Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Evidence of the Babylonian conquest found

888 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Piney
8 minutes ago, larryp said:

The Scriptures do not teach that Yahweh will torture the bad. Learn the original Greek and Hebrew words for Hell

Hebrews didn't have a "Hell". "Sheol" was just being trapped in your grave. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
1 hour ago, Piney said:

Hebrews didn't have a "Hell". "Sheol" was just being trapped in your grave. 

They did have Gehenna though which is where a lot of the descriptions of Hell seem to originate. 

cormac

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
Just now, cormac mac airt said:

They did have Gehenna though which is where a lot of the descriptions of Hell seem to originate. 

That was a physical place where they burnt garbage and the swineherds wandered around letting the pigs eat what couldn't be burnt and people nobody wanted to bury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph

Great. Another thread where “helpful” religious types come in, flagrantly ignore the “no preaching” rule, p*** off everybody and get the thread closed. 

Thanks, guys! Continue to ignore the consequences of your actions so you can peddle your religious onanism. 

—Jaylemurph 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
26 minutes ago, Piney said:

That was a physical place where they burnt garbage and the swineherds wandered around letting the pigs eat what couldn't be burnt and people nobody wanted to bury. 

True, but the idea IMO just helped support the concept of Hell being a place of fire and torment. Even Hades, in its subsection of Tartarus, was considered a place of fire and torture. The point being that the idea of a Christian Hell didn't appear out of nowhere. 

cormac

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
15 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Great. Another thread where “helpful” religious types come in, flagrantly ignore the “no preaching” rule, p*** off everybody and get the thread closed. 

Thanks, guys! Continue to ignore the consequences of your actions so you can peddle your religious onanism. 

—Jaylemurph 

Maybe the rest of us need to learn to ignore them and have our discussion without them, instead of getting emotional about their silly, repetitive tripe.  I am speaking to myself as well.  I am going to quit responding to the single minded preachers that have no real input in the conversation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
4 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

True, but the idea IMO just helped support the concept of Hell being a place of fire and torment. Even Hades, in its subsection of Tartarus, was considered a place of fire and torture. The point being that the idea of a Christian Hell didn't appear out of nowhere. 

cormac

Wait, Hades was the greek god of the underworld.  Not a place.  Later it became the name of the underworld where the dead reside, but I don't think that was greek, that was some misunderstanding or mis appropriation of his name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Wait, Hades was the greek god of the underworld.  Not a place.  Later it became the name of the underworld where the dead reside, but I don't think that was greek, that was some misunderstanding or mis appropriation of his name.

From:  https://www.etymonline.com/word/Hades

Quote

Hades

"god of the dead in Greek mythology;" also the name of his realm, the abode of the dead spirits, 1590s, from Greek Haidēs, in Homer the name of the god of the underworld, son of Kronos and Rhea, brother of Zeus and Poseidon. His name is of unknown origin. Perhaps literally "the invisible" [Watkins], from privative prefix a- + idein "to see" (from PIE root *weid- "to see"). The name of the god was extended in later Greek writing to his kingdom, also "the grave, death." Related: Hadal (adj.), 1964; Hadean.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Even so, there is no fire and brimstone in hades.  Suffering maybe.  It has been a long time since I read the Iliad and I don't remember reading any greek stories written after that.

Edited by Desertrat56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
33 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Even so, there is no fire and brimstone in hades.  Suffering maybe.  It has been a long time since I read the Iliad and I don't remember reading any greek stories written after that.

...considering the Iliad is one of the earliest Greek pieces of literature, if you read /any/ Greek stories, they post-date Homer. 

—Jaylemurph 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Just now, jaylemurph said:

...considering the Iliad is one of the earliest Greek pieces of literature, if you read /any/ Greek stories, they post-date Homer. 

—Jaylemurph 

At the time I only read books of mythology from all over until I got a copy of the Iliad and read that.  Then I was on to science fiction.  So, if the books on mythology were based on stories written after the Iliad then I read them, but I think they were based on the mythology of the time the Ilaid was written. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harte
1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Even so, there is no fire and brimstone in hades.  Suffering maybe.  It has been a long time since I read the Iliad and I don't remember reading any greek stories written after that.

IIRC, there were also rewards in Hades.

Harte

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, Harte said:

IIRC, there were also rewards in Hades.

Harte

And cake! and pudding! and a awesome DVD collection of every horror film ever made. :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
8 hours ago, Will Due said:

“Don’t think, feel”

”the truth has flown down for centuries, accept it without thinking”. 

 

Meanwhile, in the Catholic Church (you know, the most hide bound, conservative, obstructionist organisation on the planet) allow me to introduce “the three worlds of the text” model:

World Behind the Text: What was going on according to the Bible and to History when the book was written (ie, “why would “Paul” write that?”). 

World of the Text: what is on the page, what is is saying, who is saying it etc?

World Beyond the Text (or the World In Front Of The Text): what does this mean to me, what does this mean to the world now. How does this make me feel? How can I apply this to my life?

 

we are literally teaching children to ask questions of and think about the Bible.to question everything. http://religioncurriculump-12.weebly.com/questions-around-the-three-worlds-of-the-text.html

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
33 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

we are literally teaching children to ask questions of and think about the Bible.to question everything. http://religioncurriculump-12.weebly.com/questions-around-the-three-worlds-of-the-text.html

Stole the Friends School (Quaker) curriculum? Did we?

"Read everything, question everything and figure it out for yourself" Was the first thing they taught us. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Stole the Friends School (Quaker) curriculum? Did we?

"Read everything, question everything and figure it out for yourself" Was the first thing they taught us. 

We stole Easter, Half our Bible, Christmas.... we’re the world leader in idea recycling!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larryp
On 9/23/2019 at 3:29 AM, cormac mac airt said:

He was a barely recognized storm deity from a pantheon that had NOTHING to do with the Jews before they adopted him and made him the sole creator deity. 

cormac

Greek mythology has you fooled. The Jews were warned, don't pay attention to the philosophy of men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
15 minutes ago, larryp said:

Greek mythology has you fooled. The Jews were warned, don't pay attention to the philosophy of men.

GREEK mythology has NOTHING to do with it. Guess you don’t know nearly as much as you pretend to. 
 

cormac

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
30 minutes ago, larryp said:

I'm happy to hear that they are declining since they teach hellfire and torture of the bad, which Yahweh is opposed. 

And yet Jesus, the SON OF GOD, is at the head of that declining religion. Imagine that. 
 

cormac

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larryp
On 9/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, cormac mac airt said:

You’re promoting a “pretender to the throne” as it were since Yahweh was originally NONE of the things the Hebrews/Jews made HIM out to be later. Yet you continue to lie about what MOST archaeologists and historians agree on, evidence of which runs contrary to your claims. 

cormac

Smoke and mirrors!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
larryp
On 9/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, cormac mac airt said:

^^^  BS and lack of intelligence. 

cormac

No! The billions and billions of years fantasy club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
15 minutes ago, larryp said:

Smoke and mirrors!!

You don’t even know what “smoke and mirrors” means. 
 

cormac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
4 minutes ago, larryp said:

No! The billions and billions of years fantasy club.

So, more BS on your part. Apparently you have nothing intelligent to offer here. 

cormac

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

You don’t even know what “smoke and mirrors” means. 
 

cormac

He knows it means “I don’t understand” just as much as we do. 

—Jaylemurph 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.