Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Fiji asks Australia to reduce coal emissions

Recommended Posts

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"The prime minister of Fiji has warned Australia to reduce its coal emissions and do more to combat climate change as regional leaders prepare to gather in Tuvalu ahead of the Pacific Islands Forum this week.

"Speaking in Tuvalu at a climate change conference ahead of the forum on Monday, Frank Bainimarama appealed directly to Australia to transition away from coal-powered energy and asked its government “to more fully appreciate” the “existential threat” facing Pacific nations."

Full report at the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/12/australia-coal-use-is-existential-threat-to-pacific-islands-says-fiji-pm


"Australia, under fire for coal, pledges $339 mln for Pacific climate change."

Full report at Trust dot org (Reuters): http://news.trust.org//item/20190812120754-rk2pm/

Edited by Eldorado
fix link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
tmcom

Yes, heard about the Fi Ji minsters end is nigh nonsense, which l tend to believe he is serious about, eventhough any lsland land that is sinking is due to natural things related to tetonic plates and such, not rising sea levels.

 

Reduce our coal emissions, lol, eventhough it will make virtually no difference globally, cutting our trade with China, India would help, but would also put AU into a recession, (Victoria virtually is, thanks to our dimwit).

 

But l agree that natural disasters is a good place for this, it is a disaster that a prime minister can fall for this crap.

Existential, lol, meaning implying that this exists, or trying to add credibility to two words that are already in rainbows and unicorn territory.

 

But l keep forgetting the Australia is apparently in A Climate Emergency! Whatever that means?

:gun:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
16 hours ago, tmcom said:

Yes, heard about the Fi Ji minsters end is nigh nonsense, which l tend to believe he is serious about, eventhough any lsland land that is sinking is due to natural things related to tetonic plates and such, not rising sea levels.

The only sea-level gauges that show dropping sea levels are those near plate boundaries.  Elsewhere, all gauges show rising sea levels.  Now why do you think this might be?

Doug

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom
7 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

The only sea-level gauges that show dropping sea levels are those near plate boundaries.  Elsewhere, all gauges show rising sea levels.  Now why do you think this might be?

Doug

Ammm, lying, photoshopping skills, gov, grants?

:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
On 8/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, tmcom said:

Ammm, lying, photoshopping skills, gov, grants?

:lol:

Or a total lack of scientific knowledge?

Doug

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
On 8/13/2019 at 3:15 PM, Doug1o29 said:

The only sea-level gauges that show dropping sea levels are those near plate boundaries.  Elsewhere, all gauges show rising sea levels.  Now why do you think this might be?

Doug

I made a mistake here.  There are some sea level gauges in formerly-glaciated areas that are showing falling sea levels as a result of isostatic rebound.

Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doc Socks Junior
On 8/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, Doug1o29 said:

I made a mistake here.  There are some sea level gauges in formerly-glaciated areas that are showing falling sea levels as a result of isostatic rebound.

It's always good to keep in mind that sea level rise is not analogous to a bathtub.  Local versus eustatic effects. I know researchers who like to make that a special point during public outreach.

The summit of Mount Everest is marine limestone.  But more pertinently, there are fossil corals from the last interglacial several meters above current sea level.  Just our luck to have built a global society at an ephemeral coastline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom
Posted (edited)

SeaFrame data, shows no increases in ocean levels around the Fiji island group, with sensors planted about 30 years ago by the Australian gov, with recent GPS sensors and calibration taking place every 8 months making current data very accurate, and it shows NO RISES in ocean levels! See Mad thread for more details.

So the Fiji prime minister is either an idiot, and just believes it, or has done some research and still believes it, or he just see's this as a money grab and doesn't care!

Or some just want to throw fancy words about to try to hide the fact that there is no MMGW.

:geek:

Edited by tmcom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
15 hours ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

It's always good to keep in mind that sea level rise is not analogous to a bathtub.  Local versus eustatic effects. I know researchers who like to make that a special point during public outreach.

The summit of Mount Everest is marine limestone.  But more pertinently, there are fossil corals from the last interglacial several meters above current sea level.  Just our luck to have built a global society at an ephemeral coastline.

The ups and downs of sea level during previous ice ages are why the southeast US has so many tree species.  During low sea levels, the ranges were joined clear across the south, but during high sea levels, species were separated into a pocket in Florida and another in Mexico where they evolved separately into new spoecies.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
9 hours ago, tmcom said:

SeaFrame data, shows no increases in ocean levels around the Fiji island group, with sensors planted about 30 years ago by the Australian gov, with recent GPS sensors and calibration taking place every 8 months making current data very accurate, and it shows NO RISES in ocean levels! See Mad thread for more details.

So the Fiji prime minister is either an idiot, and just believes it, or has done some research and still believes it, or he just see's this as a money grab and doesn't care!

Or some just want to throw fancy words about to try to hide the fact that there is no MMGW.

:geek:

Here in Oklahoma we have climate change occurring right now.  Spring is getting wetter with PDSI values having increased by 1.12 over the last century.  Also, temps have risen by 2F since 1920.  I am working on a couple of projects to provide more detail on those.  Both are believed to impact eastern red-cedar, triggering a massive expansion of its range into what used to be prairie.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
9 hours ago, tmcom said:

So the Fiji prime minister is either an idiot, and just believes it, or has done some research and still believes it, or he just see's this as a money grab and doesn't care!

There are a lot of people who sound off without reading up on the subject first.  You have named two.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom
2 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

Here in Oklahoma we have climate change occurring right now.  Spring is getting wetter with PDSI values having increased by 1.12 over the last century.  Also, temps have risen by 2F since 1920.  I am working on a couple of projects to provide more detail on those.  Both are believed to impact eastern red-cedar, triggering a massive expansion of its range into what used to be prairie.

Doug

Wetter??? Wetter and colder go hand in hand, you don't get wet and hotter, you get hot and dry or droughts!

But this is about the Fiji islands and the solid evidence that no rises in ocean temps have happened, and the fact that we are blowing a rough billion for nothing.

But our dimwitted premier has already blown over a billion on a road project we desperately need, by refusing to go ahead with it, so nothing new.

:o

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Black Red Devil
Posted (edited)

Until Liberals are in Govt it'll probably be easier to squeeze blood out of apples in relation to anything to do with Climate Change.  I'm actually surprised ScoMo is 'offering' A$500 mil.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug1o29
On 8/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, tmcom said:

Wetter??? Wetter and colder go hand in hand, you don't get wet and hotter, you get hot and dry or droughts!

But this is about the Fiji islands and the solid evidence that no rises in ocean temps have happened, and the fact that we are blowing a rough billion for nothing.

But our dimwitted premier has already blown over a billion on a road project we desperately need, by refusing to go ahead with it, so nothing new.

:o

In climate, warmer-wetter, colder-dryer is the rule.  Increasing temps increase evaporation.  All that humidity has to go somewhere, so it falls as rain.

I don't know what is going on with Fiji.  I haven't looked up the research.  It could be that Fiji is rising while the ocean around it is also rising, the two cancelling each other out.  Or not.

Sounds like your premier and our president both need an encounter with one of those Second Amendment folks they refuse to do anything about.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tmcom
7 hours ago, Doug1o29 said:

In climate, warmer-wetter, colder-dryer is the rule.  Increasing temps increase evaporation.  All that humidity has to go somewhere, so it falls as rain.

I don't know what is going on with Fiji.  I haven't looked up the research.  It could be that Fiji is rising while the ocean around it is also rising, the two cancelling each other out.  Or not.

Sounds like your premier and our president both need an encounter with one of those Second Amendment folks they refuse to do anything about.

Doug

In climate warmer/wetter is the rule, l guess that means the colder it gets the hotter it gets?

In our country, the warmer it gets the drier it gets!

Both meet, not really ScoMo, knows that there isn't any ocean increases to date around the islands, but says it might change.

Saving face and money grab, or saving face with voters, and patting a total nutter on the head more likely.

^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.