Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

A Universe Not Made For Us

862 posts in this topic

Alchopwn
On 8/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Will Due said:

Progressive Evolution.

It has been argued with some measure of persuasiveness that life is in fact the opposite of entropy, as it re-orders and organizes the universe, thus becoming negative entropy.  I like the idea.  Given how much of my life seems to be devoted to maintaining various systems that are involved in entropic decay, I must be a negentropic principle.  I believe this is the meaning of life; to ultimately come up with systems that overcome entropy.

• Like 1

psyche101
16 hours ago, Will Due said:

Regarding most if not all of the basic things about life, they come in pairs:

• Right and left
  • Front and back
  • Up and down 
  • Male and female

And so forth.

Some other types of basic things that come in pairs, are in opposition to each other:

• Light and dark
  • Day and night
  • Right and wrong
  • Good and bad
  • Life and death

And so forth.

Would you agree we can add Time and Eternity to the preceeding list?

No, time is wrong. Ephemeral would be the appropriate antonym. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Will do
6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No, time is wrong. Ephemeral would be the appropriate antonym. 

I get your point. 

In the mortal sense, yes, time is short.

But in my opinion, it's long enough to envision eternity adequately. 

• Like 1

Jodie.Lynne
9 hours ago, Will Due said:

Really? You can envision eternity? That is quite a feat.

And, as @psyche101 pointed out, "time" is not the opposite of 'eternity'. Time would be a component of eternity, no?

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 1

XenoFish
27 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Really? You can envision eternity? That is quite a feat.

Imagine yourself in a white room. Top, bottom, left, right, every direction the same blackness, going onward infinitely. Nothing existing, nothing changing. No time, no dimensions, absolutely no-thing. Like staring at a sheet of poster board.

Will do
1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You can envision eternity? 

Yes, usually after a few beers.

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Time would be a component of eternity, no?

Exactly. I most often think of time as an onramp.

Jodie.Lynne
2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No, no! Time is a component of eternity. What you are suggesting is that "tire" equals "car", when a tire is a component of a car.

I'm not entirely sure, but wouldn't the opposite of 'eternity' be 'nothing'? 

Will do
4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

No, no! Time is a component of eternity. What you are suggesting is that "tire" equals "car", when a tire is a component of a car.

Yes but a car won't go anywhere without tires. Same thing with eternity. Without time for those tired to catchup, eternity would a bore.

4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I don't know anything about 'nothing'. I've never encountered it. There's always something. 

Jodie.Lynne
13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yes but a car won't go anywhere without tires.

Annnnnd 'Eternity' is nothing without time. As I said, you tried to set 'time' and 'eternity' as opposites. But, what is eternity composed of? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eons?

How can a thing be opposite to that which comprises it?

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
typo-fu is strong tonight.
  • Like 1

Will do
2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

what is eternity composed of? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Millenia? Eons?

All of them.

But eternity is simply the everlasting now. 

2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How can a thing be opposite to that which comprises it?

They're opposite because eternity goes on forever while time ends.

Another thing that makes them opposite is that time has a beginning while the eternal past is in the eternal now.

Or something like that. :passifier:

Jodie.Lynne
10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

All of them.

But eternity is simply the everlasting now. 

They're opposite because eternity goes on forever while time ends.

Another thing that makes them opposite is that time has a beginning while the eternal past is in the eternal now.

Or something like that. :passifier:

Yeah. No.

Done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Will do

"Sooner or later all universe personalities begin to realize that the final quest of eternity is the endless exploration of infinity"

The Eternal and Divine Purpose

Edited by Will Due

psyche101
14 hours ago, Will Due said:

I get your point. 

In the mortal sense, yes, time is short.

What other sense of time is there? 

14 hours ago, Will Due said:

No its not. Its enough to grasp the concept. Look up at the sky and try to imagine where it ends. One cannot. We can envisage 'an end' but we can envision what is beyond the beyond. 

psyche101
3 hours ago, Will Due said:

It cannot be, eternity is concept of time with no end. Eternity is a time descriptor. 

Edited by psyche101

psyche101
3 hours ago, Will Due said:

Yes but a car won't go anywhere without tires. Same thing with eternity. Without time for those tired to catchup, eternity would a bore.

Eternity exists as a measure of time. Not a seperate component. 

I don't know anything about 'nothing'. I've never encountered it. There's always something. 

As noted, everything is born, everything dies. Everything evolves. 

• Like 2

psyche101
3 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I figure eternity is a very long time, so I figure the antonym would be a very short time. 

psyche101
48 minutes ago, Will Due said:

"Sooner or later all universe personalities begin to realize that the final quest of eternity is the endless exploration of infinity"

Source

By definition that makes the quest pointless, it's an impossible task. 

Will do
11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

By definition that makes the quest pointless, it's an impossible task. 

"There is a great and glorious purpose in the march of the universes through space. All of your mortal struggling is not in vain. We are all part of an immense plan, a gigantic enterprise, and it is the vastness of the undertaking that renders it impossible to see very much of it at any one time and during any one life."

Spoiler

"We are all a part of an eternal project which the Gods are supervising and outworking. The whole marvelous and universal mechanism moves on majestically through space to the music of the meter of the infinite thought and the eternal purpose of the First Great Source and Center."

32:5.2
Spoiler

"The eternal purpose of the eternal God is a high spiritual ideal. The events of time and the struggles of material existence are but the transient scaffolding which bridges over to the other side, to the promised land of spiritual reality and supernal existence. Of course, you mortals find it difficult to grasp the idea of an eternal purpose; you are virtually unable to comprehend the thought of eternity, something never beginning and never ending. Everything familiar to you has an end."

32:5.3
Spoiler

"As regards an individual life, the duration of a realm, or the chronology of any connected series of events, it would seem that we are dealing with an isolated stretch of time; everything seems to have a beginning and an end. And it would appear that a series of such experiences, lives, ages, or epochs, when successively arranged, constitutes a straightaway drive, an isolated event of time flashing momentarily across the infinite face of eternity. But when we look at all this from behind the scenes, a more comprehensive view and a more complete understanding suggest that such an explanation is inadequate, disconnected, and wholly unsuited properly to account for, and otherwise to correlate, the transactions of time with the underlying purposes and basic reactions of eternity.

32:5.4

To me it seems more fitting, for purposes of explanation to the mortal mind, to conceive of eternity as a cycle and the eternal purpose as an endless circle, a cycle of eternity in some way synchronized with the transient material cycles of time. As regards the sectors of time connected with, and forming a part of, the cycle of eternity, we are forced to recognize that such temporary epochs are born, live, and die just as the temporary beings of time are born, live, and die. Most human beings die because, having failed to achieve the spirit level of Adjuster fusion, the metamorphosis of death constitutes the only possible procedure whereby they may escape the fetters of time and the bonds of material creation, thereby being enabled to strike spiritual step with the progressive procession of eternity. Having survived the trial life of time and material existence, it becomes possible for you to continue on in touch with, even as a part of, eternity, swinging on forever with the worlds of space around the circle of the eternal ages.

The sectors of time are like the flashes of personality in temporal form; they appear for a season, and then they are lost to human sight, only to reappear as new actors and continuing factors in the higher life of the endless swing around the eternal circle. Eternity can hardly be conceived as a straightaway drive, in view of our belief in a delimited universe moving over a vast, elongated circle around the central dwelling place of the Universal Father.

32:5.6

Frankly, eternity is incomprehensible to the finite mind of time. You simply cannot grasp it; you cannot comprehend it. I do not completely visualize it, and even if I did, it would be impossible for me to convey my concept to the human mind. Nevertheless, I have done my best to portray something of our viewpoint, to tell you somewhat of our understanding of things eternal. I am endeavoring to aid you in the crystallization of your thoughts about these values which are of infinite nature and eternal import.

32:5.7

There is in the mind of God a plan which embraces every creature of all his vast domains, and this plan is an eternal purpose of boundless opportunity, unlimited progress, and endless life. And the infinite treasures of such a matchless career are yours for the striving!

32:5.8

The goal of eternity is ahead! The adventure of divinity attainment lies before you! The race for perfection is on! whosoever will may enter, and certain victory will crown the efforts of every human being who will run the race of faith and trust, depending every step of the way on the leading of the indwelling Adjuster and on the guidance of that good spirit of the Universe Son, which so freely has been poured out upon all flesh.

Edited by Will Due

psyche101
5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

"There is a great and glorious purpose in the march of the universes through space. All of your mortal struggling is not in vain. We are all part of an immense plan, a gigantic enterprise, and it is the vastness of the undertaking that renders it impossible to see very much of it at any one time and during any one life."

Hide contents

We are all a part of an eternal project which the Gods are supervising and outworking. The whole marvelous and universal mechanism moves on majestically through space to the music of the meter of the infinite thought and the eternal purpose of the First Great Source and Center.

32:5.2
  Reveal hidden contents

The eternal purpose of the eternal God is a high spiritual ideal. The events of time and the struggles of material existence are but the transient scaffolding which bridges over to the other side, to the promised land of spiritual reality and supernal existence. Of course, you mortals find it difficult to grasp the idea of an eternal purpose; you are virtually unable to comprehend the thought of eternity, something never beginning and never ending. Everything familiar to you has an end.

32:5.3
  Reveal hidden contents

As regards an individual life, the duration of a realm, or the chronology of any connected series of events, it would seem that we are dealing with an isolated stretch of time; everything seems to have a beginning and an end. And it would appear that a series of such experiences, lives, ages, or epochs, when successively arranged, constitutes a straightaway drive, an isolated event of time flashing momentarily across the infinite face of eternity. But when we look at all this from behind the scenes, a more comprehensive view and a more complete understanding suggest that such an explanation is inadequate, disconnected, and wholly unsuited properly to account for, and otherwise to correlate, the transactions of time with the underlying purposes and basic reactions of eternity.

32:5.4

To me it seems more fitting, for purposes of explanation to the mortal mind, to conceive of eternity as a cycle and the eternal purpose as an endless circle, a cycle of eternity in some way synchronized with the transient material cycles of time. As regards the sectors of time connected with, and forming a part of, the cycle of eternity, we are forced to recognize that such temporary epochs are born, live, and die just as the temporary beings of time are born, live, and die. Most human beings die because, having failed to achieve the spirit level of Adjuster fusion, the metamorphosis of death constitutes the only possible procedure whereby they may escape the fetters of time and the bonds of material creation, thereby being enabled to strike spiritual step with the progressive procession of eternity. Having survived the trial life of time and material existence, it becomes possible for you to continue on in touch with, even as a part of, eternity, swinging on forever with the worlds of space around the circle of the eternal ages.

The sectors of time are like the flashes of personality in temporal form; they appear for a season, and then they are lost to human sight, only to reappear as new actors and continuing factors in the higher life of the endless swing around the eternal circle. Eternity can hardly be conceived as a straightaway drive, in view of our belief in a delimited universe moving over a vast, elongated circle around the central dwelling place of the Universal Father.

32:5.6

Frankly, eternity is incomprehensible to the finite mind of time. You simply cannot grasp it; you cannot comprehend it. I do not completely visualize it, and even if I did, it would be impossible for me to convey my concept to the human mind. Nevertheless, I have done my best to portray something of our viewpoint, to tell you somewhat of our understanding of things eternal. I am endeavoring to aid you in the crystallization of your thoughts about these values which are of infinite nature and eternal import.

32:5.7

There is in the mind of God a plan which embraces every creature of all his vast domains, and this plan is an eternal purpose of boundless opportunity, unlimited progress, and endless life. And the infinite treasures of such a matchless career are yours for the striving!

32:5.8

The goal of eternity is ahead! The adventure of divinity attainment lies before you! The race for perfection is on! whosoever will may enter, and certain victory will crown the efforts of every human being who will run the race of faith and trust, depending every step of the way on the leading of the indwelling Adjuster and on the guidance of that good spirit of the Universe Son, which so freely has been poured out upon all flesh.

Isn't that just a calvanist view? 

Will do
Just now, psyche101 said:

I don't know. 

• Thanks 1

Will do
2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Some things (or a lot of things) are universal aren't they?

Habitat

This sounds like a most erudite discussion, well beyond my ken.

Piney
12 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I don't know. 

Yes, It's almost a direct quote of John Calvin, which is why I told Will he should read his commentaries. 

• Thanks 3

Piney
11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Some things (or a lot of things) are universal aren't they?

Not predestination. 

• Thanks 2

Will do
12 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not predestination. 

In case you're wondering (you probably aren't) this is what the UB says, amongst other things, about predestination:

"You are all subjects of predestination, but it is not foreordained that you must accept [it]"

• Like 1