Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of the Babylonian conquest found

Still Waters

48 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Could  the tower of babel was in the city of Babylon,  the city was in Iraq ,they found one big one collapsed  building in Iraq . Some think it was the tower.

it just could be the story it was a building reaching  to God just, like all other buildings pyramids ect`s,  but when it collapsed a King of the city  banned all the languages and did not allow in any languages are difference from them  .  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

Also, language doesn't work that way. You don't stop speaking a language because someone tells you to -- look at the Basques, or Occitan speakers in France. Or the Welsh. Or most American Indians.

Most of history demonstrates your opinion is very wrong.

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, larryp said:

The "dead sea scrolls" is about as original as it gets because it dates back 4,000-years. The bible consists of many books, so many books were found-fragmented-four thousand years old. But that is not the point. The point is, when you compare the scrolls to our current bible, you'll find only minor changes. Also, from what they have pieced together, so far, including some books of the bible, that were 75% intact, with only minor errors. That by itself is a feat since the bible has been translated millions of times before.

As others have pointed out, there are variants in all the documents... and the Dead Sea scrolls include books that are not in the current version of the Bible.

When considering "the Bible", as a document it's less than 2,000 years old. Many parts of it are older, of course, but the oldest manuscript collection called"the Bible" is a relatively new document.  And even the meaning of some of the sections has changed through subtle things... dividing the work into chapters within books changed the meaning and focus and dividing it into verses (most people only know a few verses) completely changes the meaning of most things (like taking a sentence or two out of context in a Harry Potter book without reading the book.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

The dead sea scrolls were only found earlier and were never put in the books of the Bible. but I believe who Jesus and Baptist  John were ,members of the Essenes , the Essenes wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essenes

The Dead Sea Scrolls in many cases WERE the books of the Bible, whether in whole or in part. 

cormac

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Also, language doesn't work that way. You don't stop speaking a language because someone tells you to -- look at the Basques, or Occitan speakers in France. Or the Welsh. Or most American Indians.

Most of history demonstrates your opinion is very wrong.

sorry jay but one has to figure out why these stories were written :)

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

They were written to support the alleged Hebrew/Israelite/Jewish religio-historical timeline. It’s not rocket science. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

The Dead Sea Scrolls in many cases WERE the books of the Bible, whether in whole or in part. 

cormac

Researchers have assembled a collection of 981 different manuscripts – discovered in 1946/47 and in 1956 – from 11 caves.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

Edited by docyabut2

Just now, docyabut2 said:

Researchers have assembled a collection of 981 different manuscripts – discovered in 1946/47 and in 1956 – from 11 caves.[

And yet it doesn’t negate what I just said. Nice try. 

cormac

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And yet it doesn’t negate what I just said. Nice try. 

cormac

Researchers have assembled a collection of 981 different manuscripts – discovered in 1946/47 and in 1956 – from 11 caves,

so how could those  manuscripts  be discovered to be in the Bible?

Edited by docyabut2

The Teacher of Righteousness of the Scrolls would seem to be a prototype of Jesus, for both spoke of the New Covenant; they preached a similar gospel; each was regarded as a Savior or Redeemer; and each was condemned and put to death by reactionary factions... We do not know whether Jesus was an Essene, but some scholars feel that he was at least influenced by them.[56]

22 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Do you even understand there’s a difference between fiction and history? Because it seems like you don’t and maybe shouldn’t be allowed online by yourself. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Do you even understand there’s a difference between fiction and history? Because it seems like you don’t and maybe shouldn’t be allowed online by yourself. 

—Jaylemurph 

finding pre history not written before 500bc  :)

Edited by docyabut2

20 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Researchers have assembled a collection of 981 different manuscripts – discovered in 1946/47 and in 1956 – from 11 caves,

so how could those  manuscripts  be discovered to be in the Bible?

The Bible ORIGINATED with many of those manuscripts. That’s why they PREDATE the Bible. Learn something about the origins of the Bible before you post more nonsense. 

cormac

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Wrong, writing started by circa 3100 BC. 

cormac

• Like 1

13 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH 

I like how you tiptoed around that. Not too far left and not too far, right.

Talk about tiptoeing, 32 posts in 6 years?

Harte

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_the_Bible

This table summarises the chronology of the main tables and serves as a guide to the historical periods mentioned. Much of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament may have been assembled in the 5th century BCE.

And there goes your relevancy to the discussion. In this case Wikipedia is grossly inadequate to the task, not that you understand what’s being said anyway. 

cormac

3 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

None of which is in evidence of being true. 

cormac

The Babylonians themselves used two different official languages.

Harte

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, cormac mac airt said:

It's sad how someone claims the Dead Sea Scrolls compared to modern Bibles shows "no" changes when, as an example, the Commandment "Thou shalt not kill" was originally "Thou shall not murder". 

cormac

Prove it!!

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Not that Harte generally needs confirmation, but I do have reading knowledge of Akkadian and Sumerian cuneiform. Both were used by the Babylonians. They are different languages — one a language isolate, the other Semitic. That doesn’t include Elamite, Persian, or Gutic languages also in use in that empire. 

I’d venture to say an American-style, single language speaker was vanishingly rare there. 

—Jaylemurph

• Like 1

4 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

my dear Docy

I know you have spent a lot of time following false leads from long ago and I implore you to continue to grow by looking at what we have discovered.

https://sites.utexas.edu/dsb/tokens/the-evolution-of-writing/

We have exchanged some pm's and I understand what has been going on in your life and you have questions about that something more that we could be, but in all honesty what we have found does not suggest that we have been anymore than what we know and that should be the shoulder of giants that we stand on. 

jmccr8

58 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Not that Harte generally needs confirmation, but I do have reading knowledge of Akkadian and Sumerian cuneiform. Both were used by the Babylonians. They are different languages — one a language isolate, the other Semitic. That doesn’t include Elamite, Persian, or Gutic languages also in use in that empire. 

I’d venture to say an American-style, single language speaker was vanishingly rare there. 

—Jaylemurph

I guess the Akkadian Empire, because they had the first king and the Babylonian