Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of the Babylonian conquest found

Still Waters

1 hour ago, larryp said:

Yahweh is a jealous God, he gives his glory to no one. 

3 “You shall have no other gods to face me down.  “You shall not make yourself a statue nor any form in the skies above or on the earth beneath or in the water beneath the earth: you shall not do reverence to them nor worship them; because I, your God Yahweh am a jealous deity . . ."     Exodus 20:5

Yeah, petty jealousy is exactly the thing you want in a god. I can see why religion appeals to small minds. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, larryp said:

Yahweh is a jealous God, he gives his glory to no one. 

3 “You shall have no other gods to face me down.  “You shall not make yourself a statue nor any form in the skies above or on the earth beneath or in the water beneath the earth: you shall not do reverence to them nor worship them; because I, your God Yahweh am a jealous deity . . ."     Exodus 20:5

One has to wonder, if there are no other gods than HIM what is there to be jealous of? Is God paranoid?

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

One has to wonder, if there are no other gods than HIM what is there to be jealous of? Is God paranoid?

cormac

Something I read, maybe from Z. Sitchen claimed that the jealousy was not about being the only god, it was about keeping it's followers from sharing their "worship" or obedience with other gods.  But I agree, it is crazy to consider something so petty to be omnipotent and worthy of worship.

29 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Something I read, maybe from Z. Sitchen claimed that the jealousy was not about being the only god, it was about keeping it's followers from sharing their "worship" or obedience with other gods.  But I agree, it is crazy to consider something so petty to be omnipotent and worthy of worship.

But how does one share their worship with something that doesn't exist? :D

cormac

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

But how does one share their worship with something that doesn't exist? :D

cormac

More to the point, how does a perfect, all-good being suffer from personality defects?Seems like if he admits to something as petty as mere jealousy, then maybe he’s not all that fundamentalists like larry claim...

—Jaylemurph  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

More to the point, how does a perfect, all-good being suffer from personality defects?Seems like if he admits to something as petty as mere jealousy, then maybe he’s not all that fundamentalists like larry claim...

—Jaylemurph  

The more human like attributes the more HE sounds like a paranoid schitzophrenic. Yeah, just what everyone needs, to be in charge. :D

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, larryp said:

None of those links worked.

Went right over your head, didn't it.

The links show no use of "YHWH" in the Bible.

Harte

19 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

We want you to be right. So far, it seems all you can do is misrepresent the work of real historians and pretend (unconvincingly) you posses a great deal more erudition than you can in any way demonstrate. 

You should get on like a house afire with Petty. You can lie to each other to your hearts’ content.

—Jaylemurph 

What is a real historian to you?

3 minutes ago, larryp said:

^^^ be careful how you reply.

Why, what are you going to do? Beat him up? 

7 minutes ago, larryp said:

He is a real one, and a real good one who worked hard studying for decades.

What have you done other than read some fictional dreck? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, larryp said:

No, it went over your head.

Sorry dearie, but no. Four links, two to what Bible Gateway term Hebrew Bibles, two to other randomly chosen English language Bibles (including one of the Jerusalem Bibles) wherein I searched for YHWH as per your comment, and found nada. No mentions at all in any of those Bibles of YHWH as a term. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, larryp said:

A real historian is a person who adhering to professional standards set by a council of his peers conducts research and investigations into events that occurred before what is commonly referred to as “today”. This research is done by engaging the mind and comparing a variety of sources of information and formulating an opinion based upon the information from that variety of sources. They then present their research in such a way that another person, either another historian such as Kenemet or Jaylemurphy or a lay person such as Piney or I or Pettytalk could follow their train of thought and either agree or disagree based upon the evidence presented. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, larryp said:

Depends upon the era and historiographical mode — Herodotus, Livy, Bede, Gibbons, Burkhardt, Frances Yates, McKetterick...

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, larryp said:

None of those links worked.

Then provide links of your own, which support your claims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, brian100 said:

I heard Christians were bringing a new religion imcompable to that of Rome. They said Christian its okay to preach your faith but don't tell anyone else their faith is fake. That's what sent Rome over the cliff.

The Scriptures gives clear warning against "idolatry," and it's not ambiguous.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:48 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Son, you’re going to convince precisely zero people here. If you’re here to preach your brand of The Truth, it will fall upon the rocks and whither because we don’t believe you. 

Son, you don't represent everyone here.

7 minutes ago, larryp said:

Son, you don't represent everyone here.

Shall we put it to the test? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, larryp said:

The Scriptures gives clear warning against "idolatry," and it's not ambiguous.

Along with wearing mixed fibres, eating shellfish and the right to sell one’s children into slavery. Utterly unambiguous. 

That Jesus Fellow did clarify a few things, chiselling the 10/616 commandments down to two, and even than some “Christians” struggle with one of them.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, cormac mac airt said:

And yet the earliest books of the Bible, in the form of the Dead Sea Scrolls, don't date beyond the 5th century BC. Which means they are irrelevant to the time of the earliest attestation of Israel which is some late 13th century BC (Merneptah Stele). Imagine that, irrelevant to the first circa 800 years of Israel's existance. 

cormac

What are you talking about? Sounds like a red herring to me.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Which version of the Bible? Because the versions I’ve looked at online (including those in Hebrew) don’t seem to support you.

Silly, do you know Hebrew and Greek. 

On 9/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, cormac mac airt said:

So what?

cormac

The frequency indicates the importance of YHWH. After all, he is responsible for that intricate gas exchange that occurs deep down in your alveoli sac. You should show some respect for the giver of life.