Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of the Babylonian conquest found

Still Waters

2 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

They swing on the tree of knowledge, eating its fruit till they are drunk on it.

Our we jealous because the tree eludes you? :yes:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, larryp said:

Smoke and mirrors-there are biblical, archeological, and historical record as well.

Indeed they are, after 800 BCE. 

Prior to that date, though: no proof of existence. 

By the way, there’s very little need for you to fill me in with historical details. I suspect there aren’t many historical details you’re privvy to that I am not. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

So where is the reference that they had the same philosophical idea on that?  My understanding is "Sheol" is whatever grave your body resides in. 

The last time I checked the Jews went to war with the Ptolemies to remove the Greek influence from their religion. 

The references are in the original Greek and Hebrew translations.

Just now, larryp said:

The references are in the original Greek and Hebrew translations.

Smoke and mirrors! I use the Jerusalem Bible and I don't see them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, larryp said:

You laugh at the most trivial things. Don't you have something better to do?

Your entertaining. :yes: 

Did you find those quotes about Sheol yet? I don't see them in my Bible. 

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Indeed they are, after 800 BCE. 

Prior to that date, though: no proof of existence. 

By the way, there’s very little need for you to fill me in with historical details. I suspect there aren’t many historical details you’re privvy to that I am not. 

—Jaylemurph 

You may need a refresh course!!

37 minutes ago, Piney said:

Your entertaining. :yes: 

Did you find those quotes about Sheol yet? I don't see them in my Bible. 

What quotes are you talking about?

1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

Docy,

According to evolution theory the ancestors were apes for those that swear by that theory. No need for any tests to show their lineage, their actions are evident enough to show where come from, as they are highly intelligent jungle tree-swingers. They swing on the tree of knowledge, eating its fruit till they are drunk on it

Drunk on knowledge. Even by your standard that’s a weak bloody insult. Weak to the point of being a compliment.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, larryp said:

What quotes are you talking about?

Saying Sheol is one big universal grave...

Pay attention Larry! :yes:

12 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

...so you concede you can’t count to four, then? You don’t whine about that part of my post, so I take it you’re fine with that. 

—Jaylemurph

Smoke and mirrors!!

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Our we jealous because the tree eludes you? :yes:

What did not elude me was our rather than are. I would have an excuse for such atrocious language skills, but you?

56 minutes ago, larryp said:

Smoke and mirrors!!

He's one of those that often gazes in the mirror, and asks; mirror mirror on the wall, who's the smartest of them all? The mirror, if it speaks the truth, would reply, "what have you been smoking? However, he's got a trick mirror which blows smoke up his.... and it replies: why you, of course!

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Drunk on knowledge. Even by your standard that’s a weak bloody insult. Weak to the point of being a compliment.

Did I seem to be paying a compliment? Why should you be concerned anyway? You did say you are one of us, did you not? It's remedial night classes for you again, and don't be late. You will get it one day, don't you worry your little head about it! It was not a bloody insult, it was the bloody truth! The tree of knowledge, the tree of knowing good and evil is full of truth. It's not good to be swinging on it. You must understanding it, and know which of its fruit is good for you. You must study its root system, or you will never understand how it works in symbiosis with the tree of life.

Wise men will tell you there is only one kind of knowledge which brings happiness, and it's the knowledge of good and evil. The rest makes one a drunkard, without the temperance of knowing Who planted The garden, where all life originated, metaphorically speaking.

I'm bothering to answer you with all this because I believe you to have a little of innocent sense of humor, one of the few here that does. But don't let it go to your head, as you are a little drunk already, since you do go out to drink with those old boys and girls from around here.

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Did I seem to be paying a compliment? Why should you be concerned anyway? You did say you are one of us, did you not? It's remedial night classes for you again, and don't be late. You will get it one day, don't you worry your little head about it! It was not a bloody insult, it was the bloody truth! The tree of knowledge, the tree of knowing good and evil is full of truth. It's not good to be swinging on it. You must understanding it, and know which of its fruit is good for you. You must study its root system, or you will never understand how it works in symbiosis with the tree of life.

Wise men will tell you there is only one kind of knowledge which brings happiness, and it's the knowledge of good and evil. The rest makes one a drunkard, without the temperance of knowing Who planted The garden, where all life originated, metaphorically speaking.

I'm bothering to answer you with all this because I believe you to have a little of innocent sense of humor, one of the few here that does. But don't let it go to your head, as you are a little drunk already, since you do go out to drink with those old boys and girls from around here.

There is only one evil, ignorance. And it is neither the Cabal nor the fools like I that are demonstrating such an evil so flagrantly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

You must understanding it,

What were you saying about my language skills? :whistle:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

ok but find out all the names of your  ancestors.

Ancestral names don't tell you much beyond what names were popular in that culture at that time.  There's no consistent rule for naming descendants.

Also, last names didn't exist (unless you were royalty) until around 1200 AD and then the spellings varied wildly, according to how literate the transcriber was and what they thought they heard.  As any serious genealogist can tell you, recorded names for the same person can be very different ("Mary" being recorded as May/Airy/Ariel/Mara/Martha, etc, etc.)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

There is only one evil, ignorance. And it is neither the Cabal nor the fools like I that are demonstrating such an evil so flagrantly. 

Oh. I sent your lesson plans to 3 school headmasters ( two Friends and one Catholic) and they all liked it. 

Consider it stolen. :yes:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Piney said:

What were you saying about my language skills? :whistle:

Touche!

I was saying, " I would have an excuse for such atrocious language skills, but you?" The excuse for me in this case? Editing oversight after an impromptu change in wording of an impromptu composition, to begin with. But as it reads on, it's obvious that the correct use did not elude me entirely. "You must understanding it, and know which of its fruit is good for you. You must study its root system, or you will never understand how it works in symbiosis with the tree of life."

Now, if you were witty, as some of the cabal members are, you could have put it something like this. Put away your sword! Don't you know that those that live by the sword will perish by the sword?

I was not at all serious about pointing out something that even the best are not immune to. Not you though, one valiant shaman solemnly dedicated to defending truth....a truth which eludes you entirely. 

Keep an eye out for more mistakes, as there are a few more dollars in it for you, if you point them out....anyone's.

This is the kind of whistling I like to listen to, as you are just whistling Dixie, as they say!

18 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I was not at all serious about pointing out something that even the best are not immune to. Not you though, one valiant shaman solemnly dedicated to defending truth....a truth which eludes you entirely. 

You wouldn't know what 'truth" is if it bit you in the ass with venom loaded fangs.

Now, if you were witty, as some of the cabal members are, you could have put it something like this. Put away your sword! Don't you know that those that live by the sword will perish by the sword?

Your philosophy is a "sword" if it's based on threats, punishment and reward. My sword at least protects the helpless. Your's threatens them with damnation if they don't follow you.

I was saying, " I would have an excuse for such atrocious language skills, but you?" The excuse for me in this case? Editing oversight after an impromptu change in wording of an impromptu composition, to begin with. But as it reads on, it's obvious that the correct use did not elude me entirely.

Your academic laziness is your excuse. You brag of your mortal gains. Spend some loot and take some courses. I do all the time.

"You must understanding it, and know which of its fruit is good for you. You must study its root system, or you will never understand how it works in symbiosis with the tree of life."

Apparently you never studied Jewish Kabbalah even a little bit. You don't even have a surface understanding of the "Tree of Life" concept.

A now deceased member here Yelekiah, made a life long study of it. Use the search functions and find her threads. Maybe you'll actually learn something.  

Edited by Piney
**** Atlantis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

As I said, you are only partially drunk, and your sober part correctly recognizes evil, which ignorance is surely evil when believed to be knowledge. But the drunk part overlooks arrogance, where coupled with ignorance, both become a greater evil than either alone. Falsely accusing yourself is self flattery and a sign of arrogant intoxication, since it's facetious in nature, and therefore false. 

But we have digressed so far into the pit of ignorance that we have lost sight of the topic. One which I should have left dormant, using hindsight.

Cheers mate, and be sure to get a designated driver on your way home, as then you have a much better chance of getting there safe, sound, and still alive. The tree of life awaits you, my friend!

10 hours ago, larryp said:

You may need a refresh course!!

You’re the semi-literate Bible-thumping fundamentalist who can’t be bothered to learn any of the lessons of the important part of the Bible, the New Testament. 

All you do is impotently invoke a petty, jealous, cruel god and insist any part of the world less ignorant than you is “smoke and mirrors.” You’re not christian. You’re an offense to their church and history. You’re a small, weak, lonely man with a small, weak, lonely god to match. 

— Jaylemurph

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Piney said:

Smoke and mirrors! I use the Jerusalem Bible and I don't see them.

Silly, do you understand Hebrew and Greek-Smoke and mirrors?

Hebrew, part of the Holy Trinity of Coffee.

Hebrew.

Shepour.

Theyenjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Gehenna

The Greek name for the Valley of Hinnom, southwest of ancient Jerusalem. It was prophetically spoken of as a place where dead bodies would be strewn. There is no evidence that animals or humans were thrown into Gehenna to be burned alive or tormented. So the place could not symbolize an invisible region where human souls are tormented eternally in literal fire.

Background:

Two of good King Josiah's predecessors had the nerve to sacrifice their son to Baal, in the valley of Hinnom. But as you can see here, the Good king made it unfit to continue that practice. 2Kings 23:10