lost much of our fur and evolved to sweat, profusely. We could wear down and outlast prey in the noonday sun, carry our own shade with us and work as teams until furbearing animals, who evolved to shelter from the sun and remain still, were on the verge of collapse from heat exhaustion. Some tribes still hunt that way, today.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
11 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So please, please, show me how we are "designed for the universe".

 

In the sense and context of what you've asked me to do, if we must accept that nothing has designed us for the universe, then we should also accept that there can never be an arguement that with every progressive choice we make, we will have been the one who had designed ourselves to be, what we are for.

So if it turns out that because of our choices of design, we've become of use to the universe, then we'll have shown to all who can see, how we are "designed for the universe".

In other words, we are at least, designed to design ourselves. Either we will make ourselves for the universe, or not.

 

 

Edited by Will Due

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Everything's born. 

That's a finite tineline - for everything 

Nothing is eternal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
49 minutes ago, Habitat said:

God help us, Will has gone over to the team !

Dead set you are an idiot. 

If that comment does not tell you that you have real problems I don't know what would. Seek professional help. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Seek professional help. 

Know any psychiatrists you can recommend ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne
5 hours ago, Will Due said:

if we must accept that nothing has designed us for the universe,

OK, I understand this part, clear as a bell.

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

then we should also accept that there can never be an arguement that with every progressive choice we make, we will have been the one who had designed ourselves to be, what we are for.

IF, I understand what you are trying to say, we choose the type of person we wish to be.  Except that last bit that implies we have a purpose, or function, in the universe. You've just contradicted the first part of your statement,  "if we must accept that nothing has designed us " with the last 4 words "what we are for."

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

So if it turns out that because of our choices of design, we've become of use to the universe, then we'll have shown to all who can see, how we are "designed for the universe".

Very poetic, but fails to answer my question. You are basically saying that "we are designed for the universe, because we are designed for the universe". A belief on your part, that has nothing to support it.

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

In other words, we are at least, designed to design ourselves. Either we will make ourselves for the universe, or not.

And again, this statement contradicts the premise of the first half of your first sentence by implying that we are designed. You are presupposing that we have a purpose and are not just a natural development in a natural system.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That's a finite tineline - for everything 

Nothing is eternal. 

Every good idea goes bad, every bad idea gets worse, and no-thing last forever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That's a finite tineline - for everything 

Nothing is eternal. 

 

Regarding most if not all of the basic things about life, they come in pairs:

  • Right and left
  • Front and back
  • Up and down 
  • Male and female

And so forth.

Some other types of basic things that come in pairs, are in opposition to each other:

  • Light and dark
  • Day and night
  • Right and wrong
  • Good and bad
  • Life and death

And so forth.

Would you agree we can add Time and Eternity to the preceeding list?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do

 

The way it appears to me, no one has had ought to do with having been born in time.

But here too stands something in opposition in my opinion.

We have everything to do with making those personal adjustments that will result in what was born materially in time accidentally into becoming born spiritually in eternity purposefully.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do
3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

IF, I understand what you are trying to say, we choose the type of person we wish to be.  Except that last bit that implies we have a purpose, or function, in the universe. You've just contradicted the first part of your statement,  "if we must accept that nothing has designed us " with the last 4 words "what we are for."

 

I understand some do not believe "we have a purpose, or function, in the universe".

I happen to believe we do, and that it's my job to design what that purpose for the universe is, for me.

Having said that, I suppose a person can design themselves a purpose to not have a purpose for the universe. 

But I doubt there are many who will purposely do that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, Will Due said:

 

I understand some do not believe "we have a purpose, or function, in the universe".

I happen to believe we do, and that it's my job to design what that purpose for the universe is, for me.

Having said that, I suppose a person can design themselves a purpose to not have a purpose for the universe. 

But I doubt there are many who will purposely do that.

 

 

I don't believe "we have a purpose, or function, in the universe", but that doesn't mean I can't make one for myself. I try to be a good person, not because I have to, but because I want to

I think you will find that there are quite a few atheists who thinks like me. We try to do good things, not because we have too or are afraid what will happen if we don't, but because we want to

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onlookerofmayhem
4 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I don't believe "we have a purpose, or function, in the universe", but that doesn't mean I can't make one for myself. I try to be a good person, not because I have to, but because I want to

I think you will find that there are quite a few atheists who thinks like me. We try to do good things, not because we have too or are afraid what will happen if we don't, but because we want to

 

2tArXlD.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will do

 

"Religion is only an exalted humanism until it is made divine by the discovery of the reality of the presence of God in personal experience."

 

Source

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

 

"Religion is only an exalted humanism until it is made divine by the discovery of the reality of the presence of God in personal experience."

 

Source

 

 

Yeah. It's wonderful humanism when god commands believers to kill non-believers. God is love right and if you don't love god you get the blade to the neck. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.